Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has Belief in Metaphysical Ruined Your Life?

ambelamba

That's what happened to me. Spectacularly. My life became utterly shamble because of my strong faith in supernatural and metaphysical.

Some people might wonder why I am so hostile to supernatural belief, and the reason is very personal. I gave into in and it practically destroyed my life.

One major problem was that my Asperger's made me take a lot of things literally. So not surprisingly I took Biblical miracles and promises literally. And as a result I faced death and complete destruction of my future plans.

I dunno. I am doing rather OK now. But I've been trying to rebuild my life after I threw away my supernatural faith into trash can.

• Like 4

That's what happened to me. Spectacularly. My life became utterly shamble because of my strong faith in supernatural and metaphysical.

Some people might wonder why I am so hostile to supernatural belief, and the reason is very personal. I gave into in and it practically destroyed my life.

One major problem was that my Asperger's made me take a lot of things literally. So not surprisingly I took Biblical miracles and promises literally. And as a result I faced death and complete destruction of my future plans.

I dunno. I am doing rather OK now. But I've been trying to rebuild my life after I threw away my supernatural faith into trash can.

I am glad you are doing better. I would say supernatural belief ruined my childhood, and left me motherless. But over the years I have made peace and have come to a new place. While I will not walk a religious path, I have found peace. I went through phases, I let them run there course, and gained a lot of self awareness. I think there can be incredible insight and growth from exploring ones anger, or whatever you are feeling. I think it takes courage, and I commend you for being so honest. Great post!

• Like 2

Supernatural belief is what made my life a thousand times better* than what it was before I became a believer.

*generalisation! :)

• Like 1

For 22 years I explored metaphysics and other paranormal phenomenon. It was a wonderful and at times disappointing ride. Still I explored life in all it weirdness. So I can't stay it ruined me. I'm still fascinated by life. I'm one of those "don't be skeptic till you try it types".

• Like 7

I wouldn't say ruined, I abandoned the idea of a supernatural creator when I was young.

• Like 3

Just wanted to add my similar sentiments and also say I'm glad Ambelamba came out the other side, as it were, still kicking. I can't say religion or metaphysical stuff "ruined my life", especially not where my own beliefs are/were concerned, since I was never very vehement about anything, spiritual or otherwise - but some friends and family members with strongly held beliefs (both some for religion and some for paranormal) make it very hard to hold conversations with them for any extended amount of time or frequently visit because they tend to be defensive and feel like I'm "attacking" them just by disagreeing or noting possible alternate explanations. For someone with very little social outlet, I guess it has definitely hindered my life significantly. I won't go into the broader ramifications of the fundamentalists and crazies in charge of government and public policy.

• Like 2

I do try to keep the metaphysics and science physics separate. I don't think metaphysics harmed me, it has actually been a lot of fun, but then I am not doing the Abrahamic type of metaphysics. I can see where that type would cause issues. (Been there done that, not doing it again.) What I do is very different mind set. The key is not to go off the deep end with it and keep you feet the ground. I have a friend who has gone off the deep end with it to the point of endangering herself and others with it. I am not riding in the car with her driving anymore.

• Like 2

Metaphysics is the same as bible stories and religious myth now ?

No, studying metaphysics (and actually knowing what it is) has not ruined my life at all. It has actually improved it !

Perhaps the 'Asperger's' had more to with that ...... hmmmm ?

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 3

As someone who came from a hardcore Materialist worldview I find Metaphysics interesting, it shows there are somethings that cannot be explained and how vast our universe is and that knowledge is limited. Mystery is fascinating. I am opened to spiritual experiences but I at the same time maintain a skeptical mind. I think a balance is needed.

• Like 2

Religion and mental health issues don't usually make for a very good cocktail. As with alcool, one need to go soft in this case.. In order to explore topics like metaphysics, the occult, paranormal ect you need the capacity and lucidity to discern, to use critical thinking, rationality and so the ability to sift through the dirt. Otherwise you risk being engulfed in a sea of fears, supersititions and disappointements which isn't extacly healthy for your mind. So one need to know where to 'hold off', to use skepticism and always entertain 'doubt' unless one has solid evidence from experience that can be counterchecked.

Edited by samus
  • Like 3

Test everything. Use that which works.

• Like 1

When someone's life has been hard, no matter what contributed to it, I hurt for them. So, I cannot give it a like. I am happy for those, if straight Atheistic thinking is what helped them, then that is good. :yes:

I'm with those like PA and others who have found varying beliefs, (like my own) who have found it to actually helped tremendously in my life. I often reflect how I wouldn't have gotten to where I have been without it. Of course, there are times that I wonder if it wouldn't have been even better, ( or sometimes I reflect my life is worse) if I didn't believe in it and I didn't think it actually did help. Then I think, I probably didn't want my life to lead, where I think others think I or myself should think it should lead.

I wonder if it's because I grew up secular, and I came by my belief by some form of realistic thinking, and yeah, by experimenting too. I guess also, I wanted to make sure I gave in to the reality of the situation too. I think my beliefs also gave me more confidence to work at my life. You know, I'm thinking, because it was not some form of authority telling me why I should follow a belief because they said so, but for me just telling me, or me causing me to be in tuned to my beliefs, so I feel like I'm not following something out of just numbly following it.

I think the key thing is, follow what your instincts tell you, which to me is probably with some, the Atheistic thinking, if it's what is going to help you in the end.

