Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pointlessness of Religion

XenoFish

I have no explanation for sherapy's thought processes, given that i cant get inside her mind.

But the way she jumps to false conclusions and assumption about the meaning and intent of my posts, is beyond my abilty to understand More importantly, the reason WHY this particular thought process operates in her mind is incomprehensible to me I am absolutely sure from her writings that she is not an idiot and rather a quite clever person, but as i have already explained, i can find no way to explain how and why she interprets my words or my mind as she does.... ( i suspect that like all of us, her particular thought processes are driven by her past experiences and established conclusions based upon those experiences

She is totally wrong in the way she perceives my intent, and in her assessment of my own nature and character (for example she constantly assumes i have created some false imaginary connection to god because of some need of mine, because she wont accept he possibility that god is a real living entity) She assumes that loving discipline traumatises or harms a child, and thus cant accept the way my parents loving discipline created a respectful ,positive loving kind and compassionate person in me who has always loved his parents and respected them and their wisdom, ( i dont think she had a similar experience with her own parents and thus perhaps cant comprehend the nature or depth of my own relationship with mine) To her, corporal punishment MUST create a person with a warped sense of the world. Ie one at odds with her own understanding of it. She might even conclude it made me open to delusion, or created some need to be loved by an imaginary friend, for example.

Yet she can't see this, and despite my correction, keeps making public, as definite conclusion, totally false accusations about me An idiot? Certainly not, but totally wrong about every thing she concludes about me?. Yes Stubborn in her conclusions and unwilling to listen?

Now, why does this sound familiar ??? Oh, I know !

I have no explanation for back to earth's thought processes, given that i cant get inside his mind.

But the way he jumps to false conclusions and assumption about the meaning and intent of my posts, is beyond my abilty to understand More importantly, the reason WHY this particular thought process operates in his mind is incomprehensible to me I am absolutely sure from his writings that he is not an idiot and rather a quite clever person, but as i have already explained, i can find no way to explain how and why he interprets my words or my mind as he does.... ( i suspect that like all of us, his particular thought processes are driven by his past experiences and established conclusions based upon those experiences

he is totally wrong in the way he perceives my intent, and in hisassessment of my own nature and character (for example he constantly assumes i have created some false imaginary connection to god because of some need of mine, because wont accept he possibility that god is a real living entity) he assumes that loving discipline traumatises or harms a child, and thus cant accept the way my parents loving discipline created a respectful ,positive loving kind and compassionate person in me who has always loved his parents and respected them and their wisdom, ( i dont think he had a similar experience with his own parents and thus perhaps cant comprehend the nature or depth of my own relationship with mine) To him, corporal punishment MUST create a person with a warped sense of the world. Ie one at odds with his own understanding of it. he might even conclude it made me open to delusion, or created some need to be loved by an imaginary friend, for example.

Yet he can't see this, and despite my correction, keeps making public, as definite conclusion, totally false accusations about me An idiot? Certainly not, but totally wrong about every thing he concludes about me?. Yes Stubborn in his conclusions and unwilling to listen? Yes ( but then i know someone else like that)

Yes ( but then i know someone else like that)

I would not be surprised if you knew a whole lot of other people like that

:whistle:

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

Even with my existential mindset I've realized that because there is no meaning to life and ultimately nothing after it. I am driven to make every moment count. Because if I do I can die knowing that I've lived. All the pain, heartache, and sorrow show me the peace, love, and joy that comes after these moments. I realize that one day I will be a memory and I better make it a good one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_nihilism

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

No that is changing the goal post.

and that is fine if she did .... its just a demonstration of Gods gifts to you as his agent . Sherepy has great trouble moving those goalposts, so it is harder for God to help her do it. But since you live in a world of goalpost changing richness, you can now help God by passing some of your own overflowing goalpost moving activities on to her . How charitable .

Everyone has expectations of others, and everyone has a right to those expectations. it isn't self interest, need or greed to want everyone to be more loving caring and giving (i admit to that desire) i get nothing from that desire or expectation, nor would i gain anything if it was met,and poverty and suffering was ended, given that i already have personally everything i require in life. i just want everyone else to be safe happy and cared for , That i call altruism and it would save lives, end suffering, and make the world a better place.

Now i don.t want to leave myself open to a charge of calling you non compassionate,

... so I will make underhanded comments in a round about way that suggests it without actually writing it down :whistle:

but don't YOU want to create a better ,more just and equal world, and wouldn't YOU want to do something to help make it better? Arent you prepared to give a little to achieve this? Isn't tha t a good/positive/constructive desire for ALL humans to have?

