Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Technology progressing to live to 1000 years

Ozfactor

Can I please please please jump in here. I just joined because I have heard these arguments against for decades.

Growing sick and infirmed and losing life, from aging is not good. Aging itself is infact a disease causing all other diseases not related to bacteria, virus, mold, or outside poisons such as radiation.

For those who worry about population don't. Death will still be king from accidents, and for other reasons. Biologically immorttal means you don't die from aging.

Alzheimers, arthritis and the rest are the result of aging, so you can not have those and live a very long time. Young and biologically immortal does not mean you would get stupid again, like in the beginning of life. Some things need to be relearned from time to time regardless of lifespan, but over all we don't like pain and remember it well. And the wisdom at 500 will probably be much greater than at 50, that we can use and share.

Only for the rich. No money in that, so don't look for it only for the rich, though some of the brightest rich are pouring money into it currently, and want results and not promises. Some may be heading outisde the US now, as they have done before, to be the first to try this. They are use to taking chances and with time running out......

This is all about health, and the byproduct of perfect health is long life. Those in perfect health both mentally and physically very seldom want to end anytime soon. The idea aging is universal is also a myth. Some species age, while others don't. None have over populated the world nor been known to commit suicide.

So what happens to social security?? Well it doesn't go broke, because everyone goes back to achieving again and contributing instead of drawing, with their young mind and bodies. Of course at that point it ends, and besides who says any country will last that long, just looking at past history.

It is a huge financial windfall for the whole, though medical and drug and insrance companies, for the most part will fall. Just as new tech is taking out oil, and gas, and coal on power. Power tomorrow will be essentially abundant and almost free, and thanks to things like graphene. The same for clean water and even beating most diseases. Even wars may become impossible and this is all moving very fast, from labs to shelves and is not decades away.

None of the ideas against solving the aging problem/disease ever made a bit of sense to me, when looked at closely. Thanks for letting me air my thought on this.

Welcome! Thanks for posting, you make some good points.

I think out of all of our concerns, overpopulation is the least. I agree that downward pressure will be put on reproduction. Having several children not only helps guaranty that some of them will survive, it also helps ensure your survival as you age. If the insecurity of aging is relieved, investing in children will become less of a priority.

As for the wealth, it's not just big pharma that should be considered. If only a percentage of people (pick a number 5%, 10%, 50%) are able to procure this longevity it will create at least two new classes of humans. By necessity, wealth distribution will undergo a huge transformation. If I know statistically I will live until I'm 500, then I will think about acquisition of wealth in 50 or 100 year time frames vs someone who will only live 60 or 70 years and has only a 40 year window to acquire their entire life's wealth. How will that change banking, the stock market, international trade, etc, etc?

This may be the next logical step in human evolution but it won't be without it's growing pains.

Cheers

Aubrey looks like a prime specimen to go the distance with his baggy eyes and a nest for fleas hanging off his chin,what will he look like when he's 50.

At 1000 yrs old you will look like a very dried walking prune with everything saggy and have a crinkly bottom, No Thankyou.

Welcome! Thanks for posting, you make some good points.

I think out of all of our concerns, overpopulation is the least. I agree that downward pressure will be put on reproduction. Having several children not only helps guaranty that some of them will survive, it also helps ensure your survival as you age. If the insecurity of aging is relieved, investing in children will become less of a priority.

As for the wealth, it's not just big pharma that should be considered. If only a percentage of people (pick a number 5%, 10%, 50%) are able to procure this longevity it will create at least two new classes of humans. By necessity, wealth distribution will undergo a huge transformation. If I know statistically I will live until I'm 500, then I will think about acquisition of wealth in 50 or 100 year time frames vs someone who will only live 60 or 70 years and has only a 40 year window to acquire their entire life's wealth. How will that change banking, the stock market, international trade, etc, etc?

This may be the next logical step in human evolution but it won't be without it's growing pains.

