Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No religion is safe from corruption

ambelamba

Today I read a post from some Korean guy. (no, not UM) He wrote about the messy history of the church he used to attend. There were a lot of clash over church ownership and business. Renting and buying the building, business ownership and etc. Yeah, it's quite common. Also I read an article about animal abuse by Thai Buddhist monks. Well, in Thailand Buddhist temples and monks are basically above the law. They can do whatever they want and get away with it.

Even when I was a Christian, I opposed the merge of religion and political power. Religions deal with absolute truth, and when mixed with power it will absolutely go rotten. (I am pretty sure there are a lot of corruptions among Islamic clerics who have political power, not just other religions.) I saw it as a sign of the deconstruction. But...

I was shocked that many Christians are vehemently against the separation of religion and power. And they are also against self-regulation and ethical governing of the churches. Why? Because they believe that humans are unable to do anything by themselves and they have to leave everything to God. And look what we have.

Of course church leaders would proclaim that to the churchgoers, because that distracts people from the corruption of the church. Basically, pastors are manipulating and maneuvering the parishioners. And some people really buy into it. One woman I argued with , over the self-regulation of church management, saw me as some unenlightened noob with not much faith. (I was a Christian at that point.) She believed that God would take care of everything. She got sucked by her pastor.

• Like 2

No human is free from corruption.

• Like 5

. She got sucked by her pastor.

Erm, ok.

I agree that religions corrupt.

• Like 2

I will be posting this as an individual looking from the outside in. Considering I never was raised within a religion and church going and bible reading, (or any institution and their materials), I don't think I have an opinion that would closely relate. So, I do consider that what I have as an opinion is not as informed as others might be here, especially the OP. I have observations, and probably how I read the spoken newsbytes and how others have treated me in the real world.

So I say as my observational opinion, I think it's half and half. I see good churches and I see bad, and I see religion's arrogance and I see religion's humbleness. I have noticed, (and noted) some in the politics of my country assuming that their religion is also what is best for the rest of the country not realizing how one sided that could be. And being religion is belief based, I don't get why their subjective thinking would work overall on an objective goal. *shrugs*. I don't know, I don't get. I do agree, religion and government does not mix. And I'm seeing that chaotic mix right now in my country. But again, I see it as half and half. I find that others understand that, and pursue the goal of actual politics. There are a couple of individuals I have in mind that I see do that.

I just think we have to try to understand how we look at things, and how we can prevent some from asserting too much influence.

• Like 1

As a victim of vacation Baptist Bible camp, yes, religion can be very corrupt. Many times it is just another form of politics.

• Like 2

As a victim of vacation Baptist Bible camp, yes, religion can be very corrupt. Many times it is just another form of politics.

Yeah, from time to time, and really seeing it at this time, I fully believe that.

I think everything can be corrupt, be it religion, politics, videogame design, you name it and it can become rotten. Humans are very corruptible creatures, after all. I think corrupt religion is worse, however, because as the OP says they deal with absolute truths and therefore can cause way more damage than someone wielding political power.

• Like 1

Your title, 'No religion is safe from corruption', word.

You must be a young man, as when you get older you realize that everything a human being touches, has the potential to be doomed. Whether it is or isn't, well that's debated based on your point of view.