Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quote A Book

She-ra

Here's the fun and games: Find the closest book to you and open it to a page - this can be either a book you're reading now or any random book near you - open the book and type a sentence (or 2 or 3) from whatever page you open it to. You also can write any sentences that you find profound or just want to remember. Okay, 1-2-3- Go!

I will start.

Outlander, page 18

A temple. A burial ground. An astronomical observatory, A place of execution (hence the inaptly named "Slaughter Stone" that lies to one side, half sunk in its own pit). An open-air market. I liked this last suggestion, visualizing Megalithic housewives scrolling between the lintels, baskets on their arms, critically judging the glaze on the latest shipment of red-clay beakers and listening skeptically to the claims of stone-age bakers and vendors of deer-bone shovels and amber beads.
  • Like 6

Great Idea for a thread Shera! Now I need to go find some of my books! :tsu:

• Like 2

yeah, this could be fun!

closest book is pogo: through the wild blue wonder. pg 75.

"stop complainin' - you gotta wear a top hat. duels is formal! otherwise society cuts you dead."

does it work as well with comics? not sure.

• Like 3

yeah, this could be fun!

closest book is pogo: through the wild blue wonder. pg 75.

does it work as well with comics? not sure.

Absolutely! Perfect. Thanks for playing :lol:
  • Like 1

From Mosby's Medical dictionary:

What?....it's the only thing I have handy right now! LOL!

"Horsetail: A perennial herb known as pteridophyte, found throughout the world."

• Like 4

It's like singing mexican army songs with a black checker caught in one's throat.

I Smell Esther Williams, Mark Leyner, p 39

Ms. Eggnog left me a note: "Dear Mark, Go **** yourself. I can't stand it anymore. They're lulling us into a false sense of security about radioactivity"

I Smell Esther Williams, Mark Leyner, p 78

......just look around, we don't have much time, the night is a map with pins in it, the yokels are washing their children against rocks at the stream and refusing to send their laundry to public school.

I Smell Esther Williams, Mark Leyner p 35

I admit the owner's appearance kind of spooked me at first, but he seems like a regular Joe, once you get past the shaved pate and crudely stitched head wound. After we conquer the world, maybe we should mark rhis place as an official across-rated rest and recuperation site. We could have, y'know, a little guidebook one to five stars, say if they take pets......

Excel Sage, v5, Rikdo Koshi

• Like 1

I am currently reading a history book about the middle ages. The next chapter I am about to read starts

"Byzans, der atter var kommet til kræfter, havde ikke glemt de områder de havde mistet til Bulgarien"

from Verdens historie - Europas fødsel

You never said it had to be English. :P

Won't work with the kind of books I read.. :whistle:

Is it what is known as "gentlemans special interest literature" ?

I thought that mainly came in magazine format !

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

PC is in the kitchen so nearest is a cookbook:

Finally, use red gel icing to create the "bloodshot" look. These cake balls should not have partied so hard last night.

• Like 3

You never said it had to be English. :P

That's fine by me :) I thought it would be nice to have a place to jot down certain things you like to read in books too. :yes: It's a nice place to come back and read the stuff you liked from the book. Or, it can just be random. Whatever you choose :tu:

Edited by She-ra

I'm at work with a distinct shortage of books... in fact, the only one I see is an appliance manual. Here is the most philosphical quote I could find:

"Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the unit."

Yeah... that'll work... :w00t:

• Like 3

Today's book quote.

Outlander, page 51

I looked back at the rock to check my position, then ahead to the skyline, and my blood ran cold. There was nothing there but the feathered needles of pine trees, impenetrably black against the spread of stars. Where were the lights of Inverness? If that was Cocknammon Rock behind me, as I knew it was, then Inverness must be less than three miles to the southwest. At this distance, I should be able to see the glow of the town against the sky. If it was there.

This is such a great book. Off to read more now :tu:

"We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes. But its beauty can burn in our hearts eternally."

from one of R.A. Salvatore's "The Legend of Drizzt" books.

• Like 2

cookbooks can be fun

from garde manger: the art and craft of the cold kitchen

5. stir in the rest of the diced fatback, the apples, panada, and seasoned blood

blood sausage with apples, you know. but what really made me notice it was misreading "panada" as "panda", and thinking man, this recipe is old school.