Can't you see that It has nothing to do with god or Christianity

Then why did you bring them into, you specifically explained how you help God with his 'difficulties' and mentioned the Christian aspect, but you are not a Christian, remember ... or you might be today .

Except that this is one way humans can be motivated to give a little to create a better world. i am also a Buddhist gaean and humanist etc in the way i see the world., There are many beliefs which drive humans to be less greedy, less materialistic and hence less destructive of the world etc Even as an atheist i would be a humanist and work towards a better world, but the knowledge tha t god wants this of me is a compelling intellectual and emotional driver .

I see, so your past comments about spiritual motivations are now defunct ? Or does this only apply to you because you are so great fantastic and "near super human " ?

It almost sounds as if you are agreeing with all those people who argue that ONLY believers can be compassionate caring people who want to change the world ie that my beliefs are the only thing making me so. It is rather the opposite. My connection to god gives greeter compulsion to an intellectual and emotional awareness for the need for humanity to radically change if it is to survive. it is an environmental, social and humanist concern pushed along by my connection to god .

Ps i dont care WHAT motivates people to change but too many people have NO reason to change and are creating a future of danger and hardship for humanity because of their greed and materialism They are raised and educated in a society which teaches them to be like this with very few dissenting sources of philosophical perspective. Christianty is oNe such voice of dissent but there are others such as humanism

There is a separate issue, that EVERY human being would be happier healthier and benefit greatly if they could come to connect to god(the cosmic consciousness) and thus to know and understand their true place in the universe and amongst our species. It would eliminate fear, grief, loneliness anger lust hate etc as well as poverty and inequality if that should happen, and people realised they were not needy separate individuals who had to conform to their evolved biological drivers but part of a symbiotic whole with a self awareness great enough to reshape and reform itself and to improve on our evolved needs and desires. But that is a separate topic.

Christianity isnt the tool to get people to behave that way ... as for many, it just gives them a type of superior outlook, as if they were 'near superhuman'

• Like 1

Maybe you just lack proper communication skills Walker. I understand her and everyone else fine except you. Most of your post come off as condescending. I'm right, your wrong type. I don't think I'm the first to notice this as all your reply seem to have a touch of strife to them, as well as showing off what you know or gleaned off the internet.

Thats our Uncle Walker !

(everyone has some sort of weird relative that pops out the cupboard now and then ;) )

• Like 1

mental retardation and brain damage ...... I see ....

:whistle:

Yea i know. It's terrible. My IQ used to test out as high as 180, now it s only about 140

Maybe you just lack proper communication skills Walker. I understand her and everyone else fine except you. Most of your post come off as condescending. I'm right, your wrong type. I don't think I'm the first to notice this as all your reply seem to have a touch of strife to them, as well as showing off what you know or gleaned off the internet.

No, the objective evidences show my communication skills are fine If you and sherapy share a similar world view than of course you might not feel she is misinterpreting YOU but i know she is doing this constantly with me.

Er Why is me being right condescending to anyone? It never worries me for someone to teach me something new Condescension is a perception of another not an intent of mine. The alternative is simply accepting that all other peoples' views, ethics, moralities or beliefs are correct. That is simply often not the case.

What does 'touch of strife" mean in how you are using it?

Demonstrating knowledge or learning is not something to be ashamed of or keep hidden. Quite the opposite. We should all take pride in what we know and have learned. It isn't showing off to demonstrate knowledge or ability.

In a sense it is the responsibility of every human being to share everything they know, and have learned, with every other human being but in practice the opportunities to do this are limited (often to parents and teachers) .

Its hard for God is it ? Hard for him to give to Somalians but easy for God to give to us.

Sounds a bit like Sai baba, who 'manifests' and gives jewels to the rich and 'sacred ash' to the poor ... or Santa, who gives rich kids expensive presents and poor ones cheap presents .

I would have thought God would be able to give to whoever he wants ? Unless he is somehow punishing or ignoring the Somalians and favouring the rich Westerners . Also, the assumption that God needs to 'take the easy path' ? ? ?

nah, the whole thing reads like some BS human justification to me that makes no sense or logic .

So you would have thought would you ?

Turn it around. How much can a starving Ethiopian contribute to his fellow man and thus how much responsibility does he have, to do so In contrast how much might i or you be able to contribute and thus how much duty /responsibility do we have.

It is just as much human justification as your excuse for not understanding god is a human justification.

GoD is self evidently NOT omnipotent or omniscient. other wise we would not be in the state we are in. This means, like all self aware beings, relying on technology and ability. He has to work with what he has got, and use available resources and logic to achieve his desires.

