Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Russian 'apewoman' a genuine Yeti ?

UM-Bot

A DNA analysis suggests that a woman known as Zana may have been from a long lost human subspecies.

Captured in the Caucasus mountains in 1850, Zana was reported to possess characteristics more like that of a wild beast than a human.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-a-genuine-yeti

• Like 2

Imo

Yes, if we redefine "Yeti", which is also a bigfoot practice.

If she was a rare Himalayan bear or an ungulate, which is what "Yeti" DNA has identified so far, then Zana could have been a "Yeti".

But she was identified as 100% human, subSaharan African.

So if "Yeti" have simply been misidentified humans (possibly bundled up in fur/thick clothing for the cold weather) then yes, she could be a "Yeti" then too.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 4

Imo

Yes, if we redefine "Yeti", which is also a bigfoot practice.

If she was a rare Himalayan bear or an ungulate, which is what "Yeti" DNA has identified so far, then Zana could have been a "Yeti".

But she was identified as 100% human, subSaharan African.

So if "Yeti" have simply been misidentified humans (possibly bundled up in fur/thick clothing for the cold weather) then yes, she could be a "Yeti" then too.

a sub species of woman

I remember watching a documentary on this..

..I can't remember much of it though..:P

She was a Russian woman! Its just degrading and rude to refer to them as "yeti's"

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

She was a Russian woman! Its just degrading and rude to refer to them as "yeti's"

Indeed, some make fantastic mail order brides..:D

• Like 5

A DNA analysis suggests that a woman known as Zana may have been from a long lost human subspecies.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-a-genuine-yeti

Analysis of her DNA revealed that she was "100% African", but bore little physical or genetic resemblance to any modern African group, according to Sykes.

I do wish that when these articles state these things, such as her DNA did not resemble modern Africans, that there would be some proof attached, because otherwise this seems like just an opinion.

Interesting that they put a pic from a recent "bigfoot" sighting at Yellowstone National park in the article. What the heck does that have to do with anything? A picture of the Caucus mountains would be more appropriate.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

Indeed, some make fantastic mail order brides..:D

I've never met a Russian woman but they are some of the most beautiful women in the world, along with that accent :)

• Like 3

Zana and her children were 100% real, and there are pictures of them. I was under the impression she was sub-Saharan African and was nothing but a slave. Of course people of her kind were tough and strong, that's why she was taken from her people and sold, and forced into a life of bondage and slavery. I always thought it was an incredibly sad story, if you get away the the folktale parts of it. Her being an Almasty or Sasquatch is new to me. I'd have to say noway.

Edited by Atuke
  • Like 3

[..]

Interesting that they put a pic from a recent "bigfoot" sighting at Yellowstone National park in the article. [...]

Few sources claim it was from Russia: bigfootsight.com, mirror.co.uk.

It could have been poacher, escaped convict (that happens), illegal miner, etc

• Like 1

Interesting that they put a pic from a recent "bigfoot" sighting at Yellowstone National park in the article. What the heck does that have to do with anything? A picture of the Caucus mountains would be more appropriate.

I thought the Caucus mountains were in Iowa? :P

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 3

A Mental and physically 'unusual' woman that was raped... not a nice story

• Like 3

I met a russian lady once. She was an exchange student back when I was in high school. She had a uni-brow but she was always so nice. Kept staring at me in history class. When I'd catch her doing that she'd get red faced. Dang I was naive back then. :blush:

Couldn't help but want to insert this clip in.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

Few sources claim it was from Russia: bigfootsight.com, mirror.co.uk.

It could have been poacher, escaped convict (that happens), illegal miner, etc

Not the one UM used, the one in the article.

bigfoot.jpg?w=736

The caption says...

Four yeti-like creatures are seen on the footage taken in Yellowstone National Park.

I just don't see what that has to do with the article about Zana.

• Like 1

the fun thing is that in 90% of the time when people on the internet go yeti Bigfoot Sasquatch whatever there is a batter suited cryptid in the area, why do people always call them by Bigfoot yeti and Sasquatch, but i thing that in this case its almost appropriate because i remember watching a Russian documentary in Russian where the name was what Russians say to be a synonym to Bigfoot but still it would be appropriate to call these things by the native name, btw where we are from we have a Russian on every other block and frankly you cant tell the difference by appearance typically from a Russian and a american or whatever aside that they tend to have a bit more pail skin (interesting fact their accent is actually nothing like the one in American movies, i remember that when i watched the avengers black widows fake accent almost made me lol)

Procreation accommodates even extreme evolution. Yet, how interesting the subsequent interpretation becomes when we consider extreme statistical variability within a population relative to time. In one era this woman becomes a slave in another era she may have become a highly paid athlete.

