Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing your name called

FlynnAtriedes

This has happened to me twice, actually. Each time it happens it's briefly before I experience some type of trauma. First time was before my grandmother died in high school and the second time was before I experienced a bad PTSD episode sophomore year in college before I (long story short) dropped out. 

Both times, it (the voice) never scared me. I distinctly identified it as a males voice, knew the area of the room it was coming from and sounded very calming and comforting. Each time I knew it was the same voice. 

Of course I didn't put two and two together until the second time. Now I'm worried the "heads up" will change now that I've figured it out...

When someone is going to pass away I hear my mothers voice call my name before I wake. My mother is still with us so at first I was creeped out. The louder I hear her voice the closer the person who will passed away is to me and the further the voice the further they are to me. It's more of a whisper but I've had this voice yell extremely loud once that scared the crap out of me. A few days ago I heard this voice again and I knew someone was passing away and it happened. I know I'm not the only one out there that hears this and glad to see there's others. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello. I've been reading some of your posts, quite interesting. I have experienced, while asleep and not in a dream  story-such as in between dreams or such, a calm usually female voice call my name, or said,"Dad" in another voice, or as last night "right now" the voice said. One time it showed me letters and I instantly knew what they stood for although not seeing them before...once it was a blurry candelabra incandescent beautiful light pink color with the sence of pure PEACE . Some times I can identify the voice (usually always someone living). It happens maybe once or twice a month. It concerns? me but doesn't scare me. I usually always wake up when this happens. Never do I hear or see "this" when I am awake. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 10:42 PM, Ithappenedirl said:

I think this is normal. People interpret things they hear as familiar sounds all the time. Especially their name. I have a background in psychology so from what I learned it makes more sense and likely isn't due to a paranormal cause.

And I'm sure it's mass hysteria when it's recorded where you clearly hear it too. So If I called out your name from behind a fence then it's your psychological issue. Sorry but what you are doing is called being an arch chair psychologist. Regardless of your background, you are not doing an official psychological examination. The cause is technically unknown and your making conjecture.

• 4 months later...
On 4/5/2015 at 3:23 AM, FlynnAtriedes said:

No desrespect to anyone's opinion but I'm not talking about falling asleep or waking up and I'm not talking about a whisper...I'm talking about being wide awake (unless I was dreaming about being awake which I suppose is possible in a terrifying, matrix kind of way) and hearing my name, in a clear plain voice, calling me from down my hallway.

Hello, 

I have a similar issue .I had just come home from work not yet tired I went to the kitchen to make something to eat.My mother was getting ready to go to church as I went to the bathroom. I came out and returned to the kitchen .I heard my mother call my name "Vickie" upstairs (clearly) and I yelled Yes. I heard it again "Vickie" and I walked over to the stairs to be closer and yelled Yes. After no response I went upstairs and she wasn't there ,checked all the rooms and closets. It was her voice .I called her by cellphone and she said Im on my way to church and Im almost there. I quickly got out of the house at that moment because it scared me. I told her and others. I was told that when I heard the familiar voice death was near. My mothers spirit was letting me know that she was about to leave this earth. She died soon after about ( 7 months)That's what I've been told. I hope this helps.

Not exactly but kind of.  I've thought I heard someone call my name, but it was never a particular person.  And it was always where a person could be calling my name.  It's not paranormal, I don't think.  My understanding from what I have heard about this from family members and what I read about it on the handful of occasions that it happened to me is that simply hearing someone call your name is completely normal.  I think everyone has had this experience at some point, in one way or another. 

