Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Hiding a hangover in ancient Egypt would've taken some work. Rather than popping an ibuprofen for a pounding drunken headache, people in Egypt may have worn a leafy necklace.

That's according to a newly translated and published papyrus written in Greek with the recipe for a "drunken headache" cure. The alcohol victim would have strung together leaves from a shrub called Alexandrian chamaedaphne (Ruscus racemosus L.), possibly wearing the strand around the neck, the text revealed.

http://www.livescien...discovered.html

• Like 5

Oh man!! If you read down further in the article it has an excerpt about eye surgery too:

That treatment seems relatively mild compared with techniques for eye surgery laid out in the collection. One fragment contains what appears to be a first-person accounticon1.png of surgery performed on an everted eyelid, an eyelid that has turned inside out causing irritation. The text is fragmentary, and some of the words are uncertain; however, it's clear this was not an operation for the faint of heart, especially given that anaesthesia hadn't been invented yet.

:o

Cool stuff Still Waters. Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Very neat discoveries.

It would be so awesome to read a book about their medical and herbal finds.

I always felt that they were a head of the times, from what I have studied about them. The thing is, when reading the thread's title of

Ancient Hangover Cure Found In Greek Texts, I was thinking that's because they really knew how to party! :tu::D;)

• Like 3

it must have worked... some pain reliever absorbed through the skin? .. or maybe even through the olfactory processes? (fumes)

I will test it this weekend, best excuse i can say to my wife to get drunk past the point of redemption !

• Like 1

How do you say "One hair from large K9" in Greek

tríches apó to skýlo pou dánko̱se

I always felt that they were a head of the times, from what I have studied about them. The thing is, when reading the thread's title of

Ancient Hangover Cure Found In Greek Texts, I was thinking that's because they really knew how to party! :tu::D;)

yeah, i was hoping to get something more effective.....my wife is greek, and every time her Family visits, that would come in pretty Handy :D

• Like 1

I dont drink anymore but i had a concoction that cures a hangover within 20 min....

half a teaspoon of salt,

4 teaspoons of sugar,

Teaspoon of baking soda,

1 Crushed multi vitamin pill

2 crushed ibuprofen

2 crushed solpadeine

2 crushed proplus

i used to put all this into a banana smoothy or a protein shake, and within 20min the hangover was completely gone!

Give it a try, it genuinely is a mirical cure

Pft...hangovers are just dehydration, just make sure to drink water between each drink and have a big glass right before bed! You'll feel fine in the morning!

I have the best hangover cure there is: drink two glasses of water before going to bed. You will not have a hangover.

A hangover is caused by dehydration. :yes:

I wonder if they had OBAMACARE?

I think they called it CAESAURCARE.

I've been lucky. I've only ever had 1 hangout. This was back when beer and shots are $1. I went through all my cash, had a tab of $90 and forgot the phone number of a girl I met. Bad night all around. That was about 40 years ago. At least I was on vacation.

• 1 month later...