Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wow. I'm not normally into movies.

White Crane Feather

I watched this today while my oldest was home from school with a fever. And again in life I'm always shocked. Not because in this case it's so close to some of the things i have been trying to convey to people, but because others MUST have been thinking it at the same time I was being exsposed to it. im sure only a few people will and can appreciate it.

Watch it. I have been unimpressed with movies for a long time, but space Odessy 2001 meets new thought that I thought was my own but apparently not.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

WCF

Nice looking movie. It wasn't obvious to me from the trailer, however, what spirituality or skepticism issue was raised by the film.

• Like 1

I watched the movie a month or so ago and thoroughly recommend it. It is extremely well-acted and well-written.

eb,

Aside from the purely human issues (relationships, etc) it provokes thinking about who, or what, any 'higher power' might be - and whether it is, in fact, ourselves.

• Like 2

WCF

Nice looking movie. It wasn't obvious to me from the trailer, however, what spirituality or skepticism issue was raised by the film.

It exsplores the possability of spirits and higher intelligences possibly being higher dimentional beings even ourselves or eventual self. I Enjoyed in very much and I have been rather disapointed in movies for quit some time now.

• Like 2

Got to watch the movie Interstellar about two weaks ago, it took me by surprise. It's one of the best film I've seen in a while. I absolutely loved to blend of science and metaphysics. The movie push us to wonder who we really are, what's the purpose of all this and where exactly are we going?

And the main theme by Hans Zimmer.. Wow. It seems to stirr something inside me, all the hopes, longing and awe for our Universe. Still can't help thinking about the moment where Cooper was in the Tesserac, witnessing different stages of his daughter's life. Banging on the 'wall' helpessly, wishing he had stayed. To me, it's one of the most powerful, if the THE most powerful moment of cinema I have seen.

It exsplores the possability of spirits and higher intelligences possibly being higher dimentional beings even ourselves or eventual self. I Enjoyed in very much and I have been rather disapointed in movies for quit some time now.

The most popular theory out there (and the one believed by Cooper himself apparently) is that ''They'' are actually the frozen human ova of Plan B coming from the future who, by evolving on the Edmund planet, came to master the laws of physics and so the Fifth dimension as to appear like 'Gods' by bending spacetime to their will. ''They'' decided to change the course of events and save their human forefathers doomed on Earth, as was originally intended in Plan A that failed.

So to change the past and save all of mankind, they travelled back in time, placed a wormhole near Jupiter, waited to captured Cooper from the Black Hole instead of him dying there and placed him in a Tesserac so that he could give the equation to his daughter. Murphy's ghost you know.. They then send him back on the wormhole on his way to Earth - mission accomplished - to see his (old) daughter one last time and join with Dr Brand on Edmund.

''They'' may have runned thousands of simulations to determine the probability of Cooper ending up in Gargantua, which is essential to help his daughter solve gravity and figuring out how many times ''They'' will have to try in order to succeed in getting Cooper where ''They'' want him to be without too much interferences.

But remember Murphy's laws: Antyhing that can happen will happen...

In this story, time is a circle.

Edited by samus
  • Like 1

I watched the movie a month or so ago and thoroughly recommend it. It is extremely well-acted and well-written.

eb,

Aside from the purely human issues (relationships, etc) it provokes thinking about who, or what, any 'higher power' might be - and whether it is, in fact, ourselves.

How accurate is the science, Leo?

WCF

Are you going to see it, Paul?

• Like 1

WCF

Great question, I would be interested in that too, what thoughts or insights or epiphanies did it spark?

• Like 1

Sheri

It looks like a movie I'd be interested in, so I predict that I'll watch it when I get a chance. In the meantime, though, I don't know enough about the ideas it presents to comment further.

• Like 1

I highly recommend this movie!!! But be warned that it is not a standard easygoing Blockbuster you can watch and be casually entertained... Be prepared for a long haul movie (it can be somewhat slow at times) and let yourself get emersed in the complex storyline, amazing Pictures and a soundtrack that will blow your mind. It would be a shame to reveal too much of the philosophical issues this movie tries to deal with. Basically its all about time. Time as in Einsteins theory of relativity. Time and its effect on the time/Space continuum. Time as a physical fourth dimension and how you would perceive it if you could. Time and how it interact with quantum theory. But even if you put all these advanced ideas aside you are still left with a hauntingly beautiful movie well worth your time and effort!

• Like 3

It's dificult to talk about accuracy as the movie deals with quantum science which in it's nature is somewhat hard to prove. But it's based on all the major quantum theories presented by science from Einstein and up to present day. Even if it is somewhat superficially presented in this movie the science is solid in as much as it is based on real accepted theory and so far has not been disproven.

