Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brontosaurus dino name is revived

Still Waters

The iconic name Brontosaurus, once used to describe a family of huge dinosaurs, has been resurrected after being killed off more than a century ago.

In 1903, scientists decided Brontosaurus was a more complete specimen of a different dinosaur.

But many more specimens of plant-eating sauropod dinosaurs are now known, allowing scientists to carry out the most complete analysis of their bones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-32205289

• Like 3

Killed off a hundred years ago?.... I wasn't even born then (I promise!!) but I was brought up learning about the Brontosaurus, only to find that I was really studying Apatosaurus... Now it's Brontosaurus again? oy veh :no:

• Like 3

Great News!... Now we can rock out to this again!....

(Oh yeah! Shake it!... er.... Stomp it!).... :su:sk:su:sk

• Like 4

It was brontosaurus when I was a kid. I'm not nearly 100 years old, either.

Anyway, I guess this is a good thing. I and nearly everyone I know are used to saying brontosaurus anyway.

• Like 3

Hurray for the return of Brontosaurus.

• Like 6

Yep i was in the brontosaurus educational era aswell!

they just tell us mere window lickers anything!

Next the indominus Rex wont be real either! ;-)

• Like 2

Great News!... Now we can rock out to this again!....

(Oh yeah! Shake it!... er.... Stomp it!).... :su:sk:su:sk

LOL what year is that? :clap::su:clap::su:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :clap::su :su :su :su :su

• Like 1

after being killed off more than a century ago.

I grew up learning that they were killed off 65 million years ago. :innocent:

• Like 3

LOL what year is that? :clap::su:clap::su:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :clap::su :su :su :su :su

1960... I was 7 and this song was a GREAT song for a 7 year old!... (Not so much for his - much put on - mother, who had to hear it 5,000 times a day)...

• Like 2

I grew up learning that they were killed off 65 million years ago. :innocent:

Didn't you know that Brontos were the reason the Souix were able to defeat Gen Custer?... They rode them into battle and scared the bejeebus out of the cavalry troopers... After that battle there was

a concerted effort by the Gubment to wipe out the Dinos (Bronto's in particular) to make sure they couldn't be ridden into battle again... Them dying out 65 million years ago is 'revisionist history"... :whistle:

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

Didn't you know that Brontos were the reason the Souix were able to defeat Gen Custer?... They rode them into battle and scared the bejeebus out of the cavalry troopers... After that battle there was

a concerted effort by the Gubment to wipe out the Dinos (Bronto's in particular) to make sure they couldn't be ridden into battle again... Them dying out 65 million years ago is 'revisionist history"... :whistle:

I didn't know that. Thank you for opening my eyes !

• Like 1

This would be so much funnier if there weren't people that believed it to be true....

• Like 1

So when is Pluto gonna make its comeback?

• Like 2

This is great news! Brontosaurus was always the #2 dino behind T-Rex. Let's celebrate with a shot of West Indian Lilac!

• Like 1

So when is Pluto gonna make its comeback?

I'm still waiting for the Plutonian Invasion and Revenge fleet to arrive... Some planets don't take kindly to being downgraded...

Killed off a hundred years ago?.... I wasn't even born then (I promise!!) but I was brought up learning about the Brontosaurus, only to find that I was really studying Apatosaurus... Now it's Brontosaurus again? oy veh :no:

Same here. I had books when I was growing up in the 70's that taught me about the brontosaurus. It was always my second favorite dinosaur. Behind the triceratops.

• Like 1

1960... I was 7 and this song was a GREAT song for a 7 year old!... (Not so much for his - much put on - mother, who had to hear it 5,000 times a day)...

LOL, I've never heard this song. I guess my mom was lucky (well, not really!) :clap::su

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for the Plutonian Invasion and Revenge fleet to arrive... Some planets don't take kindly to being downgraded...

4.something billion miles away... I'm not sure the news has reached them yet