• Like 2

When someone's life has been hard, no matter what contributed to it, I hurt for them. So, I cannot give it a like. I am happy for those, if straight Atheistic thinking is what helped them, then that is good. :yes:

I'm with those like PA and others who have found varying beliefs, (like my own) who have found it to actually helped tremendously in my life. I often reflect how I wouldn't have gotten to where I have been without it. Of course, there are times that I wonder if it wouldn't have been even better, ( or sometimes I reflect my life is worse) if I didn't believe in it and I didn't think it actually did help. Then I think, I probably didn't want my life to lead, where I think others think I or myself should think it should lead.

I wonder if it's because I grew up secular, and I came by my belief by some form of realistic thinking, and yeah, by experimenting too. I guess also, I wanted to make sure I gave in to the reality of the situation too. I think my beliefs also gave me more confidence to work at my life. You know, I'm thinking, because it was not some form of authority telling me why I should follow a belief because they said so, but for me just telling me, or me causing me to be in tuned to my beliefs, so I feel like I'm not following something out of just numbly following it.

I think the key thing is, follow what your instincts tell you, which to me is probably with some, the Atheistic thinking, if it's what is going to help you in the end.

What an interesting post S., I think you make a lot of great points, the biggest being what works for us as individuals is way what matters in the end. I really love the way you tend to see value in things even if it's not your path. You are truly a beautiful person. I think you are inspiring.

• Like 1

What an interesting post S., I think you make a lot of great points, the biggest being what works for us as individuals is way what matters in the end. I really love the way you tend to see value in things even if it's not your path. You are truly a beautiful person. I think you are inspiring.

The thing is, I see that in you. :blush::yes:

I know it's hard for everyone, I find it hard myself on certain days, but I think it's a better feeling and satisfaction when we see the beauty in other's lives and beliefs or non-beliefs, and then seeing that because you see the beauty and satisfaction on your own first.

Belief never ruined my life, but it definitely made it tricky. My Dad's side of the family are all Catholic (my Dad excluded), and he did his best to keep religion away from myself and my sister. He couldn't stop grandma from making her declarations, though; she would constantly threaten us with sin and damnation, decry musical tastes for being devil music, and other pleasant conversations. She drove me away from it as much as a person could, really. When I was a teenager, however, I explored the concept of religion by reading various religious texts, from multiple different religions, over the course of several years. I spoke to adherents of those religions, and came to the conclusion that religion didn't make any sense. All of the ones I interacted with were rife with contradictions, arrogance, and propaganda. It added nothing to my life. So, I turned away for good, and am happy with that course.

• Like 3

Belief never ruined my life, but it definitely made it tricky. My Dad's side of the family are all Catholic (my Dad excluded), and he did his best to keep religion away from myself and my sister. He couldn't stop grandma from making her declarations, though; she would constantly threaten us with sin and damnation, decry musical tastes for being devil music, and other pleasant conversations. She drove me away from it as much as a person could, really. When I was a teenager, however, I explored the concept of religion by reading various religious texts, from multiple different religions, over the course of several years. I spoke to adherents of those religions, and came to the conclusion that religion didn't make any sense. All of the ones I interacted with were rife with contradictions, arrogance, and propaganda. It added nothing to my life. So, I turned away for good, and am happy with that course.

Great post, I loved the way you have with words, it was interesting, and fun to read

• Like 1

There were perks to a lot of the metaphysical practices I under took. Over the years I developed a solid level of concentration and willpower. I can imagine something quite clearly as well as having improved my memory. I still feel that magick is just a form of self hypnosis. Which is kinda cool if you really think about it. We're programming our beliefs, setting intents into motion within our subconscious. Altering how we perceive reality. Sure the results might be just confirmation bias and/or self-fulfilling prophecy, but you chose to fine tune your awareness into searching for what you desired. Which I think is pretty awesome.

• Like 2

There were perks to a lot of the metaphysical practices I under took. Over the years I developed a solid level of concentration and willpower. I can imagine something quite clearly as well as having improved my memory. I still feel that magick is just a form of self hypnosis. Which is kinda cool if you really think about it. We're programming our beliefs, setting intents into motion within our subconscious. Altering how we perceive reality. Sure the results might be just confirmation bias and/or self-fulfilling prophecy, but you chose to fine tune your awareness into searching for what you desired. Which I think is pretty awesome.

Yeah, me too, I see that as well. I personally think, seeing reality is the important part of having your beliefs there. I like to think, (did I say this before?), as partnering with your belief. ;):)

Cast your wishes into the wind, then follow them. ;)

That sounds pretty. ;):D *flower child! Flower child!*
  • Like 1

Life actually is, (for any individual) what you believe/perceive it to be.

• Like 1

I work really hard at remembering that my beliefs are not synonymous with "reality", however anyone chooses to define that, and to limit my beliefs as much as possible, as in the past they have sometimes blinded me. What really counts, for me, is neither one of those things, but my daily actions & intentions. Everything else is sometimes interesting, sometimes helpful, sometimes bewildering and inexplicable, and I'm OK with that.

Edited by Beany

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid, I believed in all things supernatural (except, for some reason, religion). But aliens, ghosts, cryptids- I loved that stuff! It made for some pretty embarrassing memories thinking back, but I certainly did have fun! The world seemed a little more magical with all that stuff, but I've grown up and can appreciate what already exists now!