Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Terminally ill man to undergo head transplant

UM-Bot

Computer scientist Valery Spiridonov is set to become the first man in history to undergo the procedure.

The 30-year-old suffers from Werdnig-Hoffman disease, a genetic muscle wasting disorder that has left him confined to a wheelchair.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/280181/terminally-ill-man-to-undergo-head-transplant

• Like 1

Huh, this could open up to some very interesting horror movies. "MY BODY DOESN'T LIKE ME, IT KILLED MY HUSBAND" And it should be called like "HoBoddy"

Those 12 millions could be better used if given to some charity organization, mainly for feeding hungry children. That way he would do good for many and actually make his life worth enough so he can die in peace.

This way it is just playing 'frankenstein' and most likely he won't survive the procedure.

The man is branded as nuts, and this most likely will never happen... not soon anyway

• Like 1

Computer scientist Valery Spiridonov is set to become the first man in history to undergo the procedure.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...head-transplant

Looking at the state he is in I say go for it, he can only win from this. He won't get 100% sensation and movement of his new body it will be closer to 40%. But it might well be enough for him to walk which is what he is after.

• Like 1

But his head on a woman's body! That would really blow his mind when he wakes up..4fvfcja.gif

• Like 5

Maybe, better spent on looking for a cure for disease, but I can understand why the young man would be willing to go through the transplant. Medical research is never cheap, but does mean we should stop?

• Like 1

And I'm sure many people would like to experience a new (insert transplantable bodily material of choice here),

Edited by Skeptic Chicken
  • Like 1

But his head on a woman's body! That would really blow his mind when he wakes up..4fvfcja.gif

Or a giraffe... if you really want to freak him (and everyone else) out!

• Like 3

Huh, this could open up to some very interesting horror movies. "MY BODY DOESN'T LIKE ME, IT KILLED MY HUSBAND" And it should be called like "HoBoddy"

There's probably already some obscure C-movie out there like that.

hmmmm, legally, which person would he be?

the person supplying the head or the person supplying the body? - I imagine both would have to be alive in order for the procedure to work, even if the body is declared "brain dead" before the operation

BEST - Ron

There's probably already some obscure C-movie out there like that.

polly_s_new_body___dog_tf____by_dcomics371-d6jc63g.jpg

• Like 2

Ok the idea of this is terrifying! What if the body knows its got a different head? what if the brain dead person knows its head is being chopped off and cant do anything about it?! Will the new head remember the bodies previous head? And who's identity would it be? Oh so many questions! This is like a twisted horror movie! Im facinated :P

• Like 2

hmmmm, legally, which person would he be?

the person supplying the head or the person supplying the body? - I imagine both would have to be alive in order for the procedure to work, even if the body is declared "brain dead" before the operation

BEST - Ron

He'll be the dead guy, the odds of him surviving is little better than his odds of winning the lottery. As is usual, when a person signs an organ donor card at the DMV, it includes all organs they might want to harvest. However, in a case like this, then obviously the body donor has given his body over to science, in which case his body becomes the property of whomever he's donated it to, and once you're declared "brain dead", you're dead from a legal stand point. While the body may still be functioning so that would be the best time to go for the head swap. I have no idea if that's what they'll do, but I will want to know how it goes for him.

• Like 2

Ok the idea of this is terrifying! What if the body knows its got a different head? what if the brain dead person knows its head is being chopped off and cant do anything about it?! Will the new head remember the bodies previous head? And who's identity would it be? Oh so many questions! This is like a twisted horror movie! Im facinated :P

A brain dead person doesn't know anything, they're dead. He's now the identity of the person who's head was installed on the body.

Will the new head remember the bodies previous head?

Are you serious?

He'll be the dead guy, the odds of him surviving is little better than his odds of winning the lottery. As is usual, when a person signs an organ donor card at the DMV, it includes all organs they might want to harvest. However, in a case like this, then obviously the body donor has given his body over to science, in which case his body becomes the property of whomever he's donated it to, and once you're declared "brain dead", you're dead from a legal stand point. While the body may still be functioning so that would be the best time to go for the head swap. I have no idea if that's what they'll do, but I will want to know how it goes for him.

huh, that seems weird - I would imagine a person would have to be "physically dead" before they harvest organs - I'd hate to think the medical profession would harvest organs from a "brain dead" person while the body was still alive - even if the person signed a DMV donor card

BEST - Ron

Fascinating, indeed. :blink:

huh, that seems weird - I would imagine a person would have to be "physically dead" before they harvest organs - I'd hate to think the medical profession would harvest organs from a "brain dead" person while the body was still alive - even if the person signed a DMV donor card

BEST - Ron

It doesn't work that way, once you're physically dead your organs are too, and not suitable for transplant. a dead organ can't be brought back to life, if they could then the person to whom it belonged would still be alive. If they "harvest them while they are alive then they can be transported and re-installed in a new body. You need to read up on how organ donation works. My daughter refused to sign an organ donor card because she was afraid that if she did they might take her organs before they were sure she was actually brain dead. Yes, she saw the movie, "Coma".

Edited by KevinP
  • Like 1

This fascinates and terrifies me in pretty much equal measures!

• Like 3

I somehow doubt the spinal and accompanying nerves are going to connect very well...

• Like 5

It doesn't work that way, once you're physically dead your organs are too, and not suitable for transplant. a dead organ can't be brought back to life, if they could then the person to whom it belonged would still be alive. If they "harvest them while they are alive then they can be transported and re-installed in a new body. You need to read up on how organ donation works. My daughter refused to sign an organ donor card because she was afraid that if she did they might take her organs before they were sure she was actually brain dead. Yes, she saw the movie, "Coma".

actually the dead persons organs still can be used but the brain dies really quickly and you would need a replacement for the organ that caused death and it would take two long to get a replacement and put it in but if the body is put on ice and you would get some replacement parts for it it could still run but its more trouble than its worth, that's why eccentric rich people freeze themselves till science is ready to fix them, because in normal circumstance you would need to work really fast

A brain dead person doesn't know anything, they're dead. He's now the identity of the person who's head was installed on the body.

Are you serious?

You obviously dont watch too many horror movies :P Have a little imagination!

• Like 1