Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's Oldest Blood Found in Ötzi the Iceman

Still Waters

The world's oldest known blood cells have been found on Otzi the Iceman, according to the latest research on the 5,300-year-old mummy.

What's more, the discovery proves that the Stone Age homicide victim had a quick, if not painless, death.

http://news.national...i-zink-science/

• Like 1

I bet he had a nice coat and that's what he was murdered for.

Inner glacier violence during the ice ages such a waste.

alt;

I thought that was already in Congress.

alt;

Its too bad science does not care about my blood. Maybe I should stop sending it to random scientists.

alt;

This is great news for people who are interested in preserving their blood in glaciers for thousands of years.

alt;

Did they find his embarrassing gang/Yosemite Sam tattoos yet?

alt;

So arrows were the secret weakness of early man. Good thing we have evolved past that.

alt;

Those mountains used to be a though hood back in or around 3359 and 3105 BC.

alt;

Live fast, eat goat die young. That's my motto as well.

alt;

Is the blood still a viable meal for the starving vampires of the 3rd world?

alt;

The only reason his remains survived through all these centuries is because South American foot ball clubs never explore those mountains. Yeah, I said it.

Edited by bubblykiss

The sheer amount of information we can glean from this guy is and has been phenomenal. I hope they keep making discoveries.

• Like 3

No blood type?

I like these discoveries with every country now claiming man originated from their country and not Africa. One day someone's going to find out the first man on earth came from Wales and he lived in a council house.

• Like 1

Was there no place to fight down in the valleys? Why was he fighting someone way up on the mountain?

• Like 1

Was there no place to fight down in the valleys? Why was he fighting someone way up on the mountain?

I saw a documentary about Otzi once and it could be that he left the village one morning but was then followed into the mountains where his pursuers finally got close enough to shoot him in the back with an arrow and then whack him on the head with a club.

He might have made some enemies down in that village.

• Like 2

I love hearing news about this guy. He's got a bit of a cult following including myself. It seemed like such a badass, and they took him down in such an undignified way. Those wimps

• Like 2

I love hearing news about this guy. He's got a bit of a cult following including myself. It seemed like such a badass, and they took him down in such an undignified way. Those wimps

Yeah, I just hope that when he's done 'telling his story', they give him a decent burial.

• Like 2

Otzi looks like he partied hard in his day.

• Like 1

I saw a documentary about Otzi once and it could be that he left the village one morning but was then followed into the mountains where his pursuers finally got close enough to shoot him in the back with an arrow and then whack him on the head with a club.

Yes apparently he pi*sed some folks off. Especially to be taken down the way he did. They were scared of him. He also had upwards of 61 tattoos, believed to be charcoal ink used for various ailments, sort of like acupuncture. I think this man's story is fascinating. So much to tell, and so much was going on back then. He led a hard rugged life. Like a previous poster mentioned I hope he gets a proper burial someday. For one he was shot in the back. Next he lay dead for 5000 years lodged in a glacier. And finally his mummified body lay on a table whilst scientists poke about his body. Bury the man for crimonys sake!

• Like 2

Otzi looks like he partied hard in his day.

The Ötzman Cometh

Edited by Atuke
  • Like 2

Perhaps he was a very bad man. Banished from the village for the killing and raping he had done. Finally he was hunted and executed.

• Like 1

Perhaps he was a very bad man. Banished from the village for the killing and raping he had done. Finally he was hunted and executed.

I just watched a doco about Otzi and going by the copper axe he had in his possession, he was actually an upstanding powerful man in his clan. I think it was an assassination by a rival to remove Otzi from power but it was a controversial death because the killer removed the arrow from Otzi's shoulder blade and didn't take the copper axe - both as means to protect his own identity as the killer, not to mention choosing the most remote location to kill him, where his body would never be found. There are other theories and some evidence which deepens the whole mystery but personally, I think he was assassinated by someone in his own clan. Copper Age treachery.

• Like 1

I saw a Documentary where they took blood from a prehistoric Mosquito and created Dinosaurs. They should do that with this guy and then we can study him...

I just watched a doco about Otzi and going by the copper axe he had in his possession, he was actually an upstanding powerful man in his clan. I think it was an assassination by a rival to remove Otzi from power but it was a controversial death because the killer removed the arrow from Otzi's shoulder blade and didn't take the copper axe - both as means to protect his own identity as the killer, not to mention choosing the most remote location to kill him, where his body would never be found. There are other theories and some evidence which deepens the whole mystery but personally, I think he was assassinated by someone in his own clan. Copper Age treachery.

The theory I like was that his village was sacked and he was fleeing. Apparently they have found traces if blood from two or three different persons on his cloak, indicating he had been in a skirmish or the such. If only he could speak ...

• Like 1

The theory I like was that his village was sacked and he was fleeing. Apparently they have found traces if blood from two or three different persons on his cloak, indicating he had been in a skirmish or the such. If only he could speak ...

Maybe he was the one doing the killing

I saw a Documentary where they took blood from a prehistoric Mosquito and created Dinosaurs. They should do that with this guy and then we can study him...

Tell me you are not talking about Jurassic Park.

@ Myles. I doubt he was one of the instigators. Considering his bow was not even usable, let alive finished. Seemed more like he was fleeing inho

@ Myles. I doubt he was one of the instigators. Considering his bow was not even usable, let alive finished. Seemed more like he was fleeing inho

You might be right. Really at this point it could be any number of things.

• Like 1

You might be right. Really at this point it could be any number of things.

True. I should make a story about him lol

That is Chris Christopherson. Convoy!