Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Military's Self-Steering Bullets

She-ra

In what some might consider a terrifying development, the U.S. militaryicon1.png has passed a key milestone in creating self-steering bullets.

Using technologylb_icon1.png developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), experienced and novice shooters alike demonstrated that they could hit moving targets during a series of tests in February, agency officials announced yesterday (April 27).

Read more here and watch video: http://www.livescience.com/50648-darpa-self-steering-bullets.html

• Like 3

More here:

'Smart Bullet' Hits Targets On The Run | Video

DARPA’s Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance (EXACTO) program successfully guided .50 caliber bullets to hit a moving target. The bullets' guidance system compensates for weathericon1.png, wind and target movement

Link: http://www.livescience.com/50647-smart-bullet-hits-targets-on-the-run-video.html

Cool.

That's the great thing about modern military technology. By increasing the effectiveness of the weapon, you reduce collateral damage and danger to non-combatants. War becomes more surgical and less savage.

• Like 1

That's only terrifying if you are an enemy of America. Less bullets wasted. Hit more targets. Far more accuracy. Awesome development.

impressive technologically .... but war and killing each other is completely "savage" no matter how accurate it gets.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

This whole thing reminded me of the movie "Wanted" when I first read it. Remember how she could bend the bullets mid-air to hit the targets she was trying to hit? Not sure why I thought of that - the two really aren't related.

I don't like *war* either lightly but I do like to follow technology and what sort of developments are happening. I really like the point aquatus1 made:

...you reduce collateral damage and danger to non-combatants. War becomes more surgical and less savage.

edit spelling

Edited by She-ra
  • Like 2

I hate to be a downer, but this is old technology. This must be what lee Harvey Oswald used to assassinate JFK, remember The Magic Bullet?

• Like 1

According to the article it was formally announced April 27th? See link. Sorry I didn't know anything about this before this article in a technology site and I didn't see anything about this posted anywhere on the forums so I thought it was a good share :)

this is far too expensive to ever make it to the front line!

I cant even see it being beneficial for more of a sniper roll! a good marksman/sniper already knows how to make allowances for bullet trajectory over distance. Compensating for Crosswinds, drop, temperature, moving targets are all done in the blink of an eye for a professional marksman!

i fail to see the practical use for this kind of bullet

• Like 1

So now we have military grade aimbots.

Had the same thought....think these scientists played Counter Strike w/cheating one too many times...

Edited by Aardvark-DK

Reminds me of the bullets used by the Gene Simmons character in the 1984 movie "Runaway".

e.g.

http ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMboVN12r0

Edited by SD455GTO
  • Like 1

I cant even see it being beneficial for more of a sniper roll! a good marksman/sniper already knows how to make allowances for bullet trajectory over distance. Compensating for Crosswinds, drop, temperature, moving targets are all done in the blink of an eye for a professional marksman!

I get it father :tu: I love shooting and I'm quite the marksman myself :P I'm fascinated by guns. Here you go. This is me with my dual barrel Mossberg (500). Hubby and I go shooting together. It's rather relaxing and self-empowering for me :) I do not hunt. I just like guns. We usually go to the gun shows around here too.

11t6flf.jpg

I get it father :tu: I love shooting and I'm quite the marksman myself :P I'm fascinated by guns. Here you go. This is me with my dual barrel Mossberg (500). Hubby and I go shooting together. It's rather relaxing and self-empowering for me :) I do not hunt. I just like guns. We usually go to the gun shows around here too.

11t6flf.jpg

You are a dark horse!

I didnt take you to be a firearm enthusiast! ive got a mossberg maverick, they are the best pump actions ive ever used!

is that the 500 tactical you have? Its hard to tell from the photo?

• Like 1

Cool.

That's the great thing about modern military technology. By increasing the effectiveness of the weapon, you reduce collateral damage and danger to non-combatants. War becomes more surgical and less savage.

War should never become too easy. We're moving closer to the Star Trek:TOS episode where the computers on two planets waged the war while the people obediently walked into disintegration booths like cattle.
  • Like 1

You are a dark horse!

I didnt take you to be a firearm enthusiast! ive got a mossberg maverick, they are the best pump actions ive ever used!

is that the 500 tactical you have? Its hard to tell from the photo?

Yes and Yes!!!! I love guns. I don't like violence or anything of that sort and definitely not killing animals but I love shooting guns and the power behind it and the feeling you get, you know? I also have an air compressed (Co2 powered) very fancy BB Gun and a BB rifle. The gun has a nice grip and I used that more than the rifle. If I could I would love to get the Springfield DXM-9 Here a shot I took of one I almost purchased but they are quite expensive:

mhq1ld.jpg

The grip was really nice on this one for me and the weight was perfect. I might get a revolver with no hammer (they do well in a purse) but they all seemed so light. I need a little weight behind it, you know?

You are a dark horse!

Oh there are lots of things you don't know about me :P

• Like 1

Yes and Yes!!!! I love guns. I don't like violence or anything of that sort and definitely not killing animals but I love shooting guns and the power behind it and the feeling you get, you know? I also have an air compressed (Co2 powered) very fancy BB Gun and a BB rifle. The gun has a nice grip and I used that more than the rifle. If I could I would love to get the Springfield DXM-9 Here a shot I took of one I almost purchased but they are quite expensive:

mhq1ld.jpg

The grip was really nice on this one for me and the weight was perfect. I might get a revolver with no hammer (they do well in a purse) but they all seemed so light. I need a little weight behind it, you know?

Oh there are lots of things you don't know about me :P

I can highly recommend the browning HP, its a fantastic personal piece, saved my ass on more than one occasion!,

That Springfield is a nice little piece too! Very easy to conceal! The Colt Mustang XSP or Beretta Nano are a good choice aswell, they are both more suited to the smaller hand,

Do you have any rifles?

• Like 1

Gene Simmons did it first.

Yes he did!

War should never become too easy. We're moving closer to the Star Trek:TOS episode where the computers on two planets waged the war while the people obediently walked into disintegration booths like cattle.

That's a little bit like worrying about going to the gym because you might become muscle-bound.

I can highly recommend the browning HP, its a fantastic personal piece, saved my ass on more than one occasion!,

That Springfield is a nice little piece too! Very easy to conceal! The Colt Mustang XSP or Beretta Nano are a good choice aswell, they are both more suited to the smaller hand,

Do you have any rifles?

I just have the BB rifle I talked about earlier and the hand Co2 powered BB gun. I do not own any *real* rifle, just the BB. I will take a pic later of it and show it to you. I do like the wood handles on some of the Browning High Powered gun's I've seen and the grips were okay to me. I have a small hand but long fingers so it's been hard to find one that feels very comfortable for me. Oh, I've held many Beretta's I think the one I liked was the 8,000? Hmm can't remember. I didn't like how small the Nano was and it was just too small for me. Buying a gun is like finding the perfect pair of jeans for me :lol: I have to say, without a doubt, my favorite of all I've tried so far is the Springfield.

Really?

Here's one: Reducing the need for the extensive time, money, and effort it takes to create a professional marksman with the experience and skill to compensate for wind, drop, temperature, and moving targets in the blink of an eye, all while in the middle of a war zone.

Here's another: Reduces the necessity of the "spray-and-pray" tactic, which reduces the amount of ammo used in a given firefight, which reduces the chances of collateral damage.

A third: Reduces the chances of stand-offs, where groups of fighters are literally stuck in place for hours on end, without knowing if the other group is dead, gone, or still there waiting for someone to stick their head up.

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 1