Cheers

I see lot of growing pains such as as some of "the future shock" seen in some of the posts here, as they discovered what soon will be reality it looks like. It is not just on health either, and will be rather a very science fiction world of many good things that will disrupt and chance things and what we think we know about the world around us.

But these shocks all look to have a good outcome for the whole. I do see this being as common, for those who want it of course, as an inoculation in the years to come, and not just for here. The governments would save tons of money, by providing it for free and gain productivity. There will be forces that oppose this for various reasons.

The birth rates might drop naturally or not, but over population is more a perception than a reality currently and probably well into the future. Natural disasters and accidents will all still take their toll though not as much maybe, as in the past.

Banking, money, and governments should all become obsolete, because of the technologies and lack of health worries of needs for them. I think they are already sensing this and trying to fight back with more controls, but those will fail, just like they always have in history. More future shock for some.

Take care.

For those who feel jaded, by the time they are 30s, I felt that way by 25. I had already done so many things, but what is worse is not being able to easily do what you want or need to do and this comes with age and gets worse. For those who think we would look or feel or think like old people if biologically young and immortal, you have the wrong concept. We are not talking nursing homes and life support. The 80 year olds cells that were immortalized by Geron and the University of Texas back in the 90s looked like a baby's cells, even under a microscope, and they had similar function, as far a they could tell. Aubrey by the way hated this news and how it got all the press, and feared it would kill his "funding" he told me then.

Aubrey is not the spear point for this work and probably way down the line from the leaders on it, and he is not a biologist nor mdeical.

After graduation in 1985, de Grey joined Sinclair Research Ltd as an artificial intelligence and software engineer. In 1986, he co-founded Man-Made Minions Ltd to pursue the development of an automated formal program verifier.

He inherited 16 million when his mom died, and to me he drinks to much daily. His wife is older and a geneticist and she is sick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_de_Grey#Criticism

Aging is a genetic disease, and not all species have it, just most. Death and aging are two different subjects. All things, at least in this reality do die, but what is death. Death may be a doorway transition and not an end. There does seem to evidence for this. We don't know what we don't know, or we would know it.

People need to stop worrying, as it shortens their lifespans and ages them faster.

In the immortal words of Queen....

"This world has only one sweet moment set aside for us.

Who wants to live forever,

Who dares to love forever,

When love must die."

• Like 1

No, I call bull, no way is there even one person at the age of 1,000. Otherwise, they'd look all brittle and dried up, total BS, plus we'd have confirmance of it of that person being the oldest person on the planet, and even then. I really doubt anyone would believe it.

As for this topic, 1,000 years is way too long, the world is already overpopulated, so imagine how much more it would be if people lived to that age, having children would have to be illegal. IMO, the max lifespan we should have is 120 and that's the limit, no where pass after that.

Edited by MysteryMike

As for this topic, 1,000 years is way too long, the world is already overpopulated, so imagine how much more it would be if people lived to that age, having children would have to be illegal. IMO, the max lifespan we should have is 120 and that's the limit, no where pass after that.

Why should you get to decide what the limit should be?
  • Like 1

I knew it, it's me.

Why should you get to decide what the limit should be?

We will see what he has to say, as he is dragged kicking and screaming to the roaring fire of the burning stake, in less than 100 years :yes: in public celebrations of all young people who just turned 120. Maybe like Logan's Run.

Knowing all chindren will meet the same fate.

I would recommend anyone who thinks we are overpopulated take a small plane and fly everywhere, at 5000 feet or less across this country, so they can grasp the vastness and emptiness we live in. We build tiny little ant mounds to reside in called towns and cities, and then talk about how crowded or overpopulated it is.

To put this another way there is 88.6 people per sq mi.

http://en.wikipedia..../United_States.

In Canada it is 8.3 per square mile

China 373 per square mile.

Austrailia 7.3

Vietnam 707

Russia 21.5 people per square mile

Antarctica 0.00091

World population density is only 35 people in a sguare mile. Excluding water and artic it hits only 130 people in a square mile.

