Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The UK General Election - May 7th 2015

bee

I thought we could do with a thread for general discussion about the election -

Not long to go now

Here's one of the charts about voting intention -

http://www.dailymail...tinue-drop.html

On TV there is constant reference to the 'three main parties' - but as UKIP seems to have more support than the Lib Dems -

Shouldn't this be the 'four main parties' - and now with all the hype about the SNP - perhaps even the FIVE main parties - ?

Green Party leader Natalie Bennett made the extraordinary claim on Wednesday that she would turn down the role of Environment Secretary if it were offered to her as part of a post-election coalition, insisting her party can better pursue its goals from opposition. Speaking on BBC Radio 4, Bennett said Green voters could rely on any MPs they elect to stick to their principles and that her party did not believe in coalition government.

:unsure:

:D

http://www.huffingto..._n_7120792.html

Well, let's draw up a little table;

Reasons I won't be voting for the Conservatory party

David Cameroon's smug, chubby Old Etonian face.

The fact that their only policy has been "cuts, cuts, cuts, cuts, cuts".

The fact that his Chancellor of the Exchequer, the one responsible for the policy of Cuts, Cuts, Cuts, was given the job purely on account of being an Old Etonian chum of smug Cameron, and despite the fact that he has no qualifications or any kind of experience whatsoever in anything to do with finance or business.

The fact that smug David Cameroon was the one largely responsible, along with his friend M. Sarkozy, for creating the disaster in Libya. His reason for doing that, according to many reputable experts, was in order to demonstrate that Britain could still be an effective military force despite his Cuts.

The utterly idiotic cuts to the armed forces.

His pathetic sycophancy to the American neocons' absurd campaign of vilification against the Tyrant Putin.

Reasons I won't be voting for the Labour party

Ed Millibrand: I so far have nothing personally against him, notwithstanding his peculiar face, although his fondness for embarrassingly cringeworthy photo-opportunities must surely be a factor against him (that bacon sandwich incident was particularly crass). The main reason I wouldn't vote for his lot, however, is that Labour has always been all about control and taking everything into government control. So I'm afraid, as that is always unfailingly a recipe for an utter shambles, I'm afraid that, in the words of Simon Cowell, No.

Reasons I won't be voting for the Liberal Demcoratic party

The unpleasant, slimy little weasel nick clegg

So who else is there?

Well, i do have to say that, even though all the media on all sides are biased against them, and do their uttermost to portray them as a bunch of idiots and racists at every opportunity, ol' Nige F. does seem to be the one that often speaks the most sense on important things like foreign policy, and often seems to be the only one brave enough to speak out on things like who's responsible for the fiasco in LIbya.

Oh, what's that, the Greens? Well, well meaning but naive and, from the experience of their one taste of being in power so far, in Brighton, hopelessly inept, it seems.

• Like 4

It doesn't matter which party wins, the road potholes will remain, the asylum seekers will be set free to vanish into the cities, the N.H.S. will still keep on failing, V.A.T will still be 20%,....whats happened to the £2 million per day we were spending on troops in Afghanistan. the Euro's will still dictate our lives, all because we haven't a strong enough leader in any of the parties with the guts to change things,

• Like 1

Clegg and his gang hopefully will lose their seats, they deserve to after selling out to gain a little power.

• Like 1

Who's everyones local MP's btw?

Richard Drax (brother of Hugo :unsure2: ) , who, despite being a Conservativist, is a decent enough fellow, and if we really were just voting for our local MP I'd have no problem voting for him. But since what we're voting for is the Government and who'll be Prime Minister, any vote for a Tory is a vote for smug David Cameron, so I'm afraid, once again, I will have to say No. :no:

Edited by Norbert Dentressangle

Who's everyones local MP's btw?

Well at the moment it's Joanna Lumley -

Joanna-Lumley-and-Gurkha--003.jpg

Oh sorry - wrong Lumley - that should have been - - - Karen Lumley - - - ^_^ - - - conservative

But I'm going to be voting for Peter Jewell, UKIP - -

I wrote an email to him telling him and wishing him luck and he sent me a nice email back -

I said I hoped he would get a lot of support because at the very least Labour and Conservatives needed

a good kick up the backside to give them a shock and a shake up - - :D

I always said that the Labour Party voted for the wrong brother as leader - the other one would have stood a better chance -

Ed is doing his best under the circumstances - ie. his voice his face etc :)

But apparently many teenagers have got the hots for him..!!!!!... :w00t:

general-election-2015-campaign-april-20th-630x433.jpg

Yesterday the world was delighted to learn that a British teenager named Abby had started the Milifandom, a group of teenage girls who love and adore Ed Milband.

https://uk.news.yaho...45.html#Zfw4WiZ

All because we haven't a strong enough leader in any of the parties with the guts to change things,

That's the problem, you can't change things. If you are elected, all you can realistically do is shuffle things around, the system literally will not allow any bending, and there certainly does not seem to be any room to grow.

