Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pointlessness of Religion

XenoFish

my apologies also i am so used to sarcasm and ridicule aimed AT belief, that i missed the opposite .

I dont think you take belief , well, your beliefs , as some other do , certainly not as I take mine.

For me, what I think may happen , what I believe, what I think and what I know are all different and separate things .

For many others, and especially you , it seems they are all the same thing; not only do you seem to think your beliefs are true and what is going to happen, you will devote a lot of your time affirming and trying to 'prove' it is so.

• Like 2

LOL I like the humour and interpretation but i am not ready to put such a huge cultural difference down to sexual repression Many cultural anthropologists and sociologists argue that the two areas are very different for a variety of different reasons

More suppression of the 'unconscious' , the drives and natural tendencies , sex just happens to 'slot into' that.

For example the west has always looked outwards, and based its energies around materialism and technological progress, hence the maritime expansion and exploration as early as viking times. (and ealrier in trade routes around the coast of europe. while the east has tended to look inwards and based itself on culture civilization etc.

Ummmm .... Zeng He ???? ( dont expect any 'sexiness' though )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He

The west long had a greater dynamism, perhaps fueled by divisions and conflicts, than the East

In china, particularly, there were long periods of peace and stability which never occurred in Europe, creating a calmer, more peaceful psyche and perception of the world. and also a less conflict based religious system in which ancestor worship and the importance of tradition played a major role (both reflecting the longer periods of peace and stability found in china.).

Like I said, a natural 'pagan' religious outlook that does not deny nature.

But your argument is sexier.

Everything about me is sexier *

The american Indians and the meso americans were not influenced by Europeans until contacted, yet they had a more European view of the world, perhaps because of similar conflict and turmoil.

I doubt pre-European contacted anyone had a European view of the world .

• Like 2

Ah my mistake. You are using the false doctrine of Catholicism to judge Christianity by,

I was ... where did I mention that ???? I was answering your question and you were the one that equated a death as a release of pain and suffering

" You, or is it BTE, keep telling people that every one dies eventually. How is telling them they will eventually die a permanent death any different to what you believe? The flip side is that Christian belief offers a hope that some might live forever in a place without death pain suffering etc."

My point is, an 'atheist's death' is also a release from pain and suffering.

What has either got to do with catholicism being mistaken as overall Christianity ??? :unsure2:

That, (hell /eternal torment) is a construction of catholic theologians and is not biblical. The bible simply says that the wages of sin is death and the saved have everasting life I agree with you.

The point is , you said either me of Davros are saying no one survives after death .... and we are both saying that is a projection of yours into our viewpoints .

You keep doing this , thats what was being pointed out . and you go on about it being somehow catholic ... as much as I can make out ???? .

The idea of some eternal torment is evil and a god who proposed it would also be evil But you will be glad to hear that there is no biblical justification for it, and it cant thus be biblical christian belief.

Why are you going on about eternal torment ? I was suggesting that death eases the pain and suffering and you seem to be trying to make out I am saying it continues into hell ... and then point out how I am wrong about that .

You are doing it again Walker . You cant seem to stop doing this thing you do ?

i dont understand your last question. Most Christians are NOT in pain and suffering or at least far less so than non believers. Faith protects from most if not all pain and suffering. But also i imagine that most people don't want to die, even if they might then be resurrected.

My wife believes absolutely that when she dies she will be unconscious/asleep until the resurrection day and then live eternally on the new earth. But as far as i know she has never had the slightest temptation to kill herslef to hurry up the procedure (in part because she sees her life as gods to work with as he wills.) ( Interestingly though she has asked me that if she gets old and is in pain and suffering, or has advanced dementia, that i do end her life, as she has no fear of death as such.

yea I now this sounds contradictory. Her reasons for this are complex. She trusts god but doesn't want to be a burden on others and doesn't want to develop alzheimers where she might lose her faith and belief before she dies as she loses all conscious reasoning and understanding. ( we watched her parents go through this process over the years they lived with us until they died . She saw her mother go from devout believer to a non sentient non self awre being before she died, and doesn't want that to happen to her.

