Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery Radio Burst Messages Aliens?

Yes, the document basically records the intensity and duration of the Wow! signal. But there is no indication if the 21 cm was in any way modulated (AM, FM) and hence included some sort of message. I am not saying it did, but a recording would have been helpful.

As per Ehman, the discoverer of the Wow! signal:

Did the Wow! signal have modulation?

We collected one data point per channel every 12 seconds and collected a total of only 6 data points for Wow! Any variation of signal amplitude within the

12-second interval would not have been detected. The signal could have been varying in any of a variety of ways and we would not have seen it. Since the

pattern of the 6 intensities followed our antenna pattern so well (with a correlation coefficient of between 99% and 100%, i.e., almost perfect), the signal falling

on our telescope had an average value that did not change appreciably over the 72-second observing time. Saying that the average value didn't change does

not tell you anything about the short- term variations in the signal. The signal could have been varying (modulated) at a frequency faster than once every 5 seconds

(or 0.2 Hz, corresponding to one half the data collection period) and we wouldn't have sen that modulation since our observatory was not equipped to detect

such modulation.

http://www.bigear.org/wow20th.htm#intermittency

As per Ehman, the discoverer of the Wow! signal:

Yes, it is a pity that the project was so poorly funded - no recording equipment, and receiving equipment incapable of detecting any modulations in the frequency.

Yes, it is a pity that the project was so poorly funded - no recording equipment, and receiving equipment incapable of detecting any modulations in the frequency.

Thats correct and as per my knowledge Ronald R. cutted the funding down to zero in the 90s to the benefit of his the SDI program. But anyway, today SETI is

better equipped than ever and Seth is running the show quite briliant.

I keep re-playing this quote in my head from the old movie with Jodie Foster, in Contact:

Ellie Arroway: Because I can't. I... had an experience... I can't prove it, I can't even explain it, but everything that I know as a human being, everything that I am tells me that it was real! I was given something wonderful, something that changed me forever... A vision... of the universe, that tells us, undeniably, how tiny, and insignificant and how... rare, and precious we all are! A vision that tells us that we belong to something that is greater then ourselves, that we are *not*, that none of us are alone! I wish... I... could share that... I wish, that everyone, if only for one... moment, could feel... that awe, and humility, and hope. But... That continues to be my wish.

I have to re-watch that movie. It's been years!

Just a fun little tidbit about She-ra: I used to write scripts for Television and Radio. If you notice in the above quote (taken straight from the script) you can see how *my* writing style on the forums follows right along with a line from this script...Interesting, yes? :lol: Just had to share. I just noticed I *still* write like this.

Okay, now back to topic! :)

• Like 1

Thats correct and as per my knowledge Ronald R. cutted the funding down to zero in the 90s to the benefit of his the SDI program. But anyway, today SETI is

better equipped than ever and Seth is running the show quite briliant.

Well let us hope that if any more unusual signals are detected, this time they can be recorded properly and analysed properly.

• Like 1

Wondering if there is any hidden mathematical information in the signal that would indicate intelligence?

you know its probably just a star fart, considering how awsome the chances are relative to how many stars there are and the massive energy of a star its the most likely theory that doesnt have aliens in it

• Like 2

you know its probably just a star fart, considering how awsome the chances are relative to how many stars there are and the massive energy of a star its the most likely theory that doesnt have aliens in it

:lol:

you know its probably just a star fart

You mean something like this: ;)

Carrington-Class-CME-Narrowly-Misses-Earth.jpg

• Like 1

Supposedly the point of origin was out in intergalactic space. Way outside our galaxy. There might be a star there, but I've not seen anything that suggests there is. I'm not sure how common stars are outside of galactic groups.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Could someone more knowledgeable than I explain in layman's terms what a dispersion measurement is and why multiples of that measurement having a correlation of 187.5 might be significant? Is it coincidence or is it something inherent in the source of the FRB? Does it have anything to do with attenuation? Honest questions by the way, radio signals aren't my strong point and certainly not on a cosmic scale.

Hi S2F,

Please allow me to give it a shot.

First we need to define what dispersion is. Dispersion in this context means that different frequency components of a signal travel at different velocities in a given medium. Air, glass, water, etc. The only "medium" that exhibit no dispersion is a perfect vacuum. Space is a vacuum, but not a perfect one and in space signals will experience dispersion due to the particles present (electrons).

Now lets look at why the time delay is important. If we take a sine tone, it (ideally) consists of a single frequency tone and will thus not experience dispersion. There is only the one tone and nothing to delay compared to anything else. However, more complex signals will consist of a superposition of a number of discrete frequency components. E.g. look at the following animation from Wiki (good read if you don't mind a little math):

SquareWave.gif

In the animation you on the top see the signal changing from a sinewave to a square wave and on the bottom you see the added frequency components as it is changing (see how the frequency components change from red to green as the signal becomes more and more square like).

