Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poltergeist drama sees actors spooked

UM-Bot

Actors working on a series about the Enfield poltergeist have reported strange occurrences on the set.

As one of the most compelling and chilling accounts of paranormal activity ever recorded, the case of the Enfield poltergeist remains shrouded in mystery and intrigue even to this day.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/281065/poltergeist-drama-sees-actors-spooked

• Like 2

Ohh I love it! I remember posting about this show being made. I find it interesting their equipment has become mysteriously faulty and they heard some EVP's without doing an actual *investigation*. Very interesting!

• Like 1

I would love to see that show, SKYHD seem to be just UK, I wonder if it is broadcast in America or streaming online?

To be sure, it is a curious declaration, both past and present.

Wonder if there is anything paranormal really going-on there.

I would love to see that show, SKYHD seem to be just UK, I wonder if it is broadcast in America or streaming online?

Don't know if the follow helps you, but here is a statement from a poster on http://www.expatforum.com/expats/america-expat-forum-expats-living-america/2557-how-get-sky-tv-usa.html

Hi Jane

I'm looking going out to San Diego in the spring and I've been in touch with a companyicon1.png called SkyTVGlobal. They are based in the UK but can provide a Sky system and programmes that can be viewd in HD in the states. The system allows you to record programmes so that you could watch them at the same tiome in the US as it would be in the UK.

My wife is a big Strictly fan so we will be able to sit down at teatime in the US and watch it 'live', so to speak. Look them up on the internet.

Best of luck with your move

Harry

I remember seeing a photo claiming of the levitation. Turned out to be the girl just jumping off the bed and having the photo snapped in mid-air. Then when sequencing the photos together, it depicts the exact movements of the kid in motion, from the jump to the landing. This made me believe the family were just looking for attention.

Utter hogwash, and the dailymail, even then, tried their hardest to bring attention to it. Faking anything they needed too.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx

Just like telling scary stories around a campfire.

The human mind is quite susceptible to environmental cues, and doesn't know a poltergeist from a flapping sheet from an actual predator hiding in the long grass. Put anyone to work in a field about aliens, ghosts, or monsters, and you will start to get reports of weird occurrences. It's part and parcel of the human psyche.

• Like 4

Just like telling scary stories around a campfire.

The human mind is quite susceptible to environmental cues, and doesn't know a poltergeist from a flapping sheet from an actual predator hiding in the long grass. Put anyone to work in a field about aliens, ghosts, or monsters, and you will start to get reports of weird occurrences. It's part and parcel of the human psyche.

^^ this makes the most sense to me. Could be a marketing ploy mixed with this.
  • Like 1

BOO! Did I get any of you? hugh? yah! Didnt expect that, I waited til it was real quiet then - hahahahaha!

• Like 1

Hard to believe ghost stories, but throw actors and and a up coming film? Can't believe it.

Hard to believe ghost stories, but throw actors and and a up coming film? Can't believe it.

I think nowadays they will make a film out of almost anything.

Cool, I like me some Timothy Spall..:)

As ghost stories go, a faulty camera isn't the scariest I've heard.

I was really looking forward to this drama - the Enfield poltergeist story used to terrify me, and remains intriguing and mysterious - but I was disappointed.

Amazing actors (especially the girl playing Janet), creepy, atmospheric, very well produced and scripted etc.; but it feels as though they squandered an opportunity to delve beneath the 'standard' version of the story, opting instead for a sort of Exorcist-meets-Poltergeist film without nuance in its approach to the claimed events.

Many of the events portrayed were either hugely exaggerated when compared to the original reports, or even simply invented. The film deals harshly with any sceptical characters, portraying them as closed-minded, self-serving and quite unpleasant; no consideration is given to their evidence or reasoning, and no room is left for the viewer to develop any view other than the very clear 'it's all real!' editorial position of the film-makers.

One of the most interesting elements of the Enfield case was the polarisation of observers' interpretations of what was happening: intelligent investigators witnessed similar events and came to wildly different conclusions. Three hour-long episodes should have afforded plenty of room to explore that situation, but the opportunity was missed. Similarly, I felt that the social and psychological issues were skirted around rather than met head-on - a tragedy, considering the stellar cast and performances from every single actor, all of whom were clearly more than capable of carrying off the necessary level of performance.

For anyone who's interested, I found this article by Will Storr to be an excellent summary of the weirdness of this case which persists to this day. Maybe the film-makers should have spoken to Storr first (or at least read his rather good Will Storr vs the Supernatural).