Oh no ... apparently that was all wrong, our ABC and an expert economist, who reports on the nightly news ( not ABC) got it all wrong , Walker will explain all the 'facts' to you.

he might even deliver it as a sermon ;)

Come on! No one accepts the ABC as an impartial commentator any longer. It is very left wing, socially radical, and economically far to the left of the labour party. I Once relied on its news and current affairs for fair impartial analysis, but while i still watch them, i no longer believe the attached commentary.

I dont think I am right about everything , but you have no hope of introducing your own ideas, opinions or values, and seeing them taken up by me. So maybe there is another dynamic at play here hmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

No. Rather you have just confirmed what i said You are open to ideas beliefs and concepts as long as they are not too different from your pre-existing ones and don't come from anyone you have closed your mind to. .

MW, giving to a few Somalia kids, and give vegetables to the neighbors, or throw a great funeral is not anything one would need a god to figure out. I have managed to find ways to give back.

I am not lonely, I have kids, an amazing hubby and many friends and family, but if I was lonely I'd actually love it, it would be a nice break. I am not grieving at present, but if I was I would honor the process as it is natural and I have the skills to get through it. I am not poor at all, we have plenty of money. I need my anger it reminds me to keep things fair, nudges me to resolve things etc. etc. I am not looking to avoid being afraid, I can handle and cope very well, emotions are a natural part of my life, they are welcomed and embraced. I am in no way shape or form opposed to lusting after my husband every chance I get, We enjoy our sex life. :).

I am not looking to escape my life, but live it even fuller than I already do, this year our New Years resolution is to travel more. We have a few trips planned. :)

It sounds like your God is not a good fit for me.

Not if you really belief that anger, grief, and loneliness/isolation from others (what about hate bigotry envy?) are natural and thus good for you.

i would argue that this says more about your choices and inner landscape than about gods.

I just cant comprehend a person who sees pain and suffering as natural, unavoidable, or good for anyone.

You do NOT need anger to have a sense of justice or fairness. I would argue it reduces ones ability to be just or fair if you are angry.

Still i can appreciate your points. I have never had much trouble seeing how and why you hold to certain beliefs even though i cant comprehend anyone choosing them. (for example personally it is incomprehensible that a parent would chose home schooling and think it was better for their child than having them attend a regular school, but i know enough who do, to know the reasons they give.)

You have detailed enough of your life for me to form a sense of why you are as you are. Now i might be just as wrong, as you as you are about me, but i don't publish my opinions abut how your childhood, relationship with your mother, early adulthood, and life experiences have shaped you and fixed your beliefs and values.

Let's just say that you have a plank in your eye.

Na just went to the optometrist. 20/20 vision, excellent responses to the field tes,t and the photo scans showed nothing in my eye at all. :) (apparently i have naturally large nerve endings in my retina which help a lot. so i can spot a mote in someone's eye real easy.

and that is fine if she did .... its just a demonstration of Gods gifts to you as his agent . Sherepy has great trouble moving those goalposts, so it is harder for God to help her do it. But since you live in a world of goalpost changing richness, you can now help God by passing some of your own overflowing goalpost moving activities on to her . How charitable .

... so I will make underhanded comments in a round about way that suggests it without actually writing it down :whistle:

Then why did you bring them into, you specifically explained how you help God with his 'difficulties' and mentioned the Christian aspect, but you are not a Christian, remember ... or you might be today .

I see, so your past comments about spiritual motivations are now defunct ? Or does this only apply to you because you are so great fantastic and "near super human " ?

Christianity isnt the tool to get people to behave that way ... as for many, it just gives them a type of superior outlook, as if they were 'near superhuman'

Dont judge me by other Christians and i wont judge you by other atheists.

Philosophy, sociology, anthropology etc demonstrate the effectiveness of belief as a human driver for action

I live by a lot of christian beliefs especially those from the social doctrine but also by jainist buddhist gaean and pagan ones

I have never said Christianity is the best or only path it is the one i chose for cultural reasons.

charity is from the word caritas and basically means love for all. When you love people you act in a certain way, which is different from how you act if you do not give a damn. If i didn't give a damn i d be happy for anyone to live however they liked but because i love everyone i want everyone to live the best life possible for them.

Everyone has the freedom to chose (as long as their choices do no harm) but the more a person knows, the greater duty they have to impart knowledge and to help people . Not only is how this how i was raised but it is the reason for me becoming a teacher and basically one of the most important reasons for my being What is the point of living if you dont use your skills and abilities to leave the world a better place than it was when you entered it?