Basically what the scientist saw were discrete frequency components arriving one after the other with the delay seen. So they are hypothesizing that the origin is a signal composed of a number of different frequency components that has experienced dispersion as it was traversing intergalactic space. They are guessing that the origin is very, very far away as they can calculate from the delay between the frequency components what amount of dispersion the signal has experienced and with a rough idea of the average density of matter in space, they can get a rough estimate of the distance traversed. I hope that kinda explains it :-)

Of course, they also acknowledge that it could be something oscillating in some weird way that generates one frequency tone and then after a delay generates another and so forth. Either way, it is fascinating in my honest opinion.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited to add link to Wiki page on dispersion.

Edited by badeskov
  • Like 4

I read this somewhere:

It’s 187.5

1=first

87.5=FM of the first radio broadcast.

In my belief this is a “signal received” message.

I also read that the height of the man on the voyager 1 disk is 187.5 cm. The woman is 168 cm.

Edited by Mind Explorer

SO its true ? Alien broadcast from Deep Space sound just like our Radio broadcast ? I knew it was futile ! Were listening to our own B.S. :tu:

But Star Fart sounds Good too !

Edited by DONTEATUS

Hi S2F,

Please allow me to give it a shot.

First we need to define what dispersion is. Dispersion in this context means that different frequency components of a signal travel at different velocities in a given medium. Air, glass, water, etc. The only "medium" that exhibit no dispersion is a perfect vacuum. Space is a vacuum, but not a perfect one and in space signals will experience dispersion due to the particles present (electrons).

Now lets look at why the time delay is important. If we take a sine tone, it (ideally) consists of a single frequency tone and will thus not experience dispersion. There is only the one tone and nothing to delay compared to anything else. However, more complex signals will consist of a superposition of a number of discrete frequency components. E.g. look at the following animation from Wiki (good read if you don't mind a little math):

SquareWave.gif

In the animation you on the top see the signal changing from a sinewave to a square wave and on the bottom you see the added frequency components as it is changing (see how the frequency components change from red to green as the signal becomes more and more square like).

Basically what the scientist saw were discrete frequency components arriving one after the other with the delay seen. So they are hypothesizing that the origin is a signal composed of a number of different frequency components that has experienced dispersion as it was traversing intergalactic space. They are guessing that the origin is very, very far away as they can calculate from the delay between the frequency components what amount of dispersion the signal has experienced and with a rough idea of the average density of matter in space, they can get a rough estimate of the distance traversed. I hope that kinda explains it :-)

Of course, they also acknowledge that it could be something oscillating in some weird way that generates one frequency tone and then after a delay generates another and so forth. Either way, it is fascinating in my honest opinion.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited to add link to Wiki page on dispersion.

Thanks badeskov, at least that is something I can try to wrap my head around. Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks for your informative response. It's good to see you still have time for us here. :tu:

• Like 1

Thanks badeskov, at least that is something I can try to wrap my head around. Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks for your informative response. It's good to see you still have time for us here. :tu:

You are most welcome S2F, I hope it was helpful. If not, I can try and elaborate further :tu: I still have some time to contribute...

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov
  • Like 1

You are most welcome S2F, I hope it was helpful. If not, I can try and elaborate further :tu: I still have some time to contribute...

Cheers,

Badeskov

To be honest you were the first person I thought of after reading the article. I knew you would know something about this and be able to spell it out for me, and I'm glad you did. I'll have a look at that wiki page first but I may have some more questions after. :D

• Like 1

To be honest you were the first person I thought of after reading the article. I knew you would know something about this and be able to spell it out for me, and I'm glad you did. I'll have a look at that wiki page first but I may have some more questions after. :D

I am very flattered, S2F :blush: But lets see if I was actually able to spell it out for you B)

Cheers,

Badeskov

I also read that the height of the man on the voyager 1 disk is 187.5 cm. The woman is 168 cm.

Go for better sources soon. The disks showing man+woman are with PIONEER 10+11 and not with VOYAGER 1 (or 2).

Edited by toast

you know its probably just a star fart, considering how awsome the chances are relative to how many stars there are and the massive energy of a star

its the most likely theory that doesnt have aliens in it

But it cannot be excluded that high advanced extraterrestrial civilization do use star farts for interstellar communication

purposes (long-long-short-long-short-short-long. Or so.)

Go for better sources soon. The disks showing man+woman are with PIONEER 10+11 and not with VOYAGER 1 (or 2).

Added to that, to the best of my knowledge they do not show any measures of height.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Added to that, to the best of my knowledge they do not show any measures of height.

Cheers,

Badeskov

The plaque shows the height in binary for the woman.

http://www.english.i...es/nasakey.html

Edited by Mind Explorer
  • Like 1

Cheers,

Badeskov

There is a mathematical key somewhere on the plates that provide informations about the height of humans and in addition

the humans are pictured in the proportion to the antenna dish thats shown on the plates as well.

Edited by toast

There is a mathematical key somewhere on the plates that provide informations about the height of humans and in addition

the humans are pictured in the proportion to the antenna dish thats shown on the plates as well.

The key is the 21 cm hydrogen line (or has someone already mentioned that?)

• Like 1