• Like 1

It's got acurate parts and and not so accurate parts. The whole idea of time as being a fourth dimention that a fifth dimentional being could operate in is a very far stretch. The "time" dimention isn't really the same thing as a space dimention. time is really about configurations of the universe. A fifth dimentional being might be able to look at our universe in its entirety at one time, but the configuration of the universe will be different from moment to moment. And the only way to go back in time is to actually reconfigure or recreate the universe exactly how it was. Indeed this is God like. some interesting things happen in QM where entangled twins know the behaviour of their twin in the future and behave as such, but this may simply be about information. There does seem to be a way to send information back in time with it, but the machine would be absolutely colossal and there is no telling what happens at that size to effect the it. My guess is somwhere it can't work.

The other part is how close they are to that giant black hole. That dosn't seem to be realistic. But they did get the tidal forces part right on the first planet they landed on. As soon as I saw the water and knowing they were next to a black hole, I thought "oh ****", but I wasn't expecting them to get that part right, because they ignored the tidal forces problem with the worm hole, then again latter ignored it as he was falling in. ( though assuming the "others" may have solved these problems). I was pleasantly surprised to see that they got it right.

• Like 1

As far as the theory goes, it quite accurate. There is some license taken with respect 'human hibernation' - but for all we know this is possible. The special effects are also completely guesswork, but this is Hollywood so the effects have to please the audience rather than conform to known science.

I suppose the biggest, perhaps only real boo-boo they make is allowing matter to remain 'coherent' when entering into the event horizon of a worm hole or black hole. As far as I know, science does not predict that, but predicts that matter in such an environment will be reduced to a fundamental state.

But such an 'out' is necessary for the plot.

• Like 1

The most popular theory out there (and the one believed by Cooper himself apparently) is that ''They'' are actually the frozen human ova of Plan B coming from the future who, by evolving on the Edmund planet, came to master the laws of physics and so the Fifth dimension as to appear like 'Gods' by bending spacetime to their will. ''They'' decided to change the course of events and save their human forefathers doomed on Earth, as was originally intended in Plan A that failed.

So to change the past and save all of mankind, they travelled back in time, placed a wormhole near Jupiter, waited to captured Cooper from the Black Hole instead of him dying there and placed him in a Tesserac so that he could give the equation to his daughter. Murphy's ghost you know.. They then send him back on the wormhole on his way to Earth - mission accomplished - to see his (old) daughter one last time and join with Dr Brand on Edmund.

''They'' may have runned thousands of simulations to determine the probability of Cooper ending up in Gargantua, which is essential to help his daughter solve gravity and figuring out how many times ''They'' will have to try in order to succeed in getting Cooper where ''They'' want him to be without too much interferences.

But remember Murphy's laws: Antyhing that can happen will happen...

In this story, time is a circle.

Slight spoiler below:

I've heard of this hypothesis about who "They" are, but the simulation aspect is unnecessary if Cooper finds Brand and joins them on the planet - because Cooper knows what is necessary for all the events to occur.

As far as the theory goes, it quite accurate. There is some license taken with respect 'human hibernation' - but for all we know this is possible. The special effects are also completely guesswork, but this is Hollywood so the effects have to please the audience rather than conform to known science.

I suppose the biggest, perhaps only real boo-boo they make is allowing matter to remain 'coherent' when entering into the event horizon of a worm hole or black hole. As far as I know, science does not predict that, but predicts that matter in such an environment will be reduced to a fundamental state.

Tidal spaghettification ;) i was wondering when Mathew's feet were going to ripp off. Though in theory as was suggested earlier the advanced race helping them would have solved this. The waves on the first planet are the same phenominon so they were thinking about it.

Edited by White Crane Feather

Thank you Leo, WCF, and Jackscolon for the information. I look forward to seeing this.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Br Cornelius

I saw this partly as a result of this thread. it was well made and dealt with some interesting concepts - but ultimately it descended into absolute hockum once the main character passed the event horizon and survived (hockum in itself). It took to many liberties with just basic science to deserve much respect as anything other than a visual spectacle.

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Br Cornelius

I saw this partly as a result of this thread. it was well made and dealt with some interesting concepts - but ultimately it descended into absolute hockum once the main character passed the event horizon and survived (hockum in itself). It took to many liberties with just basic science to deserve much respect as anything other than a visual spectacle.

Br Cornelius

Glad to know this, thank you Br. Cornelius, I wondered about the science.

It is an excellent movie in every department, if a little predictable after 60 years of reading sci .fi. I agree that the understated implicit questions it raises are interesting, but it was the sheer production qualities of the film which I most enjoyed and the traditional human relationships, examined in very new ways, under exceptional circumstances.

I thought they got around that with the implication that an advanced species had learned how to reformat or make coherent again, matter which was made non coherent via the worm hole This is quite an "old" concept in science fiction, and basically the technology of star trek's transmat beam . Some scientists argue that, indeed, wormholes are potential passages between disparate elements of time and space, which only require sufficient energy and knowledge to navigate.