LOL its no weight. "He aint heavy. He's my brother"

The "rewards or consequences of such a life are so positive that there really is no cost, or down side, to such a life.

i tend to disagree that i should let people live a life which is less than it could be just to give them freedom. if i know how to improve it then i should at least show them how to improve it. That t might include imparting first aid knowledge, or teaching a child, who is afraid to try how to dance, or showing how some choices bring better outcomes than other choices

i know this is a consequence of my upbringing. My parents would never have allowed me the freedom to be lazy, or evil or impolite/disrespectful, or refuse learning opportunities, or be destructive, for example

Freedom is a much less important thing than many other aspects of life, like; honor, duty, love, commitment etc.;. and freedom is not a right, but a privilege earned by the demonstration of discipline, and the abilty to behave safely, ethically, and without causing harm.

You have found an excellent outlet for your drive to help others. As a teacher and adoptive father, your fledglings are fortunate.

My question is: what do you do if you meet someone who (you believe) needs your assistance? If they ask for help, that's great, but what if they don't want your help?

Edited by robinrenee
  • Like 2

MW, giving to a few Somalia kids, and give vegetables to the neighbors, or throw a great funeral is not anything one would need a god to figure out. I have managed to find ways to give back.

I am not lonely, I have kids, an amazing hubby and many friends and family, but if I was lonely I'd actually love it, it would be a nice break. I am not grieving at present, but if I was I would honor the process as it is natural and I have the skills to get through it. I am not poor at all, we have plenty of money. I need my anger it reminds me to keep things fair, nudges me to resolve things etc. etc. I am not looking to avoid being afraid, I can handle and cope very well, emotions are a natural part of my life, they are welcomed and embraced. I am in no way shape or form opposed to lusting after my husband every chance I get, We enjoy our sex life. :).

I am not looking to escape my life, but live it even fuller than I already do, this year our New Years resolution is to travel more. We have a few trips planned. :)

Well hey, it sounds like to me, you have it good. I mean that, I have thought how you are very confident and very considerate to others. I do not know how anyone can misunderstand that.

If my post here about you means anything, it's to show, you have it all, and ........... and.................................. :tu::yes:

Yup!

Though, I'm still going :w00t: over the 'others have a right to those expectations' bit. It's like, everyone has a right to creep up and peer through your window and allowed to drool. *shrugs*

snapback.pngSherapy, on 29 December 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

Not if you really belief that anger, grief, and loneliness/isolation from others (what about hate bigotry envy?) are natural and thus good for you.

i would argue that this says more about your choices and inner landscape than about gods.

I just cant comprehend a person who sees pain and suffering as natural, unavoidable, or good for anyone.

You do NOT need anger to have a sense of justice or fairness. I would argue it reduces ones ability to be just or fair if you are angry.

Still i can appreciate your points. I have never had much trouble seeing how and why you hold to certain beliefs even though i cant comprehend anyone choosing them. (for example personally it is incomprehensible that a parent would chose home schooling and think it was better for their child than having them attend a regular school, but i know enough who do, to know the reasons they give.)

You have detailed enough of your life for me to form a sense of why you are as you are. Now i might be just as wrong, as you as you are about me, but i don't publish my opinions abut how your childhood, relationship with your mother, early adulthood, and life experiences have shaped you and fixed your beliefs and values.

Ok, Ok, Ok, ( puts on Joe Pesci persona from the 'Lethal Weapon' movies ) Ok OK OK , They **** you in the drive thru!! They ..............

Ok, I digress.

Hey Sheri! When he says he can't comprehend, he really means it. He couldn't comprehend what your post really was, and answered it in a way that has no connection to what you really did say in your post he's replying to.

Because, I'm pretty sure his reply was in any way not what you meant. Or did I get that wrong?

No, no , no, Mr. Walker, don't you answer............... I know what your answer is going to be. I was saying that part to Sheri.

Or Back to earth

Or Davros

Or Xeno

PA, ................................ Robin is allowed to. *shrugs*

;)

You have found an excellent outlet for your drive to help others. As a teacher and adoptive father, your fledglings are fortunate.

My question is: what do you do if you meet someone who (you believe) needs your assistance? If they ask for help, that's great, but what if they don't want your help?

Good question. :tu: Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 1

I was thinking about this this morning Here is the classic example. I Encounter a person who has drunk too much and wants to drive home either at a private function or at the pub.Do i let him, and also then allow any consequence from that, or do i prevent him. I choose to prevent him and restrict his liberty in order to protect him and others from his choice.

In real life i once had to wade into the sea to stop a young mother from committing suicide . i dragged her out screaming and yelling and protesting but i did it anyway.