Aha! There you have it ..... a better question than my simplistic " if heaven is so great why not go there now?"

If, one did become mentally disadvantaged in latter life, after a life of being a good Christian , and then got confused or 'lost their faith' through mental deterioration would they then lose their shot at eternal life ?

Careful how you answer ..... you might be headed towards 'assisted suicide here ' ... and that would be breaking the law ;)

• Like 1

Oh so you didn't actually read my question, AGAIN, Sherapy didnt read or understand it either, but i have explained what i was asking.

Knowing her mum was a devout catholic, wasn't her hope and faith that she would see her daughter again, the one shining light in the whole terrible experience, the one ray of comfort in a bleak and horrible life. . How would/could it have been better if her mum was an atheist and thus had NO such hope for reunion.? Didn't her mum's belief, and thus hope, give SOME light or comfort in the whole thing?

see answer above

Do you subscribe to "Girls and Corpses" Magazine?

The only way to respond to that question is, " no...but.."

I appreciate the historical antecedents of the genre, and while the humour is not to my taste, it can be clever.

Do you subscribe to VOLO magazine, or have you no interest in art?

• Like 1

Seriously you should come to few funerals for my family Of course no one would say my parents had gone to a better place, partly because dad was a total atheist and mum's religion was more social than anything,. and a very minor part of her life. Also they didn't need to go to a BETTER place, because they had a damned good life here on earth, despite hardships, poverty and tragedies over the years, BUT their funerals were a celebration of life and death, a lot of fun and food. i met everyone at the door, before doing the eulogies, and there wasn't a sign of fear in anyone's eyes, and not a white knuckle in sight. My mums funeral card reads "united with jack" but non of the family believes this literally as in gone to heaven. Their ashes WILL be placed together in the cemetery, so they will actually be together and side by side.

there were atheists (lots) agnostics and complete believers at both funerals. If someone wanted to comfort me by saying dad or mum had gone to a better place that would have been just as fine as those who told me how mum and dad had helped them over the years or abut the incredible amount of social and charitable work my mother did.

i respect OTHER people's rights to express their beliefs, what ever they are. The words were a token of THEIR respect for my parents and how they felt about them. It would have been wrong and dishonourable of me to disrespect their expressions at the time,.even if i have no belief in heaven .

I wasnt responding to you and the last thing I would want to do is go to one of your relatives funerals . I was talking about grief and belief in my family, not yours ... yes, I am sure your families funerals are better than mine Walker ... good on ya !

:blush:

(WTF is wrong with this guy ! )

• Like 2

The only way to respond to that question is, " no...but.."

I appreciate the historical antecedents of the genre, and while the humour is not to my taste, it can be clever.

Do you subscribe to VOLO magazine, or have you no interest in art?

yeah .... we all know what 'magazine' you subscribe to ( nudge nudge wink wink ) ... dont let your wife find them !

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0WGbbAaNY6w/TBnWP9d8i8I/AAAAAAAAFVM/tdLGMEiNdwU/s1600/Girl+Phantom+3.jpg

• Like 1

http://www.merriam-w...dictionary/hope

You don't need religion to have hope. We all have hopes and dreams. You seem to think that atheist are somehow either depressingly nihilistic or absolute hedonist. Some of us look at life and say "Well crap, how do if fix this." instead of passing it off to a 'higher power'.

You certainly don't need religion but you do need faith to have hope. Hope is an optimistic view of the future, no matter how likely or unlikely it is to come true

Unless a person has faith in something, they cant have hope Eg faith that they will live to see their kids grow up, or faith that their kids will tun out ok. or faith that they will survive a life threatening experience of any sort.

Religion is a formalised expression of individual spiritual faith You do not need such formalised faith, but you do need some faith to make life survivable.(because we are not unaware animals)

A person without any faith is a person without any hope and a person without faith and hope for the future "might as well" die in the present because they have nothing to look forward to. Such people are actually more likely to die due to the relationship of our mental state and our physical well being.

