Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Losing my religion for equality

Grandpa Greenman

Pres. Carter wrote this in 2009. I just came acrossed it and thought it was a read worth sharing.

Losing my religion for equality

Women and girls have been discriminated against for too long in a twisted interpretation of the word of God.

I HAVE been a practising Christian all my life and a deacon and Bible teacher for many years. My faith is a source of strength and comfort to me, as religious beliefs are to hundreds of millions of people around the world. So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when the convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service.

This view that women are somehow inferior to men is not restricted to one religion or belief. Women are prevented from playing a full and equal role in many faiths. Nor, tragically, does its influence stop at the walls of the church, mosque, synagogue or temple. This discrimination, unjustifiably attributed to a Higher Authority, has provided a reason or excuse for the deprivation of women's equal rights across the world for centuries.

(read more of it here)

http://www.theage.co...k0v.html?stb=fb

• Like 4

I've said it many times here on UM - religion is not faith.

I've no doubt Pres. Carter maintained a faith in a Higher Authority, but in shedding his reliance on religion he learnt to think for himself as to what that faith entailed, rather than allowing others to define it for him.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 4

Pres. Carter wrote this in 2009. I just came acrossed it and thought it was a read worth sharing.

I remember when that news being published. It was the start, (even though I never had any resentment for Carter to begin with) of really respecting former President Carter. I also felt that it described to me, how so many, starting with Carter, feel that women deserve the right to be equal and more, while they are strong in their beliefs. I always felt Carter was still believing, but that his heart and respect went out for his female loved ones and he felt for women in all, that man is a hero to me. :yes:

I've said it many times here on UM - religion is not faith.

I've not doubt Pres. Carter maintained a faith in a Higher Authority, but in shedding his reliance on religion he learnt to think for himself as to what that faith entailed, rather than allowing others to define it for him.

I think you are right about that.
  • Like 2

He has a point.

Frankly, I have a hard time understanding how women can follow the god of the bible.

• Like 5

I think, though, in the last paragraph he shows he is an apologist. I think he gives the authors of "sacred" books too much credit for upholding the rights of men and women. They were men of their times, whether they were real or not, and like Jefferson, were unable live the truth of their own reasoning and get past their own selfish ends.

The truth is that male religious leaders have had - and still have - an option to interpret holy teachings either to exalt or subjugate women. They have, for their own selfish ends, overwhelmingly chosen the latter. Their continuing choice provides the foundation or justification for much of the pervasive persecution and abuse of women throughout the world. This is in clear violation not just of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights but also the teachings of Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul, Moses and the prophets, Muhammad, and founders of other great religions - all of whom have called for proper and equitable treatment of all the children of God. It is time we had the courage to challenge these views.
  • Like 1

He has a point.

Frankly, I have a hard time understanding how women can follow the god of the bible.

That always gets me too. I guess I say this as a believer, but was raised secular. I do see women, in my personal experiences and in the media, who reason that it's best for them to follow the rules women have to follow in their religion. I wonder, if they are reasoning it in a objective manner or a subjective manner.

But here's the thing I always wonder at, and see the reasons that Carter is getting at. Love is selfless thing, putting the other you love first. Caring for how they feel I feel is part of that. I see that Carter probably was thinking of his wife, and his daughter, and see how he cannot even fathom them living in such rules that would make them miserable. So, I wonder why are their husbands, brothers, fathers, and such who feel that they love the women in their life and yet watch them feel the unempowerment of their lives and still think they love these women? How do they allow that or even insist that to happen?

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright

He has a point.

I hear you. Actually, I really have a hard time understanding how anyone born in the last century or so can follow the God of the OLd Testament. Except perhaps for Jewish men. The God of the NT is clearly a different dude.

I hear you. Actually, I really have a hard time understanding how anyone born in the last century or so can follow the God of the OLd Testament. Except perhaps for Jewish men. The God of the NT is clearly a different dude.

Personally I think it has more to do with individuals creating their own version of christianity that fits their belief systems. Thus cherry picking all of the clappy clappy kumbaya stuff and forgetting all of the absolutely horrible and vile aspects of the religion is that much easier to do.

• Like 3

He has a point.

Truer words have never been said. I've often wondered about this myself. What confuses me even more is how a woman can willingly convert to Islam, or any other religion that oppresses women so hard.

• Like 3

He has a point.

Not just this, but actually being a clear statistical majority. Women make up for 60% of church-going adults, so there must be something appealing to them.
  • Like 1

I think the reason women go along with the Abrahamic ideas about women is indoctrination by society. I have met people who don't seem to every realize there are other religions than the Abrahamic religions. I bet in Paganism the men to women ratio is about 80 percent women. Paganism is very empowering for women. I have seen women who were really beat down blossom in Pagan paths.

• Like 2

God never intended us to be religious. Religion is man-made, literally, and therefore flawed, sinful, and defiles God by default. I believe this article explains it better than I ever could: http://definingthenarrative.com/god-hates-religion/

I believe in God, I read the Bible, and it's a struggle everyday to not be religious. I fail more than I am successful, but for me it's about FAITH not religious creed.

God never intended us to be religious. Religion is man-made, literally, and therefore flawed, sinful, and defiles God by default. I believe this article explains it better than I ever could: http://definingthena...hates-religion/

I believe in God, I read the Bible, and it's a struggle everyday to not be religious. I fail more than I am successful, but for me it's about FAITH not religious creed.

There are many paths and as many definitions of God, why limit yourself to a single perspective?

• Like 1

There are many paths and as many definitions of God, why limit yourself to a single perspective?

You don't have to believe me when I write, "I understand where you're coming from", but I do indeed see your point. However, I firmly believe there is only one way: "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6) I don't think I am limiting myself to a single perspective, merely choosing a perspective I most believe in.

To the point of the thread, I don't believe God wanted Christianity to be a religion and it is a man-made concept. Regrettably, because of greed, pride, ego, or other sins the religious part will not go away... but I don't have to be a part of it.

However, I firmly believe there is only one way: "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

Why, what makes that so? Why not Hiawatha? No more bible quotes, in your own words. If you don't do Bible quote, I won't do Star Trek quotes.

• Like 1

Just think...We find 30,000+ year old sacred carved Stones of Women.

• Like 2