She was suffering post natal depression 20 years later she is alive and well and happy I did what i did. In less life threatening situations i might let people do as they wish although always if they are going to endanger themselves or others i will point this out to them but stop short of physically preventing them

As a teacher i was involved n lots of instances where I had to physically prevent young people from harming others Sometimes I just stood between them and let them hit me rather than each other.This usually stopped them very quickly. SOmetimes i had to physically restrain or overpower them (not easy with young men a foot taller than you and in my later years fitter One broke a rib in my chest while i was stopping him from endangering others. Another did some quite long term damage to my neck.

Strangely perhaps, i will not pray fr a person unless they ask me to because the power of prayer is so great and changing that you have to get a persons consent to use it.

• Like 1

Well hey, it sounds like to me, you have it good. I mean that, I have thought how you are very confident and very considerate to others. I do not know how anyone can misunderstand that.

If my post here about you means anything, it's to show, you have it all, and ........... and.................................. :tu::yes:

Yup!

Though, I'm still going :w00t: over the 'others have a right to those expectations' bit. It's like, everyone has a right to creep up and peer through your window and allowed to drool. *shrugs*

Ok, Ok, Ok, ( puts on Joe Pesci persona from the 'Lethal Weapon' movies ) Ok OK OK , They **** you in the drive thru!! They ..............

Ok, I digress.

Hey Sheri! When he says he can't comprehend, he really means it. He couldn't comprehend what your post really was, and answered it in a way that has no connection to what you really did say in your post he's replying to.

Because, I'm pretty sure his reply was in any way not what you meant. Or did I get that wrong?

No, no , no, Mr. Walker, don't you answer............... I know what your answer is going to be. I was saying that part to Sheri.

Or Back to earth

Or Davros

Or Xeno

;)

Good question. :tu:

None the less i will answer. You are totally correct. Quite clearly the opposite is also true. sherapy doesn't have a clue what I am talking about, mean or intend, either.

MW, you have to choose what is best for you, and if God is best for you to me that this is your choice is what matters.

I agree, I do not think that my path would be suitable for you, or my choices would work for you. But they do work for me and I am fine with that.

On the other hand: It is a good question if suffering is viable, and of course this is something I would limit myself on ( personally) but I think for some it is the only way they can learn, and it is the only way they can reach deep to find a better way. I do not make judgments I look to see how they use their experiences, I have seen many amazing people do many amazing things, on the heels of what I'd call awful. But what I'd call awful has turned out to be another's miracle. Go figure. IMO belief in God in and of itself is not an end all it may or may not be what is best for a person, I leave that to the person to determine. I have no preference.

Indeed, I have been open and candid about my mother, while her and I didn't get as far as I would have liked towards a loving respectful relationship, I am a pleased with how far my mom did come and hard she tried to do her part, my journey continues my step dad and granny have been amazing in helping me see my mom through their eyes and it has gone a long way in cultivating the compassion and understanding needed for me to heal.

My home schooling journey turned out to be an amazing success story(but I had an amazing set of mentors/ academics) who committed to the whole journey/ helped me so much) it far surpassed even my grandest hopes on many levels. For me, it was the most courageous thing I have ever taken on. Would I recommend it, no I would not, it's a big commitment, and my youngest was the right fit ( that matters too) he was always smart beyond his years and independent minded that figured in a lot.

I would strongly encourage anyone to leave no stone unturned in options first, yet I would say that if done right it is a great path for some. My middle son went to public school and has had 7 football scholarships( full rides) of which he has narrowed down to two. My oldest is in cyber security. So I can't say homeschooling is better because my other two are fine too. I am honored to have been part of the homeschooling movement and to have done a great job. Now I am off to other adventures. :)

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Yup!

Ok, I digress.

Or Back to earth

Or Davros

Or Xeno

;)

Good question. :tu:

Yes, to hear your kind words about me means a lot to me. Thank you.

Do what thou will so long as it brings harm to none.

That can be a lot more complex than one may think. Somethings you don't think will do harm blows up in your face. But it is simple and has worked well for me, most of the time.

• Like 2

It's basically another way of rephrasing the golden rule. Treat others as you wish to be treated. Hopefully people have enough sense to use this one simple rule correctly. As for the phrase I used. It is extremely complicated on a personal level, especially if you leave the "bring no harm" part out. Considering that there are no actually rules and laws governing the human race. We are all held down by artificial constraints. Barely domesticated animals.

If we as a species got our heads out of our backsides we might make better progress in 5 years than we had in 50. Religion might unite groups of people, but it also separates them.

• Like 3