Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guarding the last male northern white rhino

She-ra

Sudan the rhino and 2 females of his subspecies are under constant surveillance in Kenya, but it may not be enough to save the creatures from extinction.

The survival of the world's population of northern white rhinos rests on the shoulders of Sudan, the sole surviving male of the subspecies — and the armed rangers who guard him 24 hours a day.

Sudan lives in Kenya's 90,000-acre Ol Pejeta Conservancy, which is also home to two female northern white rhinos.

• Like 1

Dont worry. I am sure some bushwach poacher will shoot this animal so he can harvest his ivory for some ooga-booga witchdoctor for his bloated hore**** rituals.

We are a sorry lot. :(

• Like 3

It is too late for that stupid people to behave protective towards these animals, is it? One more beautifull species goes extinct thanks to us. A lot of people ask themselves that question; "why are we here". I used to, and I still believe that we are here to save this world, this amazing planet, or at least to make it last longer. Chances are huge that this planet is one of the kind in this universe. This beauty, this variety of life. Unfortunately, instead of saving it, we're destroying this planet WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING that we're killing ourselves with it. Humans are parasites here. We don't have much time left on this planet.

• Like 1

Ignorance Kills. Whether it be religion, superstition or refusal to accept science, logic and reason. You can see the millions of lives lost when people fight each other in the name of their non-existent gods.

We are a sorry lot. :(

There's no reason to feel guilty for the actions of others, the poachers and those who drive the demand for rhinocerous horn are to blame, not you or I.

Unfortunately it's a sad reality that most of the magnificent and most threatened animals on earth live in poorer countries that lack the ability to protect them properly, they try of course, but clearly it hasn't been enough in the case of the Northern White Rhino.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne
  • Like 1

There's no reason to feel guilty for the actions of others, the poachers and those who drive the demand for rhinocerous horn are to blame, not you or I.

Unfortunately it's a sad reality that most of the magnificent and most threatened animals on earth live in poorer countries that lack the ability to protect them properly, they try of course, but clearly it hasn't been enough in the case of the Northern White Rhino.

I am sorry but i think that there is indeed a reason for all of us to feel guilty. So many species are lost forever just because of what humans did to them and we all have been marked till the end of time. Bad things are happening around us every day, in every country and every city around the world, animal cruelty is behind most of everyday products but we are blind to see that.

• Like 2

I am sorry but i think that there is indeed a reason for all of us to feel guilty. So many species are lost forever just because of what humans did to them and we all have been marked till the end of time. Bad things are happening around us every day, in every country and every city around the world, animal cruelty is behind most of everyday products but we are blind to see that.

HEAR HEAR! :tu: It's horrible. Makes me sad.
  • Like 2

REading the first few paragraphs felt like the Elron's speech he gave to Arwen in Two Towers or ROTK about Aragon's death

It is too late for that stupid people to behave protective towards these animals, is it? One more beautifull species goes extinct thanks to us. A lot of people ask themselves that question; "why are we here". I used to, and I still believe that we are here to save this world, this amazing planet, or at least to make it last longer. Chances are huge that this planet is one of the kind in this universe. This beauty, this variety of life. Unfortunately, instead of saving it, we're destroying this planet WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING that we're killing ourselves with it. Humans are parasites here. We don't have much time left on this planet.

We are mold on bread.....

we are cancer cells, and destroy our host.

Dont worry. I am sure some bushwach poacher will shoot this animal so he can harvest his ivory for some ooga-booga witchdoctor for his bloated hore**** rituals.

Sorry, but nearly all the Ivory leaves Africa for other countries.

Spending money to protect species on the planet had become a stupid pastime that we now know does not work. Unfortunately, the majority of humans are selfish and ignorant about the world around them. Our human existence alone predicates that we shove all lower life forms to the side in order to build condos, shopping centers, etc. Heck, we only truly appreciate each other ONLY after we have died. It’s only then that the work the dead human created is really appreciated. 99% of all life that has ever lived on Planet Earth is now extinct. 90 % of all the oceans large fish are now GONE, but where is that on the news? Japan has so much tuna on frozen tap that if it stopped fishing today, it would have tuna reserves to last ten years. At no other time in history are species disappearing at the rate they are now. Smaller species are disappearing every other year but they don’t make the news like the larger animals. Today it’s the Rhino, next is the Polar Bear, one day it will be us.

Sometime's I think it is much too painful to see what is happening and why it is happening , we all contribute . We are all consumers .

That is why the majority turn a ' blind eye ' , because it is just too painful to face ourselves and what we are doing :(

• Like 1

And as one creatures blood line comes to sad end, so something new will spring up in sea or a jungle somewhere. Humans tend to think of life in terms of tens of thousands of years instead of hundreds of millions. The rhino sadly had no place in our world. The old dude probably know this and despises humans and refuses to mate so as not to extend the misery of his species.

I wonder if removing his horn has anything to do with him not wanting to mate. Maybe he feels emasculated.

And as one creatures blood line comes to sad end, so something new will spring up in sea or a jungle somewhere. Humans tend to think of life in terms of tens of thousands of years instead of hundreds of millions. The rhino sadly had no place in our world. The old dude probably know this and despises humans and refuses to mate so as not to extend the misery of his species.

The Northern white rhino DID have a place in our world. They have not been killed off by natural evolution, they have been killed off by the greed of the poachers and the ridiculous beliefs that their horn somehow contains some "magical" medicine. The horn contains not much more than keratin which is the same material as human hair and nails. I wonder how much of an outcry there would be if poachers started killing humans for their hair and nails?

It's very sad indeed :(

He will never be horny again!

I wonder how much of an outcry there would be if poachers started killing humans for their hair and nails?

Maybe we should start saving and sending our clippings.

I'm afraid I can't see any logic whatsoever in your guilt, it seems utterly pointless to me, you did not cause the death of a single rhinocerous, you have no accountability simply because you are the same animal as the people who did kill the rhinocerous, feeling guilt for their extinction is no different and illogical than feeling guilt because of a man in some part of the world murdered a child, the death of the child is his doing, not yours, the fact you are both people doesn't mean you should bear guilt for him killing the child, and no one would argue you should, this is no different.

Just because it is in vogue to voice guilt on the entire human species for the actions of a few poachers and idiotic people elsewhere driving a demand for horns based on superstitions, doesn't make it any less illogical and, in my view, wrong to do so.

"we all have been marked till the end of time."

Ah, a sort of original sin idea.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne

so theres one male white rhino left and someone thought it was a good idea to remove his horn? wtf... and yes i agree if farmers artificially insiminate cows why are they standing around chopping off his body parts and making them uncomfortable with thier armed presence rather than helping the reproductive process...