(suicide is the biggest killer of australian men under 40 and of all Australians under about 30)

Imagine the different internal mental experiences of two men trapped in an underground mine for 40 days .One has faith he will be rescued, the other has no faith. So one hopes and believes he will live while the other believes he will die. The one with faith is known to be more likely to survive because he simply wont give up living,

In the end both men are rescued. One had an absolutely terrible and traumatic experience which affects him for the rest of his life The other shrugs it off saying either to him self or to others " i knew i would survive "

OR, both die still trapped. Even then the one with hope spent his last days in a much better place than his companion.

Thee is absolutely nothing wrong with atheism per se I was one for 20 years BUT an atheist needs/ requires something to take the place of religion (or rather, spiritual based beliefs) . That might be a code like secular humanism and a strong inner sense of moralities ethics and values. It might be a discipline like Bushido or a martial arts, plus another deliberate mental construct to give hope, purpose, and meaning to life

Atheism is simply a rejection of gods and belief in gods. It is nothing/contains nothing, in itself, which can add to, or empower, a human being .

So atheists must find other inner/external sources for their ethics/moralities, but more importantly, for their source of hope and belief in themselves, in other humans, and in our future.

Plus it is very prejudicial;l and factually incorrect to believe that somehow, atheists have a greater need to "fix things" than theists. in Christian theology humanity's prime purpose is to care for the world, to care for each other, and to fix the natural and human problems of the world. It is certainly NOT god's job in Christianity The bible is pessimistic, maybe because its writers were. They see humans as unable to fix the world and thus that god will ultimately have to do so But in the 21st century we can recognise the real causes of human suffering and we can fix them ourselves. Belief and faith in the modern world go to MOTIVATION for doing so. OK so most theists fall short of this goal but no more so than most atheists.

Do you REALLY think the world would be in a better state if everyone was an atheist, but otherwise totally unchanged from the person they are right now?

A lazy Christian is the same as a lazy atheist. A moral Christian the same as a moral atheist. Except that one has faith hope and belief, while the other may not.

Edited by Mr Walker

yeah .... we all know what 'magazine' you subscribe to ( nudge nudge wink wink ) ... dont let your wife find them !

http://3.bp.blogspot...l Phantom 3.jpg

They are in the chronicles room but unfortunately i have to share the space with my wifes house and garden type magazines.

I wasnt responding to you and the last thing I would want to do is go to one of your relatives funerals . I was talking about grief and belief in my family, not yours ... yes, I am sure your families funerals are better than mine Walker ... good on ya !

:blush:

(WTF is wrong with this guy ! )

You described the atmosphere at your fathers funeral. I pointed out that i never saw any of those symptoms or hypocrisy/doubt, at my fathers (or mothers) funerals.

Now there is obviously a reason for the difference.

You read into your experience or implied something "off" about peoples responses and also implied your reasoning why this was so.

I found none of that .

Does that make my family's funerals better? A subjective answer is yes because they are certainly more comfortable than how you described your father's.

An objective answer is that it depends on what criteria you apply to a good/successful funeral and different people wil have different yardsticks and expectation . For example some people might find our funerals too subdued/unemotional with not enough weeping and howling and rending of clothes. Others might think a good funeral requires everyone to get drunk afterwards. I just know that my parents' funerals were; open, happy, stress free, honest, and loving.

The point i actually made was that we should not judge other peoples responses, such as when they try and say something comforting like " He is in a better place now" That is judging another's kindness and thoughtfulness against your own belief . If, even as an atheist, you cant take comfort from the kind thoughts of others expressed in terms of their belief there is something wrong. Neither should a believer take offence at genuine kind words expressed from an atheist in atheistic terms.

I ended one eulogy with the words " The world will never see her like again. " Now some believers might have taken offence at the implication there, that death is final, and there is no return, but it was a compliment and actually quite true.

Edited by Mr Walker

see answer above

We don't know how it would have been for my mom had she have been an atheist as she wasn't one. Don't tell me MW is trying to claim he knows how my mom would have expressed Athiesm? Oy vey!