Plus no one is empowered to act on any change. If you want to get into politics you are encouraged to go to Uni and study the subject, or Law or Economics, and I think we are far too embedded in Global Politics and Economics for any serious change to ever take place.

The next Revolution will have to be Global.

Back on point, I seriously think I will not be voting, or if I do I certainly do not think my ballot paper will be counted, on the basis of all the swear words written on it. Really really frustrated with this election, we are all between a Rock and a Hard Place, although maybe this is the first Election I have really paid much attention to.

Clegg and his gang hopefully will lose their seats, they deserve to after selling out to gain a little power.

oh - - but Shadow - - didn't you know that

only the Lib Dems could "add a heart to a Conservative government and add a brain to a Labour one".

Nick Clegg = :santa:

:lol:

http://www.sharecast.com/news/lib-dems-would-give-tories-a-heart-and-labour-a-brain-says-clegg/22668971.html

Yeah - I bet that remark has made him very popular with Labour and Conservatives - like he's saying the conservatives

are cold and heartless and Labour are thick and stupid - lol

Green Party leader Natalie Bennett made the extraordinary claim on Wednesday that she would turn down the role of Environment Secretary if it were offered to her as part of a post-election coalition, insisting her party can better pursue its goals from opposition. Speaking on BBC Radio 4, Bennett said Green voters could rely on any MPs they elect to stick to their principles and that her party did not believe in coalition government.

:unsure:

:D

http://www.huffingto..._n_7120792.html

She also wants to install swings instead of benches at bus stops! :wacko:

• Like 1

I live in a ultra strong Labour seat, In my short voting life i've voted Labour, Conservative and UKIP in the European election. In this general election i'll be voting UKIP. it wont make a difference. but that's not the point. i agree with more of their policies than the others.

I think a lot of our spending problems could be eased with the annual £19.2Billion (2014) we pay in EU membership fees. People need to ask the question how does the UK with a £1.9Trillion economy keep having the need to raise more and more money. Where is all this money going.

The real politics of this country are not being spoken anyway. this country needs real change, from the NHS to welfare, economically we can not continue down the path where on, debt is building and building. no political party will tackle the issue because it would make them unelectable so they just fiddle around the edges, but make no mistake about it we'll reach a point where no longer can the can be kicked down the road and no-one will want to be elected because of it. Thatcher was the last Prime minister who attempted real change to address the balance and look what happened. People think they can have everything for free and they dont like being told otherwise.

• Like 2

I thought we could do with a thread for general discussion about the election -

Not long to go now

Here's one of the charts about voting intention -

http://www.dailymail...tinue-drop.html

On TV there is constant reference to the 'three main parties' - but as UKIP seems to have more support than the Lib Dems -

Shouldn't this be the 'four main parties' - and now with all the hype about the SNP - perhaps even the FIVE main parties - ?

I don't trust polls:

1. The Daily Mail isn't politically neutral.

2. How people intend to vote and who they actually vote for differ (is a vote for UKIP, Lib Dems, Green Party and smaller parties a waste of my vote?)

What happened to decentralising powers to Scotland? I can see resentment at not being given what they were promised causing a surge in SNP support.

The problem i've got is I think the cuts are a little to deep to quickly, but I absolutely despise the labour party. I can't vote UKip, to much of a one trick pony. So i'm not going to bother this time, waste of effort.

I don't trust polls:

2. How people intend to vote and who they actually vote for differ (is a vote for UKIP, Lib Dems, Green Party and smaller parties a waste of my vote?)

What happened to decentralising powers to Scotland? I can see resentment at not being given what they were promised causing a surge in SNP support.

All UK media isnt politically netural

The problem i've got is I think the cuts are a little to deep to quickly, but I absolutely despise the labour party. I can't vote UKip, to much of a one trick pony. So i'm not going to bother this time, waste of effort.

you can't or you won't vote for UKIP? its not really a waste of effort

• Like 1

The problem I see, is "The Don't Know" people.. In every ballot there are people who cannot be bothered ,or make their minds up, which if they think about it ,they can change the balance of power to their party's advantage. By not voting they are giving up their right to complain if things get worse.

Party "A" 40 % vote

Party "B" 40% vote

Abstainers 20%....if half these people voted one of the parties would be stronger, although not have an overall majority

Your VOTE does count.

• Like 2

The problem I see, is "The Don't Know" people.. In every ballot there are people who cannot be bothered ,or make their minds up, which if they think about it ,they can change the balance of power to their party's advantage. By not voting they are giving up their right to complain if things get worse.

