Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing your name called

FlynnAtriedes

Have you ever heard a voice called by someone who wasn't there? By someone who couldn't be there?

The other night I was sitting in my living room on the couch, I heard footsteps coming down the hallway which runs behind the wall which the couch rests up against. I figured it was my wife getting some water and didn't think anything of it until I very clearly heard my father's voice saying my name from around the corner. My father lives in California and I haven't spoken to him in almost a year and yet there was his voice, his very distinct voice in my apartment. I jumped up and ran to the hallway and into my room and all I saw was my wife alseep on our bed.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Yes. And every time this has happened to me, I was wide awake.

• Like 1

It was always a whisper and feminin for me. But having gained a measure of control in a the inbetween states, I eventually just asked it what's up with all the name calling, knocking, and foot steps. Be it hypnogogic dream construct or something else she had an interesting answer.

Edited by White Crane Feather

Have you ever heard a voice called by someone who wasn't there? By someone who couldn't be there?

The other night I was sitting in my living room on the couch, I heard footsteps coming down the hallway which runs behind the wall which the couch rests up against. I figured it was my wife getting some water and didn't think anything of it until I very clearly heard my father's voice saying my name from around the corner. My father lives in California and I haven't spoken to him in almost a year and yet there was his voice, his very distinct voice in my apartment. I jumped up and ran to the hallway and into my room and all I saw was my wife alseep on our bed.

Yes, several times. Both my partner and I have experienced this.

Yes and To your problem I think its about time you talk to your father.

Yes I have heard my name called out loud when no one was around. The voice is loud and clear as if it is calling out to get my attention. I've heard this both when in the sleepy time and when in broad daylight and fully awake. I heard this calling of my name many times between the ages of 7 or so , up through my late twenties. I cannot say whether it was always the same voice, but its always clear and distinct. My perception is that the voice saying my name is coming from the outside world, never in my head. I have heard other voices in my head, but the one that calls my name always comes from outside of my head. This is a common enough phenomena. I saw another refer to this as "auditory hallucinations". I think its more than that. I've been a musicians for almost 40 yrs. and have witnessed first hand audio hallucinations. I've also heard the celestial music in altered states that is similar to the contemporary synthesizer, though much richer and has a physical component to it. As though each tone was a thing not a sound. It was nice to read the replies to this. Thank you all. :)

Something similar to that happened to me years ago. I wasn't dreaming anything particular, but I remember having heard clearly a unknown women voice telling my name like if she were trying to get my attention. I didn't dreamed it, I heard it & it woke me up. That was really strange.

• Like 1

I've had this happen to me before. Usually when I'm walking down the street or doing something monotonous. Even though you're "wide awake", you might have went off into a sort of daydream,

• 3 months later...

This happened to me some years after my mother passed away.

When she passed, it was a very bad situation and I ended up feeling extremely guilty and full of regret at mistakes that I had made.

I was unable to cope and for one short period, my life was at risk because of my state of mind.

I started to attend spiritual churches and on one occasion, I was given a message that didn't mean anything to me.

The message was simply the name of the film star "Shirley Maclaine".

Some months perhaps a year or so later, I was at home lying on my sofa dozing in the afternoon, when I was awakened by the sound of my mother's voice saying my name, which left me in a state of shock.

I had left the radio on down very low in another room and lying perfectly still for a few minutes, I just about heard the letters UFO and decided to get up to hear who was talking.

To my amazement it was Shirley Maclaine.

She was promoting her latest film called "Closing The Ring", in which she played the part of someone who was stuck in the past, as she was unable to grieve and move on.

This was exactly the position that I was in!

It seemed to me that this series of events was a communication from my mother, in response to my desperate state of mind.

It was the most incredible psychic experience and synchronicity combined that I have ever had.

• Like 1

If you believe in the collective unconscious then someone could simple have thought about you strongly. So you "hear" a voice call your name.

If you believe in the collective unconscious then someone could simple have thought about you strongly. So you "hear" a voice call your name.

Hum - that's actually quite interesting and something I haven't heard before... kinda makes you stop think.

Edited by Oops Monkey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spirits can and do learn names and something like this is common. Even if it isn't my name I sometimes hear creaking and footsteps, sometimes my name too when I'm alone.

I have had this happen plenty of times, including "phantom" television chatter, footsteps, dog whimpers, etc... I do not think it is supernatural by any means. I believe that after routinely hearing these repeated phrases/sounds, the brain begins to assume them when something is barely audible. A light stimulus on the threshold of our perception has the blanks filled with what is familiar to us. Though different than hypnagogic hallucinations that happen before sleep in my experience.

• Like 1

I've never heard my name being called out before,but i have heard kids laughing,and a whistle being blown as if a referee was officiating a ball game.I've also heard footsteps on my front porch that sounded identical to someone walking down a hallway wearing cowboy boots..I've always chalked it up as my mind playing tricks on me,but there's been family and friends who was visiting that said they heard the exact same sounds,so who knows?