• Like 2

I talked to Shadowhive. He remembers the Worm food part, but not burned up.

My apologies.

Do you believe people that reject Jesus "burn up"?

John 15:6

"If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."

The answer to this is "I don't know". While I do believe the ultimate fate of those who reject Jesus is eternal death, I don't know what process God will use to bring about that outcome. For all I know those who are dead without Christ will simply remain dead, their judgement brought upon them already. Though the Bible itself does tend to use the imagery of burning up (the lake of fire being the "second death", for example). But it's entirely possible that this is imagery, and the passage you've quoted here (John 15:6) can very easily be considered imagery, particularly because it's already contextually placed as imagery ("I am the vine, you are the branch").
  • Like 1

More suppression of the 'unconscious' , the drives and natural tendencies , sex just happens to 'slot into' that.

Ummmm .... Zeng He ???? ( dont expect any 'sexiness' though )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He

Like I said, a natural 'pagan' religious outlook that does not deny nature.

Everything about me is sexier *

I doubt pre-European contacted anyone had a European view of the world .

Ah the admiral. Yes, but two points. First he was Muslim and second he is so famous because he was almost unique NAme me another half dozen famous Chinese explorers.

Human sexuality is always repressed and redirected as we become civilized, and as nuclear families and property rights complicate sexual relationships. but certainly euopean sexuality under Christianity was more suppressed than most and certainly this did find psychological expression in many other aspects of European life. ( I think your point about the romantic movement and chivalry is quite true)On the other hand this elevated the position of women to a higher level than was found either in china or in muslim countries where they were much more freely available and less "worthy" . . .

Study american indian and meso american, pre European histories. Their religions and world views were more aligned with European than most of the asian beliefs. There was little fatalism, life was to be fought and survived, not surrendered to fate etc

We don't know how it would have been for my mom had she have been an atheist as she wasn't one. Don't tell me MW is trying to claim he knows how my mom would have expressed Athiesm? Oy vey!

Why not ? He seems to think he knows everything else about everybody :-*

You certainly don't need religion but you do need faith to have hope. Hope is an optimistic view of the future, no matter how likely or unlikely it is to come true

Unless a person has faith in something, they cant have hope Eg faith that they will live to see their kids grow up, or faith that their kids will tun out ok. or faith that they will survive a life threatening experience of any sort.

Religion is a formalised exp<b></b>ression of individual spiritual faith You do not need such formalised faith, but you do need some faith to make life survivable.(because we are not unaware animals)

A person without any faith is a person without any hope and a person without faith and hope for the future "might as well" die in the present because they have nothing to look forward to. Such people are actually more likely to die due to the relationship of our mental state and our physical well being.

(suicide is the biggest killer of australian men under 40 and of all Australians under about 30)

Imagine the different internal mental experiences of two men trapped in an underground mine for 40 days .One has faith he will be rescued, the other has no faith. So one hopes and believes he will live while the other believes he will die. The one with faith is known to be more likely to survive because he simply wont give up living,

In the end both men are rescued. One had an absolutely terrible and traumatic experience which affects him for the rest of his life The other shrugs it off saying either to him self or to others " i knew i would survive "

OR, both die still trapped. Even then the one with hope spent his last days in a much better place than his companion.

Thee is absolutely nothing wrong with atheism per se I was one for 20 years BUT an atheist needs/ requires something to take the place of religion (or rather, spiritual based beliefs) . That might be a code like secular humanism and a strong inner sense of moralities ethics and values. It might be a discipline like Bushido or a martial arts, plus another deliberate mental construct to give hope, purpose, and meaning to life

Atheism is simply a rejection of gods and belief in gods. It is nothing/contains nothing, in itself, which can add to, or empower, a human being .

So atheists must find other inner/external sources for their ethics/moralities, but more importantly, for their source of hope and belief in themselves, in other humans, and in our future.

