Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man becomes first to enter 'Door to Hell'

UM-Bot

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

Explorer George Kourounis has become the first person to descend in to Turkmenistan's infamous fire pit.

Located in Derweze, Ahal Province, the burning pit received its nickname 'Door to Hell' due to its ominous appearance and because it has remained on fire for more than 40 years.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...er-door-to-hell

Meh, that's called a "threshold" and you carry your wife through it...

• Like 3

While he was there he retrieved samples for scientific study and discovered that there was even bacteria living inside the crater despite the high temperature and methane fumes.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/281215/man-becomes-first-to-enter-door-to-hell

Even more reason to believe that there could be life on other planets with extreme conditions. I was going to say why would he