Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The UK General Election - May 7th 2015

bee

UKIP here too.

I think UKIP will come third, on vote percentage, but three to four MP's is probably the limit they can achieve at this election. but what's important today is their vote percentage. anything over 15% and that stands the party in good stead for the next general election.

Just hope Nigel gets elected in Thanet south. get him in!

• Like 2

Thats' right! I chose the slightly eccentric independent (there's always one) who goes on about the Illuminati. :santa:

after what you said about political parties earlier in the thread - that was the perfect choice for you :)

I think UKIP will come third, on vote percentage, but three to four MP's is probably the limit they can achieve at this election. but what's important today is their vote percentage. anything over 15% and that stands the party in good stead for the next general election.

Just hope Nigel gets elected in Thanet south. get him in!

Out of the 5 in my house 5 went UKIP for the MP, 3 went UKIP for the councilor with the others one each for Labour and Conservative.

Growth is what UKIP need and if they get it we might be looking at a UKIP Government in 10 years time.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 2

Yeah we (Denmark) did nothing, except stationing our troops in the most dangerous part of Afghanistan (Helmand province). This resulted in us taking the highest relative losses of any ISAF contingent. We did this while being part of the UK command.

We also send troops to Iraq, again under UK command.

In the 90's we had quite a few troops in ex-Yougoslavia. At this point it should be no surprise that they were stationed with the British forces.

We have F-16 fighters in Iraq bombing ISIS and we send fighters to Libya when Gadaffi was removed. We have warships fighting pirates near Somalia and lately we have also send fighters to the Baltic countries to bolster their air defences.

Its good to see that their contribution is valued so highly. :no:

----- Rant over -----

Edit: Sorry if I came across as hostile to the UK. I am not !

In an earlier post I remarked that the only friendly Countries in Europe towards the U.K are the Dutch and Danes my apologies if I upset you.
  • Like 1

In an earlier post I remarked that the only friendly Countries in Europe towards the U.K are the Dutch and Danes my apologies if I upset you.

No problem. Like I said in my edit it came out a little more aggressive than it was intended. We Danes are indeed quite fond of you wacky Brits. (Except for the little matter of the time when you burned down Copenhagen and destoyed our navy. <_<)

• Like 3

well... that didn't go according to plan but who's really surprised? To celebrate I wouldn't put it past Mr. Cameron to pull off a middle eastern military intervention... heck, probably somewhere in Africa this time around... there has got to be something on the table... it's been awhile since the UK has unloaded some ordinance.

right now live on CNN they are following, with a helicopter, David Cameron's armoured Mercedes like they followed OJ Simpson's white Bronco back when CNN became famous... .........only noticeable difference is the streets are bare... void of anybody cheering the convoy along.......... good times

Edited by acidhead

Well, the results are certainly not quite what I expected up in Scotland. Sort of knew the SNP would do well, but to hold nearly all of the place, wiping out Labour? Didn't see that coming! However, there was one odd thing that sort of suggested a change I saw when I voted yesterday. Now normally you get an equal number of party types hanging around, say around two folk each. Oh, but you never see anyone from the Tories in my area. They never seem to even bother and stand at the polling stations... Anyway, yesterday afternoon, there was two members of Labour, but five members of the SNP. And that is kind of unusual. However, seeing just how big the win for this lot is, no longer surprising. Course, the question is now just who is in command of the SNP. Yes, Sturgeon is the leader up here, but with Wee Eck now joining the Westminster elite (who, I do recall saying during the independence vote that he hated those people down there) is he going to be exerting his demands over her?

Well, on the whole I think it's probably about the best that could reasonably be expected. Our local MP, who may be a Conservatist but seems a decent fellow, was re-elected comfortably, and we've escaped the prospect of a Labour government for the forseeable future (certainly for the next few elections), so on the whole I suppose reasonably qualified satisfaction.