Plus it is very prejudicial;l and factually incorrect to believe that somehow, atheists have a greater need to "fix things" than theists. in Christian theology humanity's prime purpose is to care for the world, to care for each other, and to fix the natural and human problems of the world. It is certainly NOT god's job in Christianity The bible is pessimistic, maybe because its writers were. They see humans as unable to fix the world and thus that god will ultimately have to do so But in the 21st century we can recognise the real causes of human suffering and we can fix them ourselves. Belief and faith in the modern world go to MOTIVATION for doing so. OK so most theists fall short of this goal but no more so than most atheists.

Do you REALLY think the world would be in a better state if everyone was an atheist, but otherwise totally unchanged from the person they are right now?

A lazy Christian is the same as a lazy atheist. A moral Christian the same as a moral atheist. Except that one has faith hope and belief, while the other may not.

You don't need religion to have faith or hope it's free to all, you don't need spiritual faith to survive, you can prefer it, or choose it but you don't need it.

You don't need religion to have morals, although you could choose to be Relgious for reasons of morality if you want.

I don't need God to fix things, I do more than fine on my own. How do I know, it's simple, my life works for me, there isn't anything I can't figure out and with this for me comes an incredible sense of empowerment and maturity. Once I had confidence in my own competence I then outgrew/set aside the need for god, one can prefer not too ever go through life without a god and their are those that do not, it's there choice not mine. That is all Xeno is saying he is not saying one way is better then the other he is saying there are other ways and he is sharing his, he has no preference in your take away. I don't think it would work for you it requires a tough hide, which he has, you do not.

He is not pimping his path he is sharing it, that is the difference.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5

I was ... where did I mention that ???? I was answering your question and you were the one that equated a death as a release of pain and suffering

" You, or is it BTE, keep telling people that every one dies eventually. How is telling them they will eventually die a permanent death any different to what you believe? The flip side is that Christian belief offers a hope that some might live forever in a place without death pain suffering etc."

My point is, an 'atheist's death' is also a release from pain and suffering.

What has either got to do with catholicism being mistaken as overall Christianity ??? :unsure2:

The point is , you said either me of Davros are saying no one survives after death .... and we are both saying that is a projection of yours into our viewpoints .

You keep doing this , thats what was being pointed out . and you go on about it being somehow catholic ... as much as I can make out ???? .

Why are you going on about eternal torment ? I was suggesting that death eases the pain and suffering and you seem to be trying to make out I am saying it continues into hell ... and then point out how I am wrong about that .

You are doing it again Walker . You cant seem to stop doing this thing you do ?

Aha! There you have it ..... a better question than my simplistic " if heaven is so great why not go there now?"

If, one did become mentally disadvantaged in latter life, after a life of being a good Christian , and then got confused or 'lost their faith' through mental deterioration would they then lose their shot at eternal life ?

Careful how you answer ..... you might be headed towards 'assisted suicide here ' ... and that would be breaking the law ;)

No wonder you have trouble with religious belief if you cant see the difference between the lack of pain and suffering due to death, and living forever without any pain or suffering. That is the difference between christian theology and athiesm You get to LIVE forever with no unhappiness no pain no suffering no fear or loneliness. You do have joy wonder happiness friendship love and a chance to continue learning, growing and improving. etc

Sure the same lack of pain and suffering is true when you are dead but its no where near as much fun.

The bible does NOT say god condemns humans to eternal torment nor does it say that when you die you go either to hell or heaven .That is catholic theology and interpretation of the bible To an atheist its all belief anyway but it totally changes ones understanding of the nature of the biblical god..

I haven't made my mind up about wha tot do with my wife yet. It may never happen as i might die first or she could die in good mental health

I support euthanasia and the right to die As stated i am prepared to break a law i see as morally wrong or harmful, and accept the consequences.

Because i love my wife totally I am probably leaning to being prepared to assist her to die if that is what she wants, although I would personally prefer to care for her for as long as needed (and i know that is being a bit selfish)

But it would be a hard and terrible choice.