As regarding to Zana's non-yeti origins this may explain a lot: https://en.wikipedia...African_descent

Zana lived in the village of Tkhina (Ochamchyra region), which is in Abkhazia.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

As regarding to Zana's non-yeti origins this may explain a lot: https://en.wikipedia...African_descent

Zana lived in the village of Tkhina (Ochamchyra region), which is in Abkhazia.

It doesn't explain the claim that her DNA bears no similarity with other African groups, which it should if she was a descendant of 17th century slaves, and the futher claim that her DNA is that of an ancient human group. Her reported, although possibly exaggerated, abilities of immense strength and speed aren't explained away, although you can't discount the possiblity that she was simply someone who led a very physically demanding life and adapted well to it. I don't know how an ancient human group could survive in that area of the world until the 19th century and remain genetically distinct enough to maintain the characteristics she was described as having.

• Like 2

the fun thing is that in 90% of the time when people on the internet go yeti Bigfoot Sasquatch whatever there is a batter suited cryptid in the area, why do people always call them by Bigfoot yeti and Sasquatch, but i thing that in this case its almost appropriate because i remember watching a Russian documentary in Russian where the name was what Russians say to be a synonym to Bigfoot but still it would be appropriate to call these things by the native name, btw where we are from we have a Russian on every other block and frankly you cant tell the difference by appearance typically from a Russian and a american or whatever aside that they tend to have a bit more pail skin (interesting fact their accent is actually nothing like the one in American movies, i remember that when i watched the avengers black widows fake accent almost made me lol)

say what??

• Like 4

"Analysis of her DNA revealed that she was "100% African", but bore little physical or genetic resemblance to any modern African group, according to Sykes."

So... people around Africa share bits of DNA with her, but no one group share enough to pinpoint a close autosomal match...? Did I get it right?

I can't wait to read Sykes' coming paper, the current statements are just too confusing.

• Like 1

"Analysis of her DNA revealed that she was "100% African", but bore little physical or genetic resemblance to any modern African group, according to Sykes."

So... people around Africa share bits of DNA with her, but no one group share enough to pinpoint a close autosomal match...? Did I get it right?

I can't wait to read Sykes' coming paper, the current statements are just too confusing.

Or confusingly reported. It never made sense the first time I read it either.

Sykes is copping it:

His television coverage was sound, the paper was published in a reputable journal, but then it was all downhill from there.

His results were challenged twice. Here and here. The second rebuttal prompted a defensive (and rather ignorant) response from Sykes regarding molecular taxonomy. Not only does he continue to dismiss application of statistical methods to DNA, but now he’s accused of making up an institute. It’s catching the attention of other professionals in the community and they are not amused.

http://doubtfulnews....ct-get-slammed/

[A] recent Times article noted that he no longer holds the position at Oxford as originally reported, and incredibly that he’d fabricated an institute to appear in his affiliations:

[The 2014 Royal Society journal paper] gave Sykes’s affiliation as the Institute of Human Genetics at Wolfson College, Oxford. Sykes is a fellow of Wolfson but he admitted the institute was mythical. “The journal required some sort of additional address in the college and, hey presto, I became an institute!”

Sykes’s book says he has been professor of human genetics at Oxford since 1997, but university officials said he had not held that post for a decade or so.

http://biochemistri....yan-sykes-times

2pzbh1s.jpg

Edited by Night Walker
  • Like 2

It doesn't explain the claim that her DNA bears no similarity with other African groups, which it should if she was a descendant of 17th century slaves, and the futher claim that her DNA is that of an ancient human group. Her reported, although possibly exaggerated, abilities of immense strength and speed aren't explained away, although you can't discount the possiblity that she was simply someone who led a very physically demanding life and adapted well to it. I don't know how an ancient human group could survive in that area of the world until the 19th century and remain genetically distinct enough to maintain the characteristics she was described as having.

I'm wondering how, if the genetics is so different from any other African, that she was pegged as 100% African? The whole '...no similarity..." bit is still really sketchy if you ask me.

I thought her kids had DNA testing done and they also showed nothing unusual.

• Like 1

My opinion is that she was a black lady who found herself in Russia. Most likely a slave.

Those in that area of Russia probably had never seen a black woman, so it would make sense that they regarded her as a wild animal of sorts.