• Like 1

As predicted UKIP are dead in the water, hows that feel Bee :clap:

Br Cornelius

And so, pretty conclusively, are the libdems and, to all intents and purposes, the labour party. So not really too much grounds for smugness there.

this is (these are?) the results from our local whatever it's called, constituency, isn't that the word, if anyone's interested:

Mr Drax took 23,756 votes. Bowkett (Lab) scored 11,762 votes, Legg (libdem) 2,901, Shakesby (UKIP) 7,304, Burnet (Green) 2,275, Stewkesbury (ind) 435 and Kirkwood (the chap who goes on about the Illuminati) 164.

So that's the libdems effectively out the way, then. I'm sure everyone'll agree with me it serves that nasty treacherous little weasel clegg right.

Guest Br Cornelius

And so, pretty conclusively, are the libdems and, to all intents and purposes, the labour party. So not really too much grounds for smugness there.

I think you overstate the death of the labour party. Demographics have changed to make a labour victory difficult and the conservatives the permanent incumbent. However after another 5 years the people of Britain will be desperately seeking a way out, just as they did at the end of the Thatcher period, because the Conservatives are extremists in many areas and most people do not actually want the country that the conservatives want to build. The rise of the SNP and the fear of what that means is the primary reason why the Conservatives have won, but Britain is predominantly a liberal nation and there will be a backlash from the more nasty and self serving policies of the Tories.

Its easy to blame the Liberals for been the fall guys for the Conservatives - but this time around there will be no one to blame for the punitive policies of the Tories other than the Tories. The NHS slashing and poor bashing will come home to roost.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

As predicted UKIP are dead in the water, hows that feel Bee :clap:

Br Cornelius

enjoy your little gloat..... :rolleyes:

Still no results from Nigel's constituency, they are saying it's on a knife edge -

I hope no one is out the back, or in the toilets, with a rubber - rubbing out the pencil crosses and putting them somewhere else -

to make sure he doesn't win - :huh:

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

I think what the UKIP result shows is that our little club of Farage fans are not at all typical of the general UK population and they might want to rethink the nature of the country they live in.

Br Cornelius

I think what the UKIP result shows is that our little club of Farage fans are not at all typical of the general UK population and they might want to rethink the nature of the country they live in.

Br Cornelius

In terms of votes nationwide, they are the 3rd biggest party - and when they do the arrow thing to show a decrease or increase in support they seem

to always be the party that has the biggest increase in support - but it isn't translated into seats -

Make of that what you will -

Edited by bee

I think you overstate the death of the labour party. Demographics have changed to make a labour victory difficult and the conservatives the permanent incumbent. However after another 5 years the people of Britain will be desperately seeking a way out, just as they did at the end of the Thatcher period, because the Conservatives are extremists in many areas and most people do not actually want the country that the conservatives want to build. The rise of the SNP and the fear of what that means is the primary reason why the Conservatives have won, but Britain is predominantly a liberal nation and there will be a backlash from the more nasty and self serving policies of the Tories.

Its easy to blame the Liberals for been the fall guys for the Conservatives - but this time around there will be no one to blame for the punitive policies of the Tories other than the Tories. The NHS slashing and poor bashing will come home to roost.

Br Cornelius

If that does indeed come to be the mood of the country in five years, do you think that they'll all turn to the Labour party? Do you think they're really likely to be able to rebuild themselves to that extent? Perhaps the labour party has had its day, perhaps it's an anachronism now. NewLabour showed how disastrous attempts to turn it into a low-calorie version of the Conservative party turned out to be, and the utter failure of Ed Millimetre's attempt to turn it back into an old fashioned State control, power to the Unions labour party shows perhaps that that concept is an obsolete one now. It really does seem that the Labour party is simply obsolete.

Anyway - it's a Conservative hold where I live - just copied and pasted this - - -

Conservative

(CON)

, with candidate Karen Lumley

, have the following results:

• 20,771 total votes taken.
  • 47.1% share of the total vote
  • +3.6% change in share of the votes

Labour

(LAB)

, with candidate Rebecca Blake, have the following results:

• 13,717 total votes taken.
  • 31.1% share of the total vote
  • +0.9% change in share of the votes

UKIP

(UKIP)

, with candidate Peter Jewell, have the following results:

• 7,133 total votes taken.
  • 16.2% share of the total vote
  • +12.8% change in share of the votes

Liberal Democrat

(LD)

