Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The UK General Election - May 7th 2015

bee

Yeah - you can't blame the LibDem supporters falling away - when Nick Clegg turned them into a Rent-a-Coalition Government Party-

Conservative, Labour he didn't mind which one he propped up - but look at the good it did him propping up the Conservatives -

they turned on him and the Lib Dems and now they are practically history -

I think his best bit of hubris was when he promised, if he was invited to form a Colation, to be "the heart of the Conservative party, and the brains of the Labour party". Way to ingratiate yourself with both of them there, Nick.

Earlier in the evening, Lord Ashdown said he would "publicly eat his hat" if predictions the party would lose 47 seats were correct.

He told the BBC this was a "certain error" and the party's own polling indicated it would fare better.

Curry sauce for Mr. Ashdown!

:w00t:

• Like 1

Personally, I think it all started to go wrong with the Boston Tea Party fiasco. No coming back from that.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Susanc241

Phew! Now let's see if I can get a refund on this one-way airline ticket.

• Like 3

Guest Br Cornelius

So people will turn back to Labour, are you hoping for another Blair to rise as the new Messiah once again, or are you hoping that people will turn back to the old Labour state ownership and power to the Unions ways? You're hoping that the nation will be stuck forever with that tired old dreary old choice?

I am not particularly hoping for anything with regard to labour - but a permanent incumbent Tory party will take the country to a very bad place very quickly.

There is no real alternative to a resurgent Labour party.

Br Cornelius

Let us now await the promise Mr.Cameron made before the election, to give the U.K. a referendum on leaving the Euro's to their own sneaky devices.Us true Long history Brits (not the recent imported people who call themselves Brit and can hardly speak English )do Not want to be ruled by some slobs in Europe.

• Like 1

Phew! Now let's see if I can get a refund on this one-way airline ticket.

Hi me old mate, you didn't invite me to come along with you ,but seeing that the Blues still rule I'll call a rain check for 5 years.
  • Like 2

Nigel didn't get in - :cry:

I guess we shall now find him in some sleazy pub drowning his sorrows, but at least he tried so I'm giving him a Brownie point
  • Like 1

I guess we shall now find him in some sleazy pub drowning his sorrows, but at least he tried so I'm giving him a Brownie point

I just listened to him after the result was announced - and he's ok - says he is happy and that a huge weight has

been lifted from his shoulders -

he did seem below par at the beginning of the campaign and admitted as much - he was advised by his doctor to slow

down so he did -

now I think I've got this right - he survived a plane crash, a car crash and cancer - and he has worked his socks off for

UKIP - so perhaps in a way this WAS a good result for him as a man but obviously a big big loss to the Party -

As Cameron has promised a referendum about Europe - and this was probably because of the pressure from UKIP

- he had to retain a lot of votes by promising this -

now it will be the Conservatives who will have to cope with the fall out whichever way the referendum vote goes -

• Like 2

Now that we have sorted out Ed and Nick we have to face an attack from the Flowers of Scotland

Farage gone

Clegg gone

Just waiting for Ed and his buddy Balls to go now.

• Like 2

Farage gone

Clegg gone

Just waiting for Ed and his buddy Balls to go now.

You've got your wish, it seems. Pity that self-righteous pixie Mrs.Balls has got back in though.

I wonder if UKIP will start campaigning for PR now :tu:

Br Cornelius

Well what a night, I was working a night shift and was keeping up with proceedings in my break times. the BBC app on the phone was excellent. - I'll start with UKIP, the positives are this, they gained one seat compared to last time. secondly their performance in this election has been the best by any small party since the war. They finished in Third place in a general election. and that fact shouldn't be ignored. Nigel Farage gave it is all. He's led the party from nowhere to Third in a general election. - He might have resigned as Party leader, But have we seen the last of him. Not on your Nelly. like a wounded political warrior he'll lay there and bleed for a bit, before rising once again. His Party will continue to raise the issues people want raising. - But the question has to be, Has David Cameron shot UKIP's fox with the 2017 Referendum on our EU membership. This referendum is going to happen now thanks to the tories having a majority.

David Cameron a shrewd operator, He's played the game for what its worth, and won. He's not only shot UKIP's fox but he's destroyed the Lib Dems. Labour and put the SNP into irrelevance. We had the SNP Nicola Sturgeon talking as the King Makers. they thought they'd hold the power over the UK Parliament. They thought they'd dictate. - for all their hard work and great performance in Scotland, they still sit in the House of Commons powerless to control government. So Cameron has not just won an outright victory, He's just won a conservative majority for the first time since 1997. But its the way he's done it, slaying all before him. Miliband -GONE, Clegg GONE, Farage GONE, SNP Scotland. thought they'd be king makers, not gone but also rans. Trident Renewal, powerless to stop it. powerless to force a Second Scottish Referendum. Powerless to stop the EU referendum. in short powerless for Scotland. - No need for English votes for English MP's No need to give Scotland greater powers the SNP wanted and thought they could force through.

