Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant mutant goldfish run amok in rivers

UM-Bot

Wildlife authorities in Australia have warned people not to release pet fish in to rivers and streams.

Goldfish might seem harmless swimming around inside their tank in your living room, but when released in to the wild these popular family pets can quickly multiply and grow to enormous sizes.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/280012/giant-mutant-goldfish-run-amok-in-rivers

• Like 1

Sounds just like what white Europeans did to the natives of Austrailia and NA.

I have had aquaria since I was three years old when my parents got me two 10 gallon tanks. A cardinal rule of fish keeping is NEVER release any fish from your aquariums in the wild, NOT EVEN NATIVE ONES. Exotic fish can and do sometimes survive outside their native habitats and can cause terrible damage like the Pacu introduced into New Guinea, or worse, the Lion Fish introduced into the Atlantic Ocean tropics.

As for why not to release native fishes you have kept in an aquarium, some may be from a different population introducing genes that would not normally be found in the local population, but primarily native fish may have been exposed to exotic fish diseases common to tropical fish wholesale suppliers and even local pet stores. I have seen bacterial disease wipe out entire aquariums of tropical fish across a broad range of species from all over the tropics, with no known remedy except breaking down the tank and sterilizing it with bleach and starting over. Imagine if a fish carrying such a disease got into a local stream or river.

Best to take unwanted fish back to pet stores of if you have to, euthanize them by putting them in the freezer and then dispose of them.

Oh, and this goes double for aquarium plants, which have a much more likely chance of surviving and causing huge problems, like Hydrilla sp. Dry them out completely and place them in the trash.

• Like 2

How do they grow so big?

They have a tendency to grow in relation to there available space, keep a gold fish in a small tank it will never out grow its surroundings, pur it in a river and it will grow like a mushroom, having limitless space

• Like 1

Meh! I seen goldfish bigger than that in ponds.

What the guy in the pic should be worried about is the size of that bug crawling down his arm.

• Like 1

They have a tendency to grow in relation to there available space, keep a gold fish in a small tank it will never out grow its surroundings, pur it in a river and it will grow like a mushroom, having limitless space

So if I buy a small goldfish and put it inside a massive tank, it will grow huge?

So if I buy a small goldfish and put it inside a massive tank, it will grow huge?

Eventually yes

Meh! I seen goldfish bigger than that in ponds.

What the guy in the pic should be worried about is the size of that bug crawling down his arm.

I think you're looking at the wrong photo.

http://www.dailyreco...5445837#rlabs=1

I used to keep goldfish once upon a time, nothing too grand, just a couple of medium size tanks. Then one day I discovered I had a breeding pair, there would be eggs all over the bottom of one of the tanks. Prior to that though I could see they were rather frisky but still wasn't expecting one of them to lay eggs.

Anyway this was all new to me so I asked for advice from a pet store in the town on how to take care of the young ones. I did my best but I think only about three of them hatched and the fry didn't survive long which was a shame. After a number of years and as the adult goldfish eventually died off, I didn't replace them and if I remember right, I gave their tanks away to a local charity for them to sell in their shop. It was nice while it lasted and I had them for years but I don't think I'm likely to keep any again.

I got a guy who told me about 1.3 decade ago that the best way to clean his outdoor pool in spring is to send goldfish in them.

Goldfish would then eat everything bad things in the pool, and then you just have to pull two very big goldfish than a swarm of bad things!

S

Mutant :lol:

Ship them over here and you'll get a couple of grand for one ... easy ... yeah ... USD ~

actually father merrin thats wrong. fish do not grow to thye size of their surroundings, if the tank is not big enough they become stressed and die prematurely giving the illusion that they grow to fit the tank.

actually father merrin thats wrong. fish do not grow to thye size of their surroundings, if the tank is not big enough they become stressed and die prematurely giving the illusion that they grow to fit the tank.

My friend......i did not say "fish" as i cannot speak on behalf of the entire chordata/Actinopterygii family, i mearly ment the carp genera gold fish koi etc, i have no facts to back up my statement, only 50 year + of combined experience that my family and i have accumulated with various carassius types.

we have had 10 yearold koi in a small pond at around 30cm in lenth and get no larger and we have put the same fish in our largest pond that have continued on to be 60cm+

I can only speak of my own personal experience of which i know the facts to be accurate and my previous statement to be correct

Edited by Father Merrin

• 2 months later...

So... if we release a goldfish into a massive whale tank, it will eventually be so big we could ride it?

Genius!