Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Martial Arts!

Podo

Wanderlei one of my favorite fighters ever!!!I have watched one of his vale tudo fights that was absolutely brutal,fought with damn near half his face hanging off!Hell you might have posted it gotta watch now lol

Wasnt the one i mentioned but is funny seeing Pedro Rizo as a ref though,also a bad mofo!

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 1

don't think it was that one no but i think i recall that fight just don't remember if it was in a ring or not.

kind of why i prefer boxing too, getting kneed in the ribs and face just isnt too appealing to me lol i can handle a punch but christ those knees make me shudder.

edit: to your edit crimson pedro has some NAAAASTY leg kicks back in the day i still remember him destroying severns knee tumblr_mcf5l3ZiRP1ry1rm7o1_250.gif Edited by Iron_Lotus
  • Like 1

don't think it was that one no but i think i recall that fight just don't remember if it was in a ring or not.

kind of why i prefer boxing too, getting kneed in the ribs and face just isnt too appealing to me lol i can handle a punch but christ those knees make me shudder.

Yeah boxing is my favorite aswell,just part of who i am if that makes any sense..

Got a nice scar or 2 from damn knees,felt real nice :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

my lips are scarred up from splits and glue lmao

edit: note to kids, go to doctors and get stitches and heal properly don't glue your cuts closed it's not worth it, unless you screwed up big time and have to hide the cut lol

Edited by Iron_Lotus
  • Like 2

They are saying tuesday will be decision day for Aldo,getting tired of canceled main events...Plus i really want to see that fight!!!

• Like 1

They are saying tuesday will be decision day for Aldo,getting tired of canceled main events...Plus i really want to see that fight!!!

im over it right now if he shows up for the weigh ins cool im all for lawler right now and still gutted he's getting NO promotion. hope aldo pulls out and mendes smashes connor just so i can laugh at the gigantic karmic f u to dana white.

• Like 1

I would laugh aswell,i'm the same way about lawler i just dont get it...

He got big back in the day when B J Penn was the next big thing,years go by BJ was promoted like hell while i screamed he was massively overrated while lawler gets nothing WTF...

i have not once ever seen any regular joe walk in off the street and do that ever, and i would be willing to bet everything i have that no regular joe is going to walk into any legit judo place and toss around a blackbelt judoka just cause he's "strong like bull" not going to happen.

I have seen it. I won't push because then we'll just get into whether or not I've been in legit gyms. And yeah, I exaggerated a little saying the physically gifted newcomers tossed them like ragdolls, but the extra power pretty much muted the offense of the more skilled fighters. My point, though, was that the purpose of martial arts is to make up for physical prowess, so a more athletic person can perform on par with a more experienced fighter.

there are no advantages to chi or magic because they doesn't exist.

Yeah, that's why I said training those styles might not convey the advantages (of course, they might - some of those styles just have a patina of magic added to traditional arts while others are pure mysticism BS).

just no to all of that i will start with the guy telling fairy tales about people dying from palm thrusts to the nose http://www.fightinga...icle.php?id=511 i suggest you read that. as for the touch of death more bullshido and more fake kung fu crap that is an absolute farce and waste of time.

Dude, what's your deal? Did I endorse the idea that a palm thrust to the face kills you (that you would feel the need to link an article to "educate" me)? I believe my posts pretty clearly lean in the direction of practicality over mysticism or tradition. Anyway, death touch is a real thing but it's a helluva lot more than a touch and not very likely to result in death (though it's possible). While I appreciate the condescension, I don't see how it invalidates my point that the magic "kill with a look moves" are impossible to test and muddy up the water of martial arts for that very reason. Since you can't practice a move that supposedly kills a roomful of people at once, you can't get rid of the mythology (even to the extent that professional military instructors apparently believe it).

if all you are concerned with is defending yourself and dealing with confrontation take some self defense classes because you have no desire to learn the discipline and art fully. there's nothing wrong with that but don't bother taking bjj if all you want to know is a rear naked choke, don't take judo if all you ever want to know is a hip toss, don't take boxing if all you want to know is learn a decent 1-2, that's my opinion though because i would never bother training someone who wasn't there to learn the art as a whole. i would actually tell someone to leave the gym if they came in with that mindset and attitude.