, with candidate Hilary Myers, have the following results:

• 1,349 total votes taken.
  • 3.1% share of the total vote
  • -14.5% change in share of the votes

Green Party

(GRN)

, with candidate Kevin White, have the following results:

• 960 total votes taken.
  • 2.2% share of the total vote
  • +1.3% change in share of the votes

Independent

(IND)

, with candidate Seth Colton, have the following results:

• 168 total votes taken.
  • 0.4% share of the total vote
  • +0.4%
  • e

edit to add - like just about everywhere else UKIP has the biggest increase in popularity percentage wise -

+12.8% change in share of the votes

further edit - in England that is - it has to be SNP in Scotland and haven't seen the Welsh/NI results yet -

Edited by bee

In terms of votes nationwide, they are the 3rd biggest party - and when they do the arrow thing to show a decrease or increase in support they seem

to always be the party that has the biggest increase in support - but it isn't translated into seats -

Make of that what you will -

Indeed, see results above. Third with a very healthy amount of votes, and not too far behind the labour party, and the libdems are absolutely nowhere. If people want to talk about not at all relevant to the british publick, perhaps they should look at the lidbems. Edited by Norbert Dentressangle

Mr Clegg held his, but said he would discuss his position as party leader with colleagues on Friday.

As of 0915 BST the party was holding eight seats, and had lost 46.

It had 57 seats in the House of Commons in 2010.

Dearie me :blush:

Edited by Norbert Dentressangle

Guest Br Cornelius

If that does indeed come to be the mood of the country in five years, do you think that they'll all turn to the Labour party? Do you think they're really likely to be able to rebuild themselves to that extent? Perhaps the labour party has had its day, perhaps it's an anachronism now. NewLabour showed how disastrous attempts to turn it into a low-calorie version of the Conservative party turned out to be, and the utter failure of Ed Millimetre's attempt to turn it back into an old fashioned State control, power to the Unions labour party shows perhaps that that concept is an obsolete one now. It really does seem that the Labour party is simply obsolete.

Again you are over dramatizing for effect. the failure of labour to win this time is almost entirely due to the rise of the SNP. Take scotland away and the labour party was always in exactly the same position as they are now. What you are asking is for a party to come out of nowhere in five years and satisfy some middle ground. the Libdem's shows thats never going to happen so it really still looks like its Labour or Conservative for the foreseeable future. Hatred of the Tories will grow, just as it did with the Thatcher era and infighting within the Tory party means that the chances of them holding power with such a slim majority for the full 5 years is small.

Br Cornelius

Earlier in the evening, Lord Ashdown said he would "publicly eat his hat" if predictions the party would lose 47 seats were correct.

He told the BBC this was a "certain error" and the party's own polling indicated it would fare better.

Curry sauce for Mr. Ashdown!

• Like 1

Again you are over dramatizing for effect. the failure of labour to win this time is almost entirely due to the rise of the SNP. Take scotland away and the labour party was always in exactly the same position as they are now. What you are asking is for a party to come out of nowhere in five years and satisfy some middle ground. the Libdem's shows thats never going to happen so it really still looks like its Labour or Conservative for the foreseeable future. Hatred of the Tories will grow, just as it did with the Thatcher era and infighting within the Tory party means that the chances of them holding power with such a slim majority for the full 5 years is small.

Br Cornelius

So people will turn back to Labour, are you hoping for another Blair to rise as the new Messiah once again, or are you hoping that people will turn back to the old Labour state ownership and power to the Unions ways? You're hoping that the nation will be stuck forever with that tired old dreary old choice?

My thought for today!

post-111376-0-21109500-1431075372_thumb.

Indeed, see results above. Third with a very healthy amount of votes, and not too far behind the labour party, and the libdems are absolutely nowhere. If people want to talk about not at all relevant to the british publick, perhaps they should look at the lidbems.

Yeah - you can't blame the LibDem supporters falling away - when Nick Clegg turned them into a Rent-a-Coalition Government Party-

Conservative, Labour he didn't mind which one he propped up - but look at the good it did him propping up the Conservatives -

they turned on him and the Lib Dems and now they are practically history -