Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's Oldest Message in a Bottle Found

She-ra

More than 100 years ago, a young German man named Richard Platz stuffed a message into a brown beer bottle, then tossed the bottle into the Baltic Sea during a nature hike.

Platz, the 20-year-old son of a baker, had no way of knowing that his message would survive two world wars, the Great Depression and the Cold War — not to mention more than a century of brutal winters and ocean storms.

Read more here: http://www.livescience.com/44709-message-in-a-bottle-worlds-oldest.html?cmpid=514627_20150407_43090376&adbid=10152669226926761&adbpl=fb&adbpr=30478646760

I now have The Police song stuck in my head :lol: I thought this was very cool :tu:

• Like 7

A great find & fantastic that it was given to his Granddaughter :tu:

I know right?!?! Wasn't that sweet? She had never met him either so it makes it even more special I bet :yes:

zz- message in the boooooootle, yea! :lol: I'm still singing it in my head over here!

• Like 2

And the bottle has been found by a German fisherman, named Konrad Fischer (Fischer=fisherman). Hooray!

Edited by toast
  • Like 3

And the bottle has been found by a German fisherman, named Konrad Fischer (Fischer=fisherman). Hooray!

OH! I didn't catch that!! How cool is that :tu: Great addition to the story. Love it!

PS: My husband is 100% German. I should have caught that!

Edited by She-ra
  • Like 2

What a great story! I bet his granddaughter has it mounted someplace special in her home. Its so amazing that the bottle was in such great shape after all this time. What a wonderful heirloom to pass down to her children and grandchildren! :tsu:

• Like 2

I will be back in Hamburg next month and will then take an image of the bottle at the museum and post it here.