Agreed. Learning the art as entirely as possible conditions the fighter to suffer the weakness of that art. If someone truly wanted to become as effective a fighter as possible, he'd be best off not handcuffing himself to a particular style and simply taking the effective tools from a few. You're so right - learn an art as a hobby, take some techniques from several to be an effective fighter. Weird, that's almost like what I said in the first place.

Also Bruce Lee developed JKD as an anything goes type style,keep what works throw away the rest.Modern JKD studios have made it a "style"...His idea for it was more along the lines of vale tudo...

Yeah, he was a real martial artist. He was all about doing what works. What he envisioned with JKD was exactly what I'm saying, give yourself a few effective tools and be aware of what situation each is best suited for to be the most effective fighter possible.

One of the most eye opening moments of my childhood was reading his book and learning that a real fight doesn't have rules or etiquette. It really had an impact on how I trained martial arts and my personal philosophies on the subject.

I have seen it. I won't push because then we'll just get into whether or not I've been in legit gyms. And yeah, I exaggerated a little saying the physically gifted newcomers tossed them like ragdolls, but the extra power pretty much muted the offense of the more skilled fighters. My point, though, was that the purpose of martial arts is to make up for physical prowess, so a more athletic person can perform on par with a more experienced fighter.

then those are some pretty ****ty blackbelts. regardless of your exaggerations, which are pretty unnecessary here. i still think you're spouting off bull**** but whatever.

Dude, what's your deal? Did I endorse the idea that a palm thrust to the face kills you (that you would feel the need to link an article to "educate" me)? I believe my posts pretty clearly lean in the direction of practicality over mysticism or tradition. Anyway, death touch is a real thing but it's a helluva lot more than a touch and not very likely to result in death (though it's possible). While I appreciate the condescension, I don't see how it invalidates my point that the magic "kill with a look moves" are impossible to test and muddy up the water of martial arts for that very reason. Since you can't practice a move that supposedly kills a roomful of people at once, you can't get rid of the mythology (even to the extent that professional military instructors apparently believe it).

i simply said you should read the article, and said whomever you heard these stories from were spouting off fairy tales and if by chance you happened to believe it the link would inform you of how utterly stupid the idea is of small bone fragments entering the brain from your nose is. im not even going to bother with the death touch bs so yeah it's "real"

Agreed. Learning the art as entirely as possible conditions the fighter to suffer the weakness of that art. If someone truly wanted to become as effective a fighter as possible, he'd be best off not handcuffing himself to a particular style and simply taking the effective tools from a few. You're so right - learn an art as a hobby, take some techniques from several to be an effective fighter. Weird, that's almost like what I said in the first place.

good for you im glad you got that worked out for yourself :tu:

Edited by Iron_Lotus

Benny the Jet Urquidiz was the man

• Like 1

Ong Bak best fights

I like the boxing focus in a martial arts thread :)

busy ... gotta bolt, hope to catch up later.

• Like 1

joe rogans got a pretty sick side kick lol love him or hate him of course :P

i was taught to step on toes in boxing if i have you close and i want to work you inside but you keep slipping out and circling i step on your toes as you step out which makes the other have to reset or lose his footing, usually you slip a hook as he's moving in and drive a straight to the chin if you get him off balance they tend to go down from that set up as long as you make it look unintentional of course :innocent: of course if you're orthodox and fighting a southpaw both of you naturally tend to step on each others toes without actually meaning too.

Unintentional ??? because of the boxing match rules, is that what you mean ? That's thing with 'sports martial arts' ....