• 4 months later...

I have heard my name being called before. Recently in the last three weeks I have had it happen three times. Once while in my living room sitting on a couch across from my fiance that was sitting on our other couch. I heard my nickname called clear as day. I thought it was him but I was sure he didn't say my name. I asked him anyways and he said he did not. Another time it happened again with him right next to me but he said he didn't. Another time I was in a very relaxed state but totally alert and aware of what was going on around me. My house was calm and my fiance was moving around back & forth doing stuff in the living room & kitchen ( I could tell where he was at because of the direction the noise was coming from ). I had been up for maybe six minutes or ten. I was just laying there thinking, opening, and closing my eyes. Then I heard my nick name called so clearly , in a calm tone , and it was a male voice. I knew it was not my fiance's voice at all. I KNEW that. The way the sound of the voice was different. Like many of the comments I'm reading I have experiences of hearing my name called clearly while awake and alert. Also in that sleepy almost sleep like state or that trying to wake up from sleep state. I don't hear my name called often but it's happened through out my life.Since my dad passed I have also heard his voice saying my name out of nowhere. I don't think of my dad often nor do I try to but I hear him out of the blue saying my name.Is it my subconscious mind just speaking out lol IDK I also have friends and family who have experienced this too. I just keep reading and listening to the experiences of others for explanations. I was told they are warnings,I am just over thinking, to not respond to the calling, and the list goes on.

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard this as well. However it was not my mothers voice. It was my own, I was not sleeping or relaxing I was walking. On a stroll down a long road. I recognize my voice how it sounds to me. It was like a whisper at first eventually it came out as a regular voice. Quite surreal.

I have heard this as well. However it was not my mothers voice. It was my own, I was not sleeping or relaxing I was walking. On a stroll down a long road. I recognize my voice how it sounds to me. It was like a whisper at first eventually it came out as a regular voice. Quite surreal.

• 1 year later...

I used to hear my name called when I was outside. I'd just be playing by myself and would hear a voice that I didn't recognise calling me. I once shouted back, asking who it was and I've never heard it again. I used to assume it was my imagination (as a kid, my mother made sure I was very self-aware) but since it stopped I'm not so sure.

• 7 months later...

IT USE TO HAPPEN TO ME A LOT , AS A CHILD AND GROWING UP. SORRY FOR ALL UPPERCASE LETTERS.  I WAS BORN WITH CEREBRAL PALSY.  I FORGOT HOW MUCH I USE TO COME ON THIS FORUM.  IT IS A LOT BETTER WITH PEOPLE BEING MORE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS.  I LIKE BEING ON  A FORUM DISCUSSING THE PARANORMAL TOGETHER WORKING TO UNDERSTAND WHY THESE THINGS HAPPEN.

WHEN I GOT OLDER, I WENT FROM HEARING MY NAME BEING CALLED, BUT HEARING THE VOICES OF OTHERS. FOR EXAMPLE, I WOULD HEAR MY MUM SAY SOMETHING THINKING SHE SAID IT, WHEN SHE WAS THINKING IT, OR ABOUT TO SAY IT.  

AS MY HEALTH HAS BECOME WORSE OVER THE PAST SEVEN YEARS, I STILL HEAR SOMETIMES PEOPLE TALKING, OR SOMEBODY'S VOICE REALLY LOW. HOWEVER, I'VE BEEN GETTING MORSE CODE IN MY LEFT EAR.  I WILL HAVE TO WRITE IT DOWN.

HOWEVER, WHEN I HEARD MY NAME ,AS A CHILD BEING CALLED, I THOUGHT WAS MY MUM. IT WOULDN'T BE MY MUM, NOR MY DAD.  I JUST ACCEPTED IT. THE MORSE CODE IS FOUR QUICK DOTS FOLLOWED BY THREE DOTS THEN FOUR DOTS. I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS SOS, BUT IT IS ALWAYS THE LEFT EAR.

I HAVE HEARD PEOPLE'S THOUGHTS, BUT EDOMITES AND ANIMAL'S ARE MUCH BETTER.

Audio hallucinations. I started getting them from a head injury and a mild stroke. Your cerebral palsy would cause the same symptom sometimes.

• Like 1

I think this is normal. People interpret things they hear as familiar sounds all the time. Especially their name. I have a background in psychology so from what I learned it makes more sense and likely isn't due to a paranormal cause.

• Like 1

I've heard my name called in the middle of the night in the voice of one of my brothers who was nowhere near me. I've also been woken out of a sound stage 4 sleep by the phone ringing when it was disconnected. I don't assume these things are paranormal and doubt they are. I think it's psychological in this particular case. 

• Like 1

Banishment of your choice should work. I was able to oust all kinds of woo. We don't have any issues anymore.