Party "A" 40 % vote

Party "B" 40% vote

Abstainers 20%....if half these people voted one of the parties would be stronger, although not have an overall majority

Your VOTE does count.

yes, but this is the whole problem. If you don't want to vote for one lot or the other lot, who should you vote for? Ukip, the Greens or (even less likely) the lib dems, just because you should vote for someone because people once threw themselves under horses so they they could have the vote? It's the parties themselves that are to blame for "indifference" or "apathy"; it does annoy me when people say "oh, you just can't be bothered if you don't vote". And "if you don't vote, you have no right to complain"? You have every right to complain, and quite legitimately, since if you don't vote you demonstrate that you don't approve of any of them.
  • Like 1

you can't or you won't vote for UKIP? its not really a waste of effort

I can't. I've only ever heard them talk about a few issue. When it comes to day to day stuff I know where the others stand, for example I run a small business - Labour want to nanny me over that business, the Tories couldn't care if I become Branson over night, or fold tomorrow, get on with it either way as far they are concerned - I like that approach. UKIP - no idea.

Other stuff that concerns my day to day life I have no idea where UKIP stand! - my parents are getting on, no word on state pensions. All 3 of my sisters have kids and families - no word on schools, child benefits, working tax credits.

housing - not an issue for me, but it'll affect my nieces and nephews - are they building any, how many, any help for first time buyers..

Where's the detail on business growth if we pull out of Europe - what's the plan? I haven't heard one.

Making it up as you go along is what we alternate between already, but we have track records of local government with the main two to judge differences too...UKIP are untested even at a local level in any great numbers, and as we've narrowly avoided a major depression in recent years, and seem to be picking ourselves up now, i'm not going to take them seriously enough yet at this moment in time..

Edited by TSS

I can't. I've only ever heard them talk about a few issue. When it comes to day to day stuff I know where the others stand, for example I run a small business - Labour want to nanny me over that business, the Tories couldn't care if I become Branson over night, or fold tomorrow, get on with it either way as far they are concerned - I like that approach. UKIP - no idea.

Other stuff that concerns my day to day life I have no idea where UKIP stand! - my parents are getting on, no word on state pensions. All 3 of my sisters have kids and families - no word on schools, child benefits, working tax credits.

housing - not an issue for me, but it'll affect my nieces and nephews - are they building any, how many, any help for first time buyers..

Where's the detail on business growth if we pull out of Europe - what's the plan? I haven't heard one.

Making it up as you go along is what we alternate between already, but we have track records of local government with the main two to judge differences too...UKIP are untested even at a local level in any great numbers, and as we've narrowly avoided a major depression in recent years, and seem to be picking ourselves up now, i'm not going to take them seriously enough yet at this moment in time..

I agree, we should vote for someone because of the policies they offer, not just because you feel that you ought to. If none of them offer a persuasive package that's enough to tempt you, you should have the right to abstain/

Party "A" 40 % vote

Party "B" 40% vote

Your VOTE does count.

hmmm.... your math is off bud when voting turnout is roughly 60% in the UK since 2001.....

Party A 30% of the vote

Party B 30% of the vote

Those who didn't vote 40%.

The 40% have every right to complain and call out those who keep voting Party A & B.

• Like 2

Plus the sheer absurdity of the fact that Mr. Tony Bliar got into office, with virtually unlimited power, in the 2001 election (the term of office when he was in power for the invasion of Iraq) on 40% of the vote on a turnout of 60%. Does that sound fair? No wonder people got disillusioned with the idiocy of the system.

• Like 1

Example....The Lib/Dems are strong in the Southwest, so people say "They Always get in", so whats the point of voting.But the only way to change this is to get out and vote against them and change the situation and therefor your Vote does count.

At the last election in one area the vote was Lib/Dem 18000. the next nearest party was 17842, so if the people who didn't vote put their X against them they would have lost a seat, it only needed 159 non voters to change the system.Or am I talking rubbish, I'm open to Friendly fire.

• Like 1

I don't trust polls:

a point about Scotland and the decentralising of powers, it takes time two years. those Scots who think they would get them overnight don't understand the complexity of it all. Its like the Referendum, if they'd have returned a YES vote it would have taken at least two years for before they would gain Independence.

The Scots need a good dose of reality, So i agree the quicker we decentralise certain powers the better. and the SNP, if they'd have got their way would have bankrupted Scotland, they already had a 12% deficit and that was with a Oil price of $85 Dollars a barrel. at the current low price of $52 their spending plans would be in tatters. and no doubt when they came to explain this to their voters - them crashing the Scottish economy into the dirt - the SNP would blame the English.

• Like 1