Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there a tomb in this pre-Aztec pyramid

seeder

Will secret tunnel inside the bowels of pre-Aztec pyramid reveal long-lost tomb of Teotihuacan's first king? Archaeologists find 'large quantities' of liquid mercury used in primitive burial

Mexican archaeologist found mercury in a chamber of Teotihuacan pyramid

The chamber had been sealed at the end of a tunnel for nearly 1,800 years

Because of the potential supernatural significance of liquid mercury in ritual ends, archaeologist Sergio Gomez hopes to find king's tomb in pyramid

Teotihuacan, or 'abode of the gods' in the Aztec language of Nahuatl, was distinct from the Mayan civilization

Gomez has been working in the tunnel for six years and has found thousands of artifacts

The excavation of the chambers should be finished by October, Gomez said

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3054296/Hunt-ancient-royal-tomb-Mexico-takes-mercurial-twist.html#ixzz3YN5mzgTk

• Like 5

Hmmmm how delicious. I'll look forward to seeing what they find.

• Like 1

Hmmmm how delicious. I'll look forward to seeing what they find.

Nothing like a hint at a good find is there? Involving tunnels and ancient structures..

Nothing like a hint at a good find is there? Involving tunnels and ancient structures..

And snakes....

• Like 3

How intriguing , where does liquid mercury come from , how unstable/dangerous is it ( gladly, my chemistry knowledge is almost a zero , I would sneak out for cigarettes during that class ) but mercury in a chamber 60 feet below ground under a pyramid sounds thrilling . I am captivated when I see mercury rolling , balling and reflecting , so I can imagine it would be highly entertaining for the ancients , not to mention surrounded by superstition and possibly reverence ?

Great post , I will follow this because it would be wonderful if they do find a tomb x

• Like 3

Is the mercury from a mirror? Didn't they bury mirrors so the dead could travel to the underworlds? Very cool Seeder :tu:

• Like 1

How intriguing , where does liquid mercury come from , how unstable/dangerous is it ( gladly, my chemistry knowledge is almost a zero , I would sneak out for cigarettes during that class ) but mercury in a chamber 60 feet below ground under a pyramid sounds thrilling . I am captivated when I see mercury rolling , balling and reflecting , so I can imagine it would be highly entertaining for the ancients , not to mention surrounded by superstition and possibly reverence ?

Great post , I will follow this because it would be wonderful if they do find a tomb x

Mercury I believe is mined as an ore and processed into the liquid version.

Anyhoo, mercury in a tomb is interesting. It was also found in China!

Buried deep under a hill in central China, surrounded by an underground moat of poisonous mercury, lies an entombed emperor who's been undisturbed for more than two millennia.

http://www.livescience.com/22454-ancient-chinese-tomb-terracotta-warriors.html

• Like 3

So tomb of Qin Shi Huang has been located at long last.

Those canny coves the Chinese cunning concealed him in Mexico! No wonder no one found him in China.

• Like 1

I asked a phD chemist how dangerous mercury was and was told metallic mercury is not particularly dangerous (not that you should try to drink it), rather it is oxides of mercury that are very toxic and cause neurological problems such as the "mad hatter's disease" that makers of felt hats used to get from exposure to mercuric nitrate.

Then I asked why the push to take it off the market, as in thermostats which had metallic mercury contacts in them? I was told it was because you can make a powerful explosive in combination with other substance which I will not go into, and this was common knowledge in his old school chemistry books, but no longer. In his opinion, that was the real reason for the misinformation and removal of metallic mercury from common items.

• Like 3

How intriguing , where does liquid mercury come from , how unstable/dangerous is it ( gladly, my chemistry knowledge is almost a zero , I would sneak out for cigarettes during that class )

2cdwd9w.jpg

:lol:

I heard a long time ago that there was also a pool under a pyramid in egypt does anyone know about this? The correlation makes me suspect that the structure has a purpose like a machine.

IIRC many Central American cultures structured their belief systems around water and the underworld, maybe the murcury is there to be a de facto river/senoté.

I heard a long time ago that there was also a pool under a pyramid in egypt does anyone know about this? The correlation makes me suspect that the structure has a purpose like a machine.