IT was vote Tory get Tory. All in all it's a great day in England. Lets just hope the Tories tackle the tough issues facing this Nation and the failed politics.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

Do you think there's any point continuing with the libdem party? There's all the usual speculation about who might take over from little nick clegg, but really is there any point? They may as well wind it up, surely.

Do you think there's any point continuing with the libdem party? There's all the usual speculation about who might take over from little nick clegg, but really is there any point? They may as well wind it up, surely.

they'll carry on, they do after all have eight MP's, so someone will have to be the leader, The biggest problem for the Lib Dems was they where always the party of protest, you could elect them even if you didn't agree with their policies, because you knew they'd never get anywhere near the seats of power to enact their policies. When they entered into the Con/Lib Dem coalition that all changed, no longer being a safe party to vote for in protest people switched and the bottom fell out of their vote.

All the talk about another coalition government, and the polls telling us for weeks it was going to be another hung parliament had us all fooled including the political parties, especially the SNP. that's the biggest victory for me, Alex Salmond - Westminster is going to hear the Scottish lion roar. erm, NO, Nicola Sturgeon as well, thinking she'd rule the roost, offering to do deals with Labour. We'll make sure the Tories dont get re-elected, and then go on to wipe Labour out in Scotland making sure the Tories win. - Its worth remembering her conversation with the French ambassador of which she refuted. But having a Tory government will help the SNP at home, you can see it now, the SNP versus the evil Tories, and when the SNP make a mess of Scotland, for which they will, it'll be convenient to blame it on the Tory party.

Br Cornelius

I personally think UKIP have done well with 4 million votes and 1 seat. I didn't expect much more, not until the next two general elections anyway. The only criticism I have with them is they stood in 620 seats instead of pooling all of their resources into 100. While it would have resulted in less votes they would have won more seats. I think Farage is making a huge mistake resigning.

Labour was not a disaster although it will be more difficult for them in elections from now on as the SNP will split their vote. I think the only strong and charismatic leader they have is Harriet Harman (at least compared to the other options). Nick Clegg glad to see him go as I've never had any respect for him.

Well done Cameron. He will perform well until 2017 when in-fighting will start over the EU referendum. As he loses MPs over it then mall majority of 10 votes will lead to the collapse of his Government (unless he withdraws his pledge of a referendum). He will be gone in 2017 or if he fails to deliver out at the next general election.

• Like 1

:w00t:

The usual outcomes over here for such rash predictions is a shaved head or some other silliness :) I don't keep up with UK politics (It's more than enough to be depressed over our own :( ) but I must say I'm glad that Mr Galloway can now devote his full time to working professionally for Al Jazeera or some such instead of having the gravitas of an MP behind his spewing of hatred for Israel.
  • Like 2

We definitely need some kind of electoral reform.

Whichever party it is, it can't be right that they receive 1 in 8 votes nationally, but end up with 1 seat out of 650.

Edited by Blurfoot

We definitely need some kind of electoral reform.

Whichever party it is, it can't be right that they receive 1 in 8 votes nationally, but end up with 1 seat out of 650.

Well, the system is designed to produce a majority government. the simple fact is the current system works and has done for well over a century. a bit of a bump with the 2010 hung parliament. - its proved today - yet again it is the right system of Governance for the UK. No doubt the system will be debated because the bandwagon is passing and inevitable you get jumpers on.

If you want to win, you set your course to the system. We in the UK don't need to go changing the system. No, UKIP don't need to change the system in order to win. give them time, and they'll win under the current system, - the right way.

If we did have PR voting it would distort the results and the ability of government to govern, we'd end up with multiple coalition governments in succession. No, No, the Mother of all parliaments has the right system. :tu:

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 3

Great to see that progressives are being obliterated on both sides of the Atlantic. Historic losses for the progressives in the UK and USA mean that people are finally waking u and realizing that their polices just don't work and in all cases make things worse. Only sad thing in the US is that the democrat leadership didn't quit here too although Dingy Harry is calling it quits soon.

• Like 4

Great to see that progressives are being obliterated on both sides of the Atlantic. Historic losses for the progressives in the UK and USA mean that people are finally waking u and realizing that their polices just don't work and in all cases make things worse. Only sad thing in the US is that the democrat leadership didn't quit here too although Dingy Harry is calling it quits soon.

Really depend where you look. Didn't Greece elected a far-left, anti-austerity governement back in January?

And well, here in Canada we had the most Conservative province (Alberta) that had a Tory gov for more than 40 years just switch this week to a house majority for the NDP, a Center-Left progressive party. This was a shock for many people.

I guess this is a thing in fluctuation, when people are truly disastisfied with the current state of affairs they look elsewhere. Call it democracy at work.

Edited by samus
  • Like 1

Really depend where you look. Didn't Greece elected a far-left, anti-austerity governement back in January?

And well, here in Canada we had the most Conservative province (Alberta) that had a Tory gov for more than 40 years just switch this week to a house majority for the NDP, a Center-Left progressive party. This was a shock for many people.

I guess this is a thing in fluctuation, when people are truly disastisfied with the current state of affairs they look elsewhere. Call it democracy at work.

I never said all countries are tossing progressives out, just the two major players on the Atlantic seaboard.

• Like 2