There are lots of ways around this legally. I have been personally told on two separate occasions with elderly people that a doctor is quite prepared to just up the dose of morphine as a pain killer, to the point where it will become fatal. They even suggested this might be the kindest option. As it happened, both loved ones died naturally without intervention

An adult with altzheimers would be saved in christian belief, by the same grace as a child too young to comprehend and choose is saved. My wife worries about her loss of connection to god just as she would lose connection to all things As she saw happen over time to her parents while we cared for them. She has lived with god for over 60 years. I t is hard to accept a disconnection after such a time. just as it is hard to accept losing connection to your husband/wife or parent with altzheimers.

You described the atmosphere at your fathers funeral. I pointed out that i never saw any of those symptoms or hypocrisy/doubt, at my fathers (or mothers) funerals.

Thats right , thats what I said , why are you repeating it ... why did you feel a compelling need to compare your families funerals to mine, why do that ?

Now there is obviously a reason for the difference.

You read into your experience or implied something "off" about peoples responses and also implied your reasoning why this was so.

I found none of that .

Well, of course you didnt ! It was different family ! Jeeeeeeee suz!

Does that make my family's funerals better? A subjective answer is yes because they are certainly more comfortable than how you described your father's.

Okay then , your family is better at dealing with funerals and grief than mine is !

Any other judgemental comments to make on my fathers death and funeral .... Walker ?

An objective answer is that it depends on what criteria you apply to a good/successful funeral and different people wil have different yardsticks and expectation . For example some people might find our funerals too subdued/unemotional with not enough weeping and howling and rending of clothes. Others might think a good funeral requires everyone to get drunk afterwards. I just know that my parents' funerals were; open, happy, stress free, honest, and loving.

Great ... have a sip of Xeno's drink and continue to explain how , now in even more detail, how better your family is .

The point i actually made was that we should not judge other peoples responses,

Errrrmmmm .... dude that is what you are doing right now !

" Does that make my family's funerals better? A subjective answer is yes "

such as when they try and say something comforting like " He is in a better place now" That is judging another's kindness and thoughtfulness against your own belief . If, even as an atheist, you cant take comfort from the kind thoughts of others expressed in terms of their belief there is something wrong.

again, I was responding to what hammerclaw said , take it up with him,

I ended one eulogy with the words " The world will never see her like again. " Now some believers might have taken offence at the implication there, that death is final, and there is no return, but it was a compliment and actually quite true.

yes, everything you say, regardless of even you admitting it might be wrong ... is actually quiet true.

I see why your wife tells you (as you said ) 'You think different to other people" ... that's one way of putting it ... a very 'charitable ' way .

• Like 2

No wonder you have trouble with religious belief if you cant see the difference between the lack of pain and suffering due to death, and living forever without any pain or suffering.

But I didnt say that either , you are projecting your misunderstandings yet again into what you think I said

That is the difference between christian theology and athiesm You get to LIVE forever with no unhappiness no pain no suffering no fear or loneliness. You do have joy wonder happiness friendship love and a chance to continue learning, growing and improving. etc

Sure the same lack of pain and suffering is true when you are dead but its no where near as much fun.

The bible does NOT say god condemns humans to eternal torment nor does it say that when you die you go either to hell or heaven .That is catholic theology and interpretation of the bible To an atheist its all belief anyway but it totally changes ones understanding of the nature of the biblical god..

I am not saying the bible says that (although one can prove it says anything one wants apparently ) , but you go ahead and continue your argument against me saying Catholicism is representative of all Christianity .

I haven't made my mind up about wha tot do with my wife yet. It may never happen as i might die first or she could die in good mental health

I support euthanasia and the right to die As stated i am prepared to break a law i see as morally wrong or harmful, and accept the consequences.

I see, yet when I state the same, I get a response of a long post admonishing me that it is wrong, against society and blah blah blah

but if you think it is justified ... well then , it is

5469452+_692665754a25d6ea1becf4f8e45077ff.gif

]

• Like 2

Even if tha t was ALL that it was, that would be a wonderful thing. Imagine being a cripple without access to crutches, and how much a crutch or two could improve the quality of your life.

