Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scottish National Animal is a Unicorn

Ozfactor

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/scotland-has-launched-a-campaign-to-have-the-loch-ness-monster-recognised-as-its-national-animal/story-fnjwkt0b-1227319156044

A CAMPAIGN to have the Loch Ness monster recognised as the national animal of Scotland has been launched at a tourism show.

Inverness cruise company Loch Ness by Jacobite is spearheading the drive to see Nessie replace the unicorn which is currently the country’s national animal, a legacy from William I’s decision to use the mythical creature on his coat of arms.

The first sighting of the Loch Ness monster dates back to 565AD and the question of whether or not she exists is said to be worth millions each year to Scottish tourism.

Members of the public are being urged to sign a petition which will be presented to the Scottish Government in an effort to secure Nessie’s place as national animal.

• Like 3

So as imaginary as their chance of Independence then ;)

• Like 3

I'm not Scottish so it probably isn't my place to comment but I think Nessie makes a lot more sense than a unicorn. If you were to ask the average Joe what animal they think of when you say Scotland I bet a high percentage would say the Loch Ness or Nessie. I'd like to hear what someone from Scotland thinks about this but considering the country's national animal is already a mythical creature I don't think that part would be the problem and Nessie does bring in a lot of money from tourism.

• Like 4

Is this another of Ms Fandabbydozy's daft ideas?

In Celtic mythology, the Unicorn of Scotland "symbolized innocence and purity, healing powers, joy and even life itself, and was also seen as a symbol of masculinity and power". (Nessie's just one half of "Large cod n' chips, please!")

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 5

is this proof that scotch whiskey is the most potent on earth?

• Like 2

In Celtic mythology, the Unicorn of Scotland "symbolized innocence and purity, healing powers, joy and even life itself, and was also seen as a symbol of masculinity and power". (Nessie's just one half of "Large cod n' chips, please!")

I didn't know that ealdwita. That's very cool. :tu:
  • Like 1

A sheep would be more apt.

Nah that's the welsh

But yea what a brilliant idea, next up is that Tibet chooses the Yeti, and so on, and so forth...

• Like 4

A sheep would be more apt.

That's a major memory for me driving from Turnberry to Edinburgh to Stirling and then over to St. Andrews and when we went up and ate at a restaurant *on* Loch Ness. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the restaurant. I remember seeing so many sheep. Beautiful country. I had an excellent time there :tu:
  • Like 4

I'm not Scottish so it probably isn't my place to comment but I think Nessie makes a lot more sense than a unicorn. If you were to ask the average Joe what animal they think of when you say Scotland I bet a high percentage would say the Loch Ness or Nessie. I'd like to hear what someone from Scotland thinks about this but considering the country's national animal is already a mythical creature I don't think that part would be the problem and Nessie does bring in a lot of money from tourism.

Totally agree!

• Like 1

That's a major memory for me driving from Turnberry to Edinburgh to Stirling and then over to St. Andrews and when we went up and ate at a restaurant *on* Loch Ness. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the restaurant. I remember seeing so many sheep. Beautiful country. I had an excellent time there :tu:

Someday I hope to go back and explore more of Scotland than on previous visits. Have only gone as far north as Edinburgh! Did see a lot of sheep at the stone circle at Avebury though, where I had a picnic!

• Like 3

Someday I hope to go back and explore more of Scotland than on previous visits. Have only gone as far north as Edinburgh! Did see a lot of sheep at the stone circle at Avebury though, where I had a picnic!

Yes, this is one place I would love to go back as well. I love the relaxed atmosphere and the history and the people were all so very nice :tu:
  • Like 1

1076mxi.jpg
  • Like 5

I'm confused! I thought the national animal of Scotland was the haggis.

Nuts, beat me to it...

• Like 2

I wonder.... Does Jacobite Cruises go on Loch Ness? Just a thought due to a cynical mindset and progression to why such a company would push for such a thing!

• Like 1

1076mxi.jpg

It's so funny this is coming up right now. The book I'm reading Outlander has a chapter on the Waterhorse and I'm just now learning about the Kelpie. How weird that all of this is being talked about or out in front of me in the last 24 hours. Cool coincidences :tu: And I love that picture. It's beautiful and mysterious. Thank you!!

I wonder.... Does Jacobite Cruises go on Loch Ness? Just a thought due to a cynical mindset and progression to why such a company would push for such a thing!

Yes

https://www.jacobite.co.uk/

I think they should change it to Nessie, because the monster is pretty central when it comes to them anyway.

No one claims to see unicorns there, so Nessie would be an obvious choice :)

So, to add to the Waterhorse/Kelpie oddness...I left here to do some things then started watching TV. On the Starz channel there's a movie on called The Water Horse from 2007 and I'm watching it now. Why all of the sudden am I being bombed with things about WaterHorses? :lol::mellow:

• Like 1

I'm glad you brought up the symbolism. Sounds like they want to make a Levathan the new symbol instead of the Unicorn. No wonder the Unicorn isn't sighted there any more! What will be next Japan's national animal will be Godzilla? LOL

It's so funny this is coming up right now. The book I'm reading Outlander has a chapter on the Waterhorse and I'm just now learning about the Kelpie. How weird that all of this is being talked about or out in front of me in the last 24 hours. Cool coincidences :tu: And I love that picture. It's beautiful and mysterious. Thank you!!

Synchronicity is awesome!

All good folklore expresses the present whilst drawing from the past. Loch Ness Monster --> Water-horse (Kelpie) --> Unicorn: conceptually, it's not much of a stretch...

• Like 1

Synchronicity is awesome!

All good folklore expresses the present whilst drawing from the past. Loch Ness Monster --> Water-horse (Kelpie) --> Unicorn: conceptually, it's not much of a stretch...

Yes I had THAT happen and then came across the Movie while just flipping through channels. Thank you for this. I'm off to fully read and digest it. I have this sort of thing happen a lot to me so it will be cool to read what Jung says about it. :tu: Seriously, thanks. :)

Edit to add one more thing so you get the full impact of this to me. I took my son to the doctor yesterday with my Outlander book to read in the waiting room (read the chapter on the Waterhorse there) and the girl who worked the front desk was from Scotland. Now come on, I'm in the USA in Maryland and I never see anyone here from Scotland WITH a full blown Scottish accent. She and I talked about the book and all and then I read the Waterhorse chapter while in that waiting room. So there have been more than just what I have posted here happening. It's sort of crazy. It's all bombarding me :P

Edited by She-ra
  • Like 1