I have heard my name whispered since I was a very young child, usually when I was alone.  Sometimes it frightened me a little, looking around for who it was, but I realized it was someone I couldn't see.  When I grew up, I lived in a duplex apartment with my husband.  The acoustics of the place were great, because it was almost impossible to hear things from one room to the next.  Several times heard my name being yelled from outside my room, but getting up to go see who it was I never found anyone. Each of my friends and my husband experienced the same thing more than once and felt weird about running in to see who was calling them. After my husband and I split, I came by one evening when he wasn't home to pack up my things.  It was late, and I had totally forgotten about who or whatever it was that would call out.  I was very tired, and maybe lost in my thoughts, but the voice yelled LOUDLY right in my ear.  "Oh, I forgot all about you, I said.  I came to believe a ghost resided in the hallway between bedrooms.  When friends came over and were in my room, there was an overwhelming sense that someone was just outside the open door, about to walk in.  They'd ask, "Is there someone ... out there?"  Just ignore it, I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a really creepy experience. Though it only happened once, it was still scary. I was in my bed, going to sleep, I had been trying to fall asleep for about 5 minutes. Nobody in my family was in my room. So I heard these footsteps coming closer, but at the same time they didn’t really sound like footsteps. I usually sleep facing the wall to my right, and I heard it from my left. It sounded really close like they were standing right by my bed. I heard them whisper my name and I really couldn’t tell if it was a female or male voice, it just sounded like in between. 

On 4/6/2015 at 9:44 AM, Patient Zero said:

i've known people that take ADD meds and coincedently they have related many a paranormal story to me.

i would think that stimulating the CNS would cause some abnormalities in perception.

Then again, what do i know? :)

Either way, cool story.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to UM.

I had distinct one happen.  I had a voice of my son say mom I'm home only for me to sit up in bed look around and realize my son was at a sleepover and it was 3am.  Was clear enough for me to wake up and say ok.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I can understand when you're half-asleep in hearing it, and you could be dreaming in your still dreaming as you're waking up. What I heard was, while I was at work. I was already here for 9 hours. I had just talked to my supervisor and then she left. There was no one in here, and it was quiet. Everything off and I decided to go ahead and clean a little bit. I heard a sound like the wind, and then I heard my name called out by a whisper. Sounded like, it was beside me. Like a man kind of but, kind of sound like a woman. It was hard to tell if it was a man or woman's voice, but it was very clear. I wasn't asleep cause I was at work. So how do you explain that?

3 hours ago, Norma79 said:

I can understand when you're half-asleep in hearing it, and you could be dreaming in your still dreaming as you're waking up. What I heard was, while I was at work. I was already here for 9 hours. I had just talked to my supervisor and then she left. There was no one in here, and it was quiet. Everything off and I decided to go ahead and clean a little bit. I heard a sound like the wind, and then I heard my name called out by a whisper. Sounded like, it was beside me. Like a man kind of but, kind of sound like a woman. It was hard to tell if it was a man or woman's voice, but it was very clear. I wasn't asleep cause I was at work. So how do you explain that?

Audio pareidolia? Imagined it?

I used to think I’ve heard my kids say “mom” but they’d be quietly playing or in a different room and when I asked them they would say they didn’t call out. When they were really little (babies) I would hear them crying but when I’d check they’d be sound asleep. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

Audio pareidolia? Imagined it?

I used to think I’ve heard my kids say “mom” but they’d be quietly playing or in a different room and when I asked them they would say they didn’t call out. When they were really little (babies) I would hear them crying but when I’d check they’d be sound asleep. 

That's because they were telepathically communicating with you,all animals do it and you can too,so you haven't lost the ability, as a lot have.

From the stories I have heard, and read here and other places, it seems to be a common (semi common) happening whether this actually happens or your hearing thing...well  who am I to say to say otherwise. I too have heard my name called several times most of those times I was under duress, every time I was totally awake. one of those times It was an entire sentence with my name in the sentence. and every time I was alone.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've heard my dead Mother and Grandmother call out my name several times before at night. I've always been awake and alone. The first time it happened it was around 2am. I was sitting on my patio smoking a cigarette and I distinctively heard my Mother's voice say, "Kathy, Kathy." There have been times I've heard my Grandmother's voice call my name. I'm never afraid though.

I swear this happened to me once, it was late at night and was in the front room and I heard my name being called, it sounded like a loud whisper if that makes any sense, female voice, and I couldn't tell where it seemed to come from but I heard it twice.

I told the other half about it a couple of days later, he asked when it had happened, then said he'd heard something calling his name the same night.

Freaky!

• Like 1