But faith /is not just a crutch, it is a bionic enhancement which enables a human being to reach their full potential, and to become, by comparison with a non believer, a sort of superman.

i think that is what truly scares atheists who are potentially like mere mortals in a world of super humans. They cant even comprehend the reality experienced by a true believer. No fear,no pain, no grief, no depression, no worries, no hate, no anger, no lust, or envy etc just peace of mind, love and joy. Those are the promises of life with god.

Compare that to a life without god. How does one gain that state as an atheist ? Some form of drug? More likely one simply denies that a human life in this world can be like that or should be like that; and yet, yes it can and it is how we are all meant to live.

And if a theist isn't living like I described then they are not yet totally connected to god or have not given their mind and heart to god completely

Of the thousands of people I know, i only know a half a dozen couples who live as a i describe because they are totally one with god, either physically or through faith.

However, there are dozens if not hundreds whose lives are more empowered, happier, and more successful, because they are at least partway to full bionic enhancement, and already gaining the benefits of some connection to god. They are learning how to use their crutches to walk again, when, before, they could only crawl

ps modern humans especially those in developed countries,, don't need so much inner strength and resilience. They are protected, fed, sheltered, and made comfortable, by civilization, modern science and medicine; yet still we all face some hard realities in life including the death of loved ones, loneliness fear etc .All of us will do better under the protection of god than outside of it.

Amen, Brother Walker, as church folks say. :D Well said.

I am not sure what it is that you see in this post that is worthy of being applauded.

"Faith enables a human being to reach their full potential, and to become, by comparison with a non believer, a sort of superman"(MW)

I do not see evidence in this line that he reflects any of the qualities he claims to be due to his faith, he is holier than thou, that is what I see.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

I am not sure what it is that you see in this post that is worthy of being applauded.

"Faith enables a human being to reach their full potential, and to become, by comparison with a non believer, a sort of superman"(MW)

I do not see evidence in this line that he reflects any of the qualities he claims to be due to his faith, he is holier than thou, that is what I see.

I think Mr. Walker is being "tongue in cheek," but I could be mistaken. His post smacks of many a sermon that I sat through with wide-eyed wonder.... In my mind, I could hear the Amen choir. :yes: When I was a youth in church, this kind of sermon was all about putting on the "armor of God."

Ya'll Atheists, don't take this stuff personally. It's a worthy heritage for a southern belle. It helped mold me into who I am.

And then I went off to university.... :rolleyes: ... which continued to "mold" me.

And life is still a magnificent adventure!

I

• Like 2

I think Mr. Walker is being "tongue in cheek," but I could be mistaken. His post smacks of many a sermon that I sat through with wide-eyed wonder.... In my mind, I could hear the Amen choir. :yes: When I was a youth in church, this kind of sermon was all about putting on the "armor of God."

Ya'll Atheists, don't take this stuff personally. It's a worthy heritage for a southern belle. It helped mold me into who I am.

And then I went off to university.... :rolleyes: ... which continued to "mold" me.

And life is still a magnificent adventure!

I

I honestly did consider you maybe paying homage to your fire and brimstone days, fair enough, I just had to ask.

No, he really believes his spiel.

Thanks for responding. :)

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

I'm not taking anything personally. Honestly I could care less about what path someone walks so long as they do no harm. My issue is with those who present a self righteous attitude. Follow my path are you will forever be condemned. There are those who find the support structure of religion to be something they see as desirable. It give them something in common with other people who walk the same path. Us lone wolf types see no point in such a thing. In my case I could create a god to pow wow with if I so desired. It's not that difficult to do. Chaos Magick 101.

There have been gods before Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. There will be gods after them as well. People will always find something to believe in. Either themselves or something "external".

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3

l_926cb7a0-bf08-11e2-8e48-29e93b400015.jpg

Here you go Walker, have one on me. It'll give you more than enough energy to 1UP everyone here.

Thanks, but coke zero and red bull (blueberry flavour) is my poison. ( Apart from milk of course :) )

Edited by Mr Walker