Rules ??? ... In a knife fight ???

here is another oldie ( but a goodie ) ... I cant believe people still fall for it

"So, you want to fight me right here and now ... with that policeman over there watching us. "

<turns to look > wack ! ... still do it at training ; "look at that Kookaburra" ... now people just laugh ... new people; 'What's all this kookaburra stuff ?" :innocent:

lol training on floating logs sounds badass enough i believe it :D

220px-Deborder1.jpg

yeah, that looks like it .

so kind of like that in the second figure? pretty sure it's just a check hook, basically a step in hook without the step in your opponent does it for you basically, good punch and if you're up against a heavier guy you can drop them like a bag of ****.

why i have never really bothered with karate and all that stuff seems like every gym is just a mcdojo with trainers who are poorly qualified and are not there to teach you everything they know. my brother took karate, they never spared, all they did was drill their forms or whatever and punch and kick air for a year A YEAR!! too busy trying to impress and teach people how to break pine boards, it's come a long way though in the last while with mma exploding lots of mcdojo's died out and theres some really good schools around the country now training in all kinds of ****.

:yes:

Mr Nishihira never had a dojo or a sign or anything , yet 'experts' came from all over the world to train with him. he didnt wera a uniform either ( maybe once or twice for a group photo. he would train in a white singlet and roll the legs of his slacks up. People would ask if they should put the uniform on for training , he would say 'If you want to '. Once a guy asked him what belt he had, he looked down at his slacks : Brown leather today " :)

But please dont mock American karate and McDojo ... without them we would never have this ( you are gonna love this guy if you never met before )

one big difference between karate guys and boxers we spar ten times more and we spar %100 we don't pitter patter our punches we put them through you, most of us are used to getting hit in the face and body so we can take and walk into a few if need be to feed em you could see him get scared the second he took a clean shot like "oh **** wtf am i doing" immediately tenses and tightens his body up which locks him up and slows his reaction down so seeing that hand wavy bouncing around crap makes my blood start pumping and im glad he ate some really good shots there. i hope he was embarrassed of himself.

Yep . I am fully aware I am not a 'fighter' , if it happens it has to be over very quickly or I am ****ed. Teacher used to punish me a bit "If you are going to learn a technique, you have to know what oit feels like when it is done to your first " ... well, okay, either that or sadism.

he broke my shoulder once .... I got him back though ... twice actually ... one was a classic and in a public demo too :)

This is really weird. I used to train with the KM Israeli guy - ex army, and another ( Aust army paratrooper ) we would start by 'Punch me" ... harder ... harder ... okay, thats about the level ' then they would do it when I hit them. So we were good with it (not on pressure points or nuts eyes throat etc though ) and people would freak out because we were hitting each other ... wtf with that ???

As a lad we used to do sit ups from zazen ( sitting with on the lower legs and feet ) with someone holding the knees down , v.good for strong stomach and chest ... and wham each other in the body to see how much we could take .... when I was young :whistle:

edit: the other pic wouldn't work so i had to use that one although its not the best the other one the foot placement was where it was suppose to be lead foot pointing at your opponent as he is coming in this ones kind of reversed a bit god damnit, too tired to keep ripping through google images.

No, I get you ... ohh alarm went off, gotta split again ... my anchovies spinach and capsicum pizza is ready :-*

• Like 1

i'll get back to the rest later im about to retire for the night but stepping on toes isn't against the rules per se but it's something a ref will b**** about if you do it too often and tell you to watch your feet theres i think 12 fouls in boxing* but each is kind of really up to whos reffing really theres no shoving or pushing but you can shove or push breaking out of clinches and not be warned i think the first rule for fouls is no showboating... lol people dont get called on much and most people know how to skirt and work around certain rules for their advantage, technically i cant use the ropes leaning on them and so on but how many people still today rope a dope?

now in a real fight i would never step on someones toes no reason to be that close ever and if he were i got a pretty hard head and i know it dont feel good when it hits an orbital plus im canadian we jersey you and uppercut you to death.

edit: a whole bunch of minor rules too approved ring gear things like that blah blah blahbsleep

Edited by Iron_Lotus
  • Like 1

There is no magical "system" of martial arts. The techniques of virtually every art are effective against people who don't expect those techniques. For those who are familiar with the style and do expect the techniques, 90+ percent of the time the winner is going to be determined like any other physical confrontation - by which guy is physically superior.

Anyone who has taken Judo or Jujitsu classes has seen someone walk in off the street with no knowledge (but happen to be strong-like-bull) and toss black belts around like ragdolls (until/unless they manage to take advantage of his ignorance of the techniques). Anyone who has been at a serious boxing gym has seen someone walk in off the street who naturally has fast hands and plenty of pop in them knock experienced boxers down.

There are 3 real advantages to studying any martial art (except maybe the magic, chi ones):

Better physical fitness. Since a confrontation between 2 equally knowledgeable fighters will almost always end up in favor of the superior athlete, being in better shape improves the odds.

Knowing techniques that the opponent may not. Again, this is a true advantage. You slam a guy on his back and lean over to punch him in the face, if you don't see it coming someone will be explaining a triangle choke to you after you wake up.

Most importantly of all, they teach situational awareness. The self-service dentist from the stories above is far and away the exception. Watch street fight videos - the guy who wins is almost always the guy who lands the first good shot. A sucker punch or headbutt from one guy to another (who doesn't realize the fight is actually happening yet) usually ends the question of which guy is going to win a fight.

The problem with assessing the effectiveness of martial arts is that they are either designed as a competition within certain rules or the moves are impossible to practice. That triangle choke I mentioned earlier is less effective in a real fight where someone is willing to crush a testicle with his teeth. The death touch isn't really something you can practice so it's tough to say it really works (one of the most interesting arguments I've ever seen was between a guy who insisted his combat instructor in basic training had seen a man killed with a quick, light palm thrust to the nose and another guy who kept asking why no boxer in history has instantly died from bone fragments shoved into his brain by an uppercut that landed just so).

Anyway, in my opinion, if you want to start a hobby that could help you defend yourself, pick an art that works well with your physical gifts (a slow guy with poor reflexes and balance would not be an effective fighter using JKD) and think of it like playing basketball at the Y with the possible side effect of making you more capable of surviving a confrontation.

If you want to maximize your chances of surviving a confrontation, don't bother with the sport aspects of martial arts. Practice a few individual techniques that can work in a variety of situations and make it a point to be aware of what's going on around you. Between that and staying in good shape, you'll be as prepared as practically possible.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not saying martial are all BS or useless, just that most people drastically overestimate how effective a "system" can be in a real fight without rules preventing an enemy from exploiting the weakness of the system.

yep, that all agrees with what I have learnt :tu: .

'Rules' are one of the big draw backs ; cant kick to the nuts ? Cant flick the eyeball ?

'Real style Okinawan fighting was to be used three ways; when your mates are mucking around and try to best you - be nice! In a fight - protect yourself from harm but also litigation . In a situation when your life and/or family is threatened . - like an ice fuelled home invasion - all stops out !

( ETA - when your home gets invaded I meant ... ooops :-* )

Thats also , why the weapons thing ( and training against a weapon ). I live rurally and three times I have seen people that loose it, grab the nearest agricultural or mechanical tool at hand. .... people loose it and do crazy **** !

Oh yeah ... and as an extension to sam's post ... whatever you do folks, dont try your commonly taught 'defence against a knife ' in a real situation !

:no:

'In dojo'

:yes:

'In street'

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

Just noticed this thread earlier,nice to see someone started this!

My background

Started boxing around 9-ammy record 64-7

Started jiu-jitsu at 19 Purple belt -been told i could lvl up now but stopped caring about belt lvls long ago,practicing jiu jitsu for MMA is much different than competition jiu-jitsu gi or no gi.

Wrestled through most of high school won state

MMA started around 21 14-4MMA/boxing coach 3 years

Never trained with weapons atleast not martial arts weapons guns,throwing knives,bow and arrows...

I can see we are going to have some fun in this thread lol...

Have a massive headache at the moment but be back to discuss tomorrow,thanks for bringing

my attention to this thread Lotus :tu:

Did you say throwing :)

Knives or tomahawks , $5 a hit ( chest or head shot on the dead tree over there that looks like a man ... I won a bit there :) ... but that's what I used to practice on ;)

Dont do projectile weapons as such ... but played with one of these for a while

Wushu-Rope-Dart.jpg

fun ... complex! ... never seen a good vid of the use (except in Wushu 'theatre' ) based on what would come up if used 'practically' ... a very interesting weapon, in complexity of use and history. A 'retrievable projectile' .