On some ant hills

NYC is 26,403 per square mile

LA is 2,750 per square mile

Hong Kong 17,024 per square miles

In my county 15 per square mile :clap:

Edited by free10

We will see what he has to say, as he is dragged kicking and screaming to the roaring fire of the burning stake, in less than 100 years :yes: in public celebrations of all young people who just turned 120. Maybe like Logan's Run.

Knowing all chindren will meet the same fate.

I would recommend anyone who thinks we are overpopulated take a small plane and fly everywhere, at 5000 feet or less across this country, so they can grasp the vastness and emptiness we live in. We build tiny little ant mounds to reside in called towns and cities, and then talk about how crowded or overpopulated it is.

To put this another way there is 88.6 people per sq mi.

http://en.wikipedia..../United_States.

In Canada it is 8.3 per square mile

China 373 per square mile.

Austrailia 7.3

Vietnam 707

Russia 21.5 people per square mile

Antarctica 0.00091

World population density is only 35 people in a sguare mile. Excluding water and artic it hits only 130 people in a square mile.

On some ant hills

NYC is 26,403 per square mile

LA is 2,750 per square mile

Hong Kong 17,024 per square miles

In my county 15 per square mile :clap:

Open land and habitable land are not the same thing though. We aren't advanced enough to convert all land into something humans can comfortably live on. We're running that experiment in California but it isn't going too well just now .... :)

Open land and habitable land are not the same thing though. We aren't advanced enough to convert all land into something humans can comfortably live on. We're running that experiment in California but it isn't going too well just now .... :)

The term out here, for where I live is "no mans land" :lol:

Or as the song says

We talk about living on the Moon, or Mars, or deep in the oceans, or on them. It all in where we chose to live. Choosing California when there are a whole world of options is by choice. We can inhabit just about anywhere with out technologies and do, and the tech is really about to get sweet and cheap, in the next few years.

I absolutely love graphene, which is nothing more than a single sheet of carbon atoms. It is hundreds of times stronger than steel. It is many times harder than diamonds. It conducts electricity virtually without resistance. It conducts heat 6-12 times better than copper. It is lighter than air. What can it do is the wrong question. It is what can't it do?

They try and find something wrong with it, so theypoint out when made with high heat it has holes in it, then another lab points out those hole can let water through and only water. Can we say pure water filtration?? Can we say endless clean water?? The another lab observes the right size holes would filter hydrogen out of water or the air. Can we say endless hydrogen taken right out of the air or water, for endless energy??

Can graphene make electricity. Yep. Run water over it or move it, or feed it hydrogen and it makes electricity (fuel cells). Also when light hits it...photons are turned into electricity.

Other critics said yes, but it doesn't have a bandgap needed for certain electronics, so another lab replies, yes it does, when you put one sheet of it on another sheet of it, at a slight angle.

How about skyscrapers, or elevators into space??? Yep the stuff is that strong and that light. Anything else can not get close to that, because it would break or collapse from its own weight. Are we styling yet LOL

Can it help to grow food. Yep, in many ways. So we can have clean air, endless clean water, energy beyond anyones dreams, and so much more virtually anywhere in the universe, let alone here on earth. And stay warm and comfy and safe.

The first partial graphene products are already out and more are coming in the next few years, as they find the cheapest ways to make it in huge quantities and then put it into products and virtually all products. It should be cheaper and more common than plastic, but oh how different.

And I am just talking about graphene. There are many other wonders coming soon. These changes are many times greater than the industrial revolutions still on going.

I didn't even get into 3D printing and printing molecule by molecule. Can we say replicators. Can we say Star Trek food replicators. Then there will be the robots......better than anything seen in Terminator, but more friendly we hope.

The first of the LEDs with a little graphene is suppose to be out later this year, and it should produce more light, and use less energy, and cost less as well, while lasting longer. Graphene tires, rims, skins..............all are here or coming soon.