...I head that, too, in a short story written by Harry Houdini and ghostwritten by HP Lovecraft. Nothing about it inspired me to mistake it for reality, though.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

Hi hope you lot understand this. Its been 30 years since i studied chemistry at school and what i say is very loose and said from a laymans point of view. Mercury is very low in the reactivity table. In other words if its oxidized one of the elements above will pinch the oxygen atoms connected to a Mercury atom. Mercury Oxide heated with Hydrogen say will create water HO2. (steam) Its why you get Iorn and Co2 (Carbon dioxide) when you heat Rust and Carbon in air. (Smelting) Carbon is more reactive than Manganese and its inbetween Aluminium and Manganese on this chart. Remember the school chemistry lab experiment where raw Sodium and Potassium is dropped into some water. The Sodium fizzes because its stealing the Oxygen from the Hydrogen atoms, Potassium catches fire because its higher in the reativity table and the reaction is even faster. If you look at a chemical elements chart you see columns going downwards. Each element going downwards has simiular properties to the one above and is more reactive than the one above. Those on the same level going to the right are less reactive in turn, at the end you get the noble gases. Helium, Argon Neon and so on. These are virtually but not absulutely inert. Chuck Cesium into water and it'll explode. Silicon has simiular properties to Carbon and its why some forms of Silicon lifeform is possible. However Co2 is a gas whereas Silicon Oxide is a solid. It wouldn't be able to breathe the stuff out but i see no reason for it not taking a regular dump and leaving little Silicon Oxide pellets in the form of a slime behind it all the time. As for Mercury its reactivity is low but you can use it in a battery for example with a metal higher on the table. When i talk about Oxygen however this is just an example as other elements can act as an oxidant. Sodium Chloride for example is Sodium metal oxidised with Chlorine gas. Caution. Do not use the two charts i have mentioned for experiments at home, say with a blowtorch. Some of the reactions that occur with carbon, common metals, and their oxides can be very dangerous and extremely vigiourous.

post-143164-0-79409200-1430092457_thumb.

Edited by cyclopes500
  • Like 2

It wasn't under the pyramid in Egypt. It was under one of the Chinese pyramids/mounds that a warlord was buried under, along with a cavern adorned with gemstones.

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 1

This Mercury wouldn't be all that was left of a giant battery pack would it with the pyramid itself as the insulator? I'm talking about thousands of cells wrapped up in paper and stuff like it saturated with another liquid. If so the sparks it would generate could be picked up using a form of crystal set. Something like the Baghdad battery but containing Mercury? Like the Spark generator used to transmit Morse code across the Atlantic at the turn of the 20th century? Possibly even charged by a lightning bolt?

This Mercury wouldn't be all that was left of a giant battery pack would it with the pyramid itself as the insulator?

Unlikely. What would the pyramid be insulating from?

I'm talking about thousands of cells wrapped up in paper and stuff like it saturated with another liquid. If so the sparks it would generate could be picked up using a form of crystal set.

Again, unlikely. Mercury batteries are fairly flat arc low-voltage producers. The amount of energy they give out would be completely dissipated by the amount of energy regularly flashing through all layers of the atmosphere. Honestly, I'm not completely sure if it would have the power to overcome the normal static build-up from a regular storm.

Something like the Baghdad battery but containing Mercury? Like the Spark generator used to transmit Morse code across the Atlantic at the turn of the 20th century? Possibly even charged by a lightning bolt?

Mercury batteries aren't chargeable, to my understanding. Such a thing would result in hydrogen discharge, leading to a likely explosion (I could be radically wrong about that).

I asked a phD chemist how dangerous mercury was and was told metallic mercury is not particularly dangerous (not that you should try to drink it), rather it is oxides of mercury that are very toxic and cause neurological problems such as the "mad hatter's disease" that makers of felt hats used to get from exposure to mercuric nitrate.

Then I asked why the push to take it off the market, as in thermostats which had metallic mercury contacts in them? I was told it was because you can make a powerful explosive in combination with other substance which I will not go into, and this was common knowledge in his old school chemistry books, but no longer. In his opinion, that was the real reason for the misinformation and removal of metallic mercury from common items.

I'm glad I was a kid when they had real chemistry sets and lots of ingredients to be bought over counter, I remember they even had one that came with a geiger counter! You brought back many memories of bunson burner, distillations, glass tubes, and blow torch. Many beautiful rainbow explosions but alas no gold, I did create some very pretty crystals and weird metals but no gold :( I got bored with the chemistry experiements in the book and knew I wasn't going to be like Einstein so I thought what next ..I tried alchemy at 10. My poor father never knew what my next experiment would bring LOL.

• Like 1

This Mercury wouldn't be all that was left of a giant battery pack would it with the pyramid itself as the insulator?

What would a battery have powered way back then? :lol:

What would a battery have powered way back then? :lol:

Long range morse code machine judging by Cyc's comments. Interesting idea, shades of Mysterious Cities of Gold.

• Like 1

It's on one of the community stations here STM, holds up well.