• Like 2

Outlander, page 135 (I'm further ahead in the book now but I loved "the Oath-taking" chapter):

I swear by the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by the holy iron that I hold, to give ye my fealty and pledge ye my loyalty to the name of the clan MacKenzie. If ever my hand shall be raised against ye in rebellion, I ask that this holy iron shall pierce my heart.

He lowered the dirk, kissed it at the juncture of haft and tang, and thrust it home in its sheath. Still kneeling, he offered both hands clasped to Colum, who took them between his own and lifted them to his lips in acceptance of the oath so offered. Then he raised Dougal to his feet.

• Like 1

You'd ditch your life, to stay alive to be back on boogie street.

• Like 2

Oh wow, I just got how this game is supposed to be played. :P Sorry about that.

.."just consider; if such a one should go down again and sit on his old seat, would he not get his eyes full of darkness coming in suddenly out of the sun?"

-page 369, The Great Dialogues of Plato

Edited by WolvenHeart7
  • Like 3

Oh wow, I just got how this game is supposed to be played. :P Sorry about that.

.."just consider; if such a one should go down again and sit on his old seat, would he not get his eyes full of darkness coming in suddenly out of the sun?"

-page 369, The Great Dialogues of Plato

It can be done any way you prefer :yes: It's just quotes from books you like OR the fun part of it is opening a random book near you to a page and type the first sentence your eye goes to...either way is fine. Sometimes I like to type in specific quotes that are cool or powerful. Anything goes my dear friend!!

I came here today to quote Chapter 19, pages 256-258. This chapter is titled "The Waterhorse" and it tells the legend of the Kelpie. How cool!!! I never knew about this legend. Here's more information on what this is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

I love that I learned this today :tu:

• Like 3

It can be done any way you prefer :yes: It's just quotes from books you like OR the fun part of it is opening a random book near you to a page and type the first sentence your eye goes to...either way is fine. Sometimes I like to type in specific quotes that are cool or powerful. Anything goes my dear friend!!

I came here today to quote Chapter 19, pages 256-258. This chapter is titled "The Waterhorse" and it tells the legend of the Kelpie. How cool!!! I never knew about this legend. Here's more information on what this is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

I love that I learned this today :tu:

Okay :clap: Sounds good to me.

I love that legend, it's a wonderful read. Thanks for the link. :tu:

“Truth is a risky proposition. It's the nature of mediocre human beings to believe that lies are necessary, that they serve a purpose, that truth is subversive, that candor is dangerous, that the very scaffold of communal life is supported by lies.”

-Anne Rice, "The Wolf Gift-

• Like 3

anything relevant by Hilaire Belloc - been poring over my little collection to find just that sentence, to pass along here, but couldn't settle on one or the other, but will keep trying.... check out his delightful thought processes

and She-Ra, you have just reminded me of a precious, little Made-In-Ireland figurine that I gave my dear mother, bless her soul, on her birthday, years ago: a Kelpie! (the myth, not the breed of dog) in fine china, hand-painted, in muted, but bright colors, with it's (classically) upturned, mermaidy tail open, to create a small vase - shall try to find a pic of same to post - but I instantly adopted the image of one for my avatar : so meaningful to me, in so many ways, which I had not thought of, for so long..... still recall the importance my mother placed in that wee piece... she was not even Irish - or Celtic - though her husband - my father - certainly was....

and I have you to thank for reminding me of that!

• Like 3

this is both from a book that is near me, and a favorite quote!

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist; a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain."

ursula le guin, one of my favorite, favorite authors.

• Like 3

anything relevant by Hilaire Belloc - been poring over my little collection to find just that sentence, to pass along here, but couldn't settle on one or the other, but will keep trying.... check out his delightful thought processes

and She-Ra, you have just reminded me of a precious, little Made-In-Ireland figurine that I gave my dear mother, bless her soul, on her birthday, years ago: a Kelpie! (the myth, not the breed of dog) in fine china, hand-painted, in muted, but bright colors, with it's (classically) upturned, mermaidy tail open, to create a small vase - shall try to find a pic of same to post - but I instantly adopted the image of one for my avatar : so meaningful to me, in so many ways, which I had not thought of, for so long..... still recall the importance my mother placed in that wee piece... she was not even Irish - or Celtic - though her husband - my father - certainly was....

and I have you to thank for reminding me of that!

Awe Bless. Both of my parents are passed away so I'm glad my post reminded you of something wonderful about your mother. I hold all my memories close to my heart as I'm sure you do too. Thanks for sharing.
  • Like 1