Technology.

if you can just stop the oddity of cells self destruct...

if you can just stop the oddity of cells self destruct...

I've read that they are working on that. Cells age because the ends of the DNA end up falling off over time as the cells replicate and divide. The idea that is being worked on is to "cap" the DNA so that the degradation doesn't occur, and at that point your cells become immortal, and you only die by violence or disease, not from degeneration.

I've read that they are working on that. Cells age because the ends of the DNA end up falling off over time as the cells replicate and divide. The idea that is being worked on is to "cap" the DNA so that the degradation doesn't occur, and at that point your cells become immortal, and you only die by violence or disease, not from degeneration.

The ends or tips are called telomeres, and they used to be called junk DNA and were thought to have no purpose. Then they thought they were only caps, like on shoe laces with the same function of keeping them from unraveling and getting frayed. But to me they are the master control, for the chromosomes for that cell, and losing any is not the best and when they get really short or they lose them totally for some reason it is really bad news.

Just capping them would not be best, but adding them back, if shortened already, using telomerase would be best. This way you have regeneration of all the cells with makes up the organism (us), as old cells become young again. Telomerase also has the ability to repair certain types of DNA damage as well and will keep the telomeres long, and keep them from shortening again.

Is it all the answer?? Well, maybe no. Is young blood all the answer?? Well, maybe not, but anything that can heal people back to younger and healthier states is worth a go, to buy more time until the answer is known, if those aren't totally the answer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm a huge optimist, but I think this is just the way humanity is going to naturally go. It's how we have always been going. Life spans have been constantly getting longer. There was a time when 40 was old- now, we see that as barely having lived half your life. Thinking back to the days when you died at 35 seem awful and barbaric, because we live to 70 and 80 now. No one wants to go back to that, and I think that's how it will always be when life spans continue extending. We'll get used to the new life span and the old one will seem awful. There will be a new normal.

Granted, things are going to change slightly because the human body starts falling apart at a certain point, so we'll be replacing parts to continue living. That will probably just become mainstream though, and we'll adjust society to our lifespans. Besides, if we're replacing parts and regenerating you wouldn't get old and frail as quickly. You could probably be in relatively good shape until 120 in the future, who knows.

Since breakthrough medical technologies are usually very expensive, only the wealthy can afford them. What we could be looking at is a class of corrupt politicians and corporate devils staying in power for hundreds of years...yay!

Since breakthrough medical technologies are usually very expensive, only the wealthy can afford them. What we could be looking at is a class of corrupt politicians and corporate devils staying in power for hundreds of years...yay!

In my view the system in the part of the world we in the west see is corrupt, and designed for profit, and that profit is death and diseases never ending. It is also a form of profitable cult religion.

We have something similar we call governments.

But not all fall for those games nor are they going to go along. We are quickly entering an era of freedom, as the technologies explode. This is not on the evening news which is corporate controlled but is available online from other sources, or by word of mouth. So this is really worldwide. Graphene is a very good example of this.

Those who are and have been controlling are having major major problems doing so, and it is getting worse all the time. The only reason the guards in a prison have the illusion of control is because the inmates allow it, and so in this situation. A the pressures build rebeliions happen, and those can take to form of full scale wars, to just not going along with it anymore like Ghandi or with the collapse of the Soviet Union. They just stopped listening to the "orders"/laws.

Take this for example

Not going along, and these wildfires in all areas will spread and fairly fast. Everyone should watch that talk, as it is one of the best and she is not talking some day, but it has and is already happening in humans, with gene therapy. Mass produced and refined it will cost virtually nothing and will probably be free in the years ahead. Just like the Salk vaccine for polio.

The prisoners are growing restless more by the day, and they are not going to allow the rich/powerful to take this and other things, just for themselves, or auction it to the highest bidders. Watch the video and let us know what ya think. This may cause future shock to some people that this is going on and may cause problems for their world or reality view, but things are changing at lightning speed for the better, in all areas of life.

But what do I know :whistle: