Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby Born Without A Face

Diebytheflyguy

By Jeannie Blaylock

First Coast News

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- When most parents have a baby, they spend months dreaming about what their bundle of joy will look like. Will she look like mom? Will he have dad's eyes? But for one local Navy family, the birth of their daughter didn't give them the answers to those questions. Their daughter was born without a face.

When Tammy ___ was pregnant, she knew something was wrong. At worst, they thought maybe their baby had a cleft lip.

So Tammy, and her husband Tom, went to the hospital happy, until the birth.

"The nurse is like, 'We got her stable, we need to rush her upstairs,'" explains Tom, as he recalls every minute of that day. "And the nurse asked, 'Do you want your wife to see her now?'"

Tom says he thought to himself, "Before she gets the shock I did, let me take a picture so she's prepared."

Tammy hadn't seen her new baby yet, because she almost bled to death during delivery. Tammy would be okay, meanwhile, dad went to take pictures of his new daughter.

But no matter what, these new parents had a wish. "That if there was something wrong, she wouldn't be alone. We wanted to make sure she felt loved," said Tom, as he began to cry. "She squeezed my hand."

Little Juliana is missing 30 - 40 percent of the bones in her face.

"She has no upper jaw, no cheek bones, no eye sockets, and she's missing the corner of her ear," explains Tom.

Her birth defect is called Treacher Collins Syndrome. Doctors say it's the worst case they've ever seen.

So, how do you get people to see past all the defects, and find her heart? For mom, it just hurts.

"I just wish people would ask questions. Don't just stare," says Tammy. "I guess the most hurtful thing came not long ago, a little girl said she was disgusting."

Juliana has to eat through her stomach, and she has a trach to breathe. Already, less than two years into her life, she's had 14 surgeries. Doctors say she could need at least 30 more.

Every time she goes to the hospital, doctors make a mold of her head, and then reconstruct her skull to figure out the next step.

It's a life-long process that's draining for Tammy and Tom. Even still, they're thankful and full of love for their sweet child.

"God never gives you more than you can handle. I figure she has a lot to show everyone... to show the world," says Tom. Source.

Thats just weird.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Art Vandelay

• whoa182

• HolyDevil2053

• JennRose

That's so sad. I hope that eventually they'll be able to reconstruct her face and give her an actual life.

That is really sad. I haven't seen any pictures and have nn idea if surgery is going to be able to help the matter much.

I know that surgeons who specialize in deformities like cleft lips are able to work wonders now, where kids have little if any scarring and have completely normal appearences. I can only hope that this little baby has the potential for reconstructive surgery.

At best she is still looking at dozens of surgeries over her childhood to try to fix problems of that level. crying.gif

That's just very sad, man...

crying.gif At least she has loving parents who are willing to do anything for her and love her no matter what. I hope she can have most of the surgeries before she's old enough to remember most of them. sad.gif

crying.gif At least she has loving parents who are willing to do anything for her and love her no matter what. I hope she can have most of the surgeries before she's old enough to remember most of them. sad.gif

373585[/snapback]

Agreed, some parents would've just thrown her out for adoption......

It is very sad indeed-

I actually saw on a tv show about a man that had a similar thing, where his nose, and upper mouth area were completely gone- and they were able to do that reconstruction surgery...

But the magnitude of the baby's situation is so extreme, I wonder how they do this in that situation...and to go thru so many surgeries at so young has got to be extremely painful and expensive...I feel just so sad for the family and the baby as well...

A comment from earlier about the praise to the parents for sticking thru it- I second that!

But the magnitude of the baby's situation is so extreme, I wonder how they do this in that situation...and to go thru so many surgeries at so young has got to be extremely painful and expensive

373606[/snapback]

I don't know much about reconstructive surgery, but as this kid 'grows up' won't they have to keep doing the surgeries until she's fully developed into an adult? huh.gif

I would imagine so-

Until adult probably...they would have to make sure the whole area is sealed to prevent infections and stuff like that...and as the child grows, they would have to adjust the "face"

It's a wonder the ultrasound didn't pick up how severe her facial deformity was. I just praise the parents strength and hope the doctors will be able to help the little girl some more.

I've never heard of anything like that. But I heard a weird story last year in health. This baby was still in the womb and had spinabifiea and the doctors had to make all these special instruments to fix it. Well when they took the woman's uterus out and made the incision they were going to work through, the baby's hand popped out and grabbed the doctor's finger. I don't know where on the web the picture is, but there is one.

It's a wonder the ultrasound didn't pick up how severe her facial deformity was. I just praise the parents strength and hope the doctors will be able to help the little girl some more.

374128[/snapback]

I agree that is odd...if they knew something was wrong, but thought it only a cleft lip. I know that ultra-sounds are very sensitive now and can see a lot of detail.

I fear the docotr's ability to help with this situation. If the baby was born with no eye-sockets, then I assume she has no eyes. Ugh...that's just awful... sad.gif

I bet the couple must have thought or done something really wrong in their life for the universal justice to punish in such a way.

Or more believable is that maybe the woman did things she was not supposed to while pregnant. Deformities do not just happen randomly and for no reason. Every action has a consequence.

I bet the couple must have thought or done something really wrong in their life for the universal justice to punish in such a way.

Or more believable is that maybe the woman did things she was not supposed to while pregnant. Deformities do not just happen randomly and for no reason. Every action has a consequence.

375133[/snapback]

Athenian, I don't care If I'm insta-banned from this site for flaming but I have to say this is the dumbest sh** I've ever heard from anybody here in these forums........I think you really need to step-down from your high horse and take a solid look at 'reality'.....

*Still shaking head*...no words....

What ignorance.

Deformities sometimes DO just happen. You think the parents of every child with a deformity or a disease did something wrong? I simply can't wait until *you* have kids, then.

It is reality. You think deformities, mutations, cancers etc... All just happen? As if magic or poof out of nowhere? Do you know how many retarded children have came from irresponsible parents who probably took some drugs, medication, or substance they were not supposed to during pregnancy?! Humanity is destroying itself and its environment! Especially in these times! Stronger Mutated Bacteria and Parasites, Pollution, Radiation, Toxic and Chemical waste is skyrocketing! Everything is being dirtied! Polluted forever! Almost every ancient culture still alive today states that during the time of end and corruption there will be many deformed children. This is just proof of humanity's situation worsening! You think God plans this kind of sh** for laughs or a kick?! God wants us to be happy and healthy as long as we do not lose our way, ignore the teachings of our ancestors, or become corrupt!

It all depends on your path and mind.

Everything goes smoothly when you do the right thing.

Sorry if I have offended. dontgetit.gif

Edited by Athenian

Ok Athenian, one word - bull****. How dare you even suggest that in EVERY SINGLE CASE that not only defoprmaties but sicknessness are deserved, and worst of all you're saying GOD is doing this on purpose??? No, DEMONS CREATE SICKNESS. Go read the FULL version of Solomon.

Anyway, that aside, that's still just a dumb, sick and really OFF thing to say.

You know, it's people like you who make God sound like some sort of monster. Think about it.

It is very sad though, and I do hope that they can help with surgery, and hopefully she won't be emotionally scarred by the whole thing.