I am prejudiced not just by decades of reading such scenarios but from the personal experience of using such wormholes for transport (of consciousness only) I "know" (as surely as one can know anything in this world) that there already exists such a transport network across our galaxy with at least one portal quite close to our own solar system. It was "built"/engineered by an ancient race over a long period of time.

From my experience it is used to transport consciousness only but this might be simply the easiest way to travel. Send your consciousness and have it reconstituted in a new entity at the other end, rather than send the original entity which would be entirely out of place at the destination. .

The descriptions of many writers are often so close to my own experiences that I am led to wonder if many of them have not had similar experiences of travel through the wormholes to other places.

Life in the universe is very diverse, and occurs along a long spectrum of evolution, but conscious self awareness, where it evolves, is much more rare, yet actually very similar and compatible.

Take for example, a human and a dolphin. Once dolphins have been "taught" to think and communicate at a human level, our minds will prove to be quite compatible in their workings. Enough so, that my consciousness could inhabit that of a dolphin mind/body or vice versa, and live/experience life as a dolphin. Extend this to alien consciousness's and the same thing applies.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Glad to know this, thank you Br. Cornelius, I wondered about the science.

.... Two people already addressed these problems ;)

Br Cornelius

It's a movie cornlius. We already addressed the impact of tidal forces approaching and crossing an event horizon even with a worm whole which is pretty much the same thing . There's is a premis in the movie that takes care of this. It was very acurate while still being able to spell out a story. Art has its place aswell.

I thought they got around that with the implication that an advanced species had learned how to reformat or make coherent again, matter which was made non coherent via the worm hole This is quite an "old" concept in science fiction, and basically the technology of star trek's transmat beam . Some scientists argue that, indeed, wormholes are potential passages between disparate elements of time and space, which only require sufficient energy and knowledge to navigate.

I am prejudiced not just by decades of reading such scenarios but from the personal experience of using such wormholes for transport (of consciousness only) I "know" (as surely as one can know anything in this world) that there already exists such a transport network across our galaxy with at least one portal quite close to our own solar system. It was "built"/engineered by an ancient race over a long period of time.

From my experience it is used to transport consciousness only but this might be simply the easiest way to travel. Send your consciousness and have it reconstituted in a new entity at the other end, rather than send the original entity which would be entirely out of place at the destination. .

The descriptions of many writers are often so close to my own experiences that I am led to wonder if many of them have not had similar experiences of travel through the wormholes to other places.

Life in the universe is very diverse, and occurs along a long spectrum of evolution, but conscious self awareness, where it evolves, is much more rare, yet actually very similar and compatible.

Take for example, a human and a dolphin. Once dolphins have been "taught" to think and communicate at a human level, our minds will prove to be quite compatible in their workings. Enough so, that my consciousness could inhabit that of a dolphin mind/body or vice versa, and live/experience life as a dolphin. Extend this to alien consciousness's and the same thing applies.

Dolphins simply have a different nature. It's not a cognative peoblem. They are as smart as us but we don't define it as so, and they think we are not as smart as they are becaue they define what is intelligent differently and act upon it just like we do. I suspect you are the only person that can understand this.

Dolphins simply have a different nature. It's not a cognative peoblem. They are as smart as us but we don't define it as so, and they think we are not as smart as they are becaue they define what is intelligent differently and act upon it just like we do. I suspect you are the only person that can understand this.

For me it is a problem of language, especially complex, abstract and conceptual, symbolic language as used by humans. At the moment if I enter a dolphin's mind I am limited by a dolphin's mental linguistic abilities, but when we evolve a dolphin to the point where it, "thinks in human terms", then we will be able to communicate with it, both in physical terms ( as we communicate with each other) and mind to mind. At the moment we can tell a dolphin to lay a mine on an underwater object, and it will do so, but we cant talk about abstract or conceptual ideas with a dolphin. Of course it might be easier to teach a human to think like a dolphin. :innocent: In some ways I think this is how shamans, and others who enter into the conscious of other beings, actually work it. They have a ability to "think like" the creature they link with While I might enter the mind of a bird to fly with it and be it as it flies or a wolf to explore the forest at night, the link is limited not by my mind but by the animals On the other hand I cant utilise the animals sense of smell, or geospatial awareness of its location, for example, as the animal can, because I don't have the learned experience to do so. If I am flying with a goose over Canada for example I might know it is Canada because I can recognise vegetation or terrain/ landmarks, but I wont have the goose's sense of exactly where it is on the earth's surface, because this is not a conceptual understanding in the goose's mind.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

With the world population growth increasing dramatically over the decades, I wonder if we as a species will consume our natural resources

to the point that something is going to have to give. Either something will happen to depopulate the planet or will colonization of other worlds be a choice providing we have the technology by then.

Edited by Hawkin