Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Net speed record smashed

Tommy

Scientists have set a new internet speed record by transferring 6.7 gigabytes of data across 10,978 kilometres (6,800 miles), from Sunnyvale in the US to Amsterdam in Holland, in less than one minute.

Using a quantity of data equivalent to two feature-length DVD-quality movies, the transfer was accomplished at an average speed of more than 923 megabits per second, or more than 3,500 times faster than a typical home broadband connection.

Article Here

With technology like this around already, albeit in experimental phase, it’s amazing how most of us are still relying on our 56k modems! dry.gif

To Broadband and beyond!!...cool.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dAz

• Kira

• Althalus

• Bizarro

Top Posters In This Topic

To Broadband and beyond!!..

oh yes let's hope that the telcom networks get their backsides into gear, to update all the exchanges........ I WANT BROADBAND NOW!!!!! unsure.gifsmile.gif

DS, I thought my computer held that record, it has a fit if I have one page open on the net, or do something simple like have it switched on for any gret length of time.

Damn that's fast!!!!!! I'd love to have Internet at that speed.

The fastest i got with my internet was 600Kb per second and i though that was fast?!

The problem is that broadband installation is centered around the metropolatin areas simply because thats where business is. The rural areas won't recieve it untill the demand really outweighs the cost of installing it. Moving from the big city to somewhere that isn't considered yet for broadband was a devastating blow but I took it with my chin held high. I went from 800 mbps to a 56k modem and I get ticked when it's this dial connect diconnect and do it all over again dance. There is also another alternative which is more costly than regular broadband at 39.99 to 50 dollars a month, which is satellite service that runs a cool 70 bucks a month and is only subjected to your choice. Choice A is satellite down phone out, which is really slow and choice B is to use it both up and down which will transfer between 700mbps to 900mbps, but it is affected by the weather.

I get ticked when it's this dial connect diconnect and do it all over again dance.

BC, I know just what you mean,

my pc does that dance too! laugh.gif