Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plant releases its pollen in the full moon

Still Waters

Full moons are often thought to be a catalyst for romance. Something about that dim white light in the dark sky has for centuries inspired humans to compose sonatas, paint pictures, and explore the cosmos. But it seems we're far from being the only organisms inspired by the moon's beauty. A new study, published online today in Biology Letters, suggests that a small scrubby shrub called Ephedra foeminea releases its pollen only when the moon is full.

http://news.sciencem...ollen-full-moon

• Like 3

Plants do react on different wavelengths of light and 'behave' according to what kind of light they get. Flowering, growth and reproduction - depending of what kind of plant is in question - every stage of plants life has particular color of light connected to it and it is light color which triggers those stages. Full moon does have something mystical about it, totally different light getting to the Earth when it is full.

At least that is how i see it, after having spent some years in my gardens eheh

• Like 3

Nature is a sexy beast!

Mabon.

• Like 1

Ephedra ! That has been target as the source of the drink Soma and a 'nektar of the Gods', people discovered that LOOOOONG before 'scientists' - what a load of self congratulatory bull shoot ! ..... unfortunately it would turn the 'Gods' into rampaging testosterone, violent speed freaks (epinephrine - speed )

It certainly effects transformations in people!

" "Men who ride swiftly, having good horses, call on me when surrounded in battle. I, the bountiful Indra, provoke strife. I whirl up the dust, my strength is overwhelming... . No godlike power can check me - I who am unassailable. When draughts of Soma, when songs have made me frenzied, then both the unbounded regions are filled with fear." Rig Veda 4.42, 1-6.

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2

Ephedra ! That has been targeted as the source of the drink Soma and a 'nektar of the Gods', people discovered that LOOOOONG before 'scientists' - w ankers ! ..... unfortunately it would turn the 'Gods' into rampaging testosterone, violent speed freaks (ephedrine - speed )

It certainly effects transformations in people!

" "Men who ride swiftly, having good horses, call on me when surrounded in battle. I, the bountiful Indra, provoke strife. I whirl up the dust, my strength is overwhelming... . No godlike power can check me - I who am unassailable. When draughts of Soma, when songs have made me frenzied, then both the unbounded regions are filled with fear." Rig Veda 4.42, 1-6.

Edited by back to earth

Hmm.. it's interesting. I wish they took a video of the plant in action. That would have been a sight to see.

• Like 1

Is there anything better than a frehly picked werewolf?