• Like 1

i have not once ever seen any regular joe walk in off the street and do that ever, and i would be willing to bet everything i have that no regular joe is going to walk into any legit judo place and toss around a blackbelt judoka just cause he's "strong like bull" not going to happen.

Oh yeah ... I must have missed that bit, no, I dont agree with that if legit and good Jodoki I mean legit !

<p>http://www.youtube.com/watch%

• Like 1

Oh yeah ... I must have missed that bit, no, I dont agree with that if legit and good Jodoki I mean legit !

<p>http://www.youtube.com/watch%

I think i have a good idea of what sam was speaking of.

At our gym i always tell everyone when someone new comes in,take it easy on them at first.

It's not good for business to start beating the hell out of an untrained newbie ,9 times out of 10 they wont come back and you get a rep as "that kind of gym".

Some guys come in with the "tough guy,i'm going to show these people i dont need training to whoop ass attitude" and start out going as hard as they can on someone who has been told to not go hard.I have seen that happen many times,from my experience that second round always goes very badly for "that" guy :lol:

• Like 1

Oh yeah ... and as an extension to sam's post ... whatever you do folks, dont try your commonly taught 'defence against a knife ' in a real situation !

:no:

'In dojo'

Yeah, I often think the demonstrations like in the video do way more harm than good for the guys involved. While most don't lay down on purpose, they get conditioned to "sell" the techniques. The choreography can be pretty cool, but usually doesn't account for someone kneeing the guy in the jewels or elbowing him in the face instead of passively following his wrist to the ground.

I think i have a good idea of what sam was speaking of.

At our gym i always tell everyone when someone new comes in,take it easy on them at first.

It's not good for business to start beating the hell out of an untrained newbie ,9 times out of 10 they wont come back and you get a rep as "that kind of gym".

Some guys come in with the "tough guy,i'm going to show these people i dont need training to whoop ass attitude" and start out going as hard as they can on someone who has been told to not go hard.I have seen that happen many times,from my experience that second round always goes very badly for "that" guy :lol:

Nah, I'll tell you about the first time I ever encountered Jujitsu:

The gym wasn't the "everyone sit cross-legged and watch the instructor demonstrate moves then spend the rest of the session practicing the moves you saw", it was the (IMO more effective) type where they had you roll with someone then tell you what you did wrong and show you what to do instead. Since it was my first time, one of the instructors rolled with me as an assessment (I don't know what the guy was ranked, but he was one of the owners).

This particular guy was Vietnamese and about 5'4" and a buck 20 soaking wet (with a pocket full of change). I'm 5'10" and 200 and far stronger than I look (in college, some of the players on the football team called me the master of disguise because I'm a 6'4", 240 guy disguised as 5'10" and 200).

My only experience grappling to that point was high school wrestling and this guy was so slick and the techniques so different that it was like trying to wrestle a freaking otter. Here's the thing, though, he couldn't put me in a solid sub. He could take my back and throw on a RNC and I could just peel him off. He could grab my wrist and hip into me, but didn't have the strength to straighten my arm.

After several minutes of this, he got one of the students who was about my size and closer to my physical strength and that guy could submit me, in spite of not being nearly as technically skilled as the instructor.

Believing that a theoretically skilled guy who can't do anything with someone far superior physically is really not skilled is as silly as believing you can make a chi shield so no one can hurt you with a punch.

In striking arts, the athleticism issue is even bigger. Take a guy who is physically average but knows everything about boxing technique and pit him against someone with more reach who is faster and hits harder and has better reflexes but has no real boxing experience and there's a pretty good chance the master of the sweet science is going to lose. At the very least, it's almost certainly not going to be a one sided victory due to the superior technique.

My point here is that a person's effectiveness as a fighter is his technique + the physical gifts he brings to the table. For a superior athlete, it takes very little technique to even the playing field against a more skilled but less athletic opponent (mostly teaching him not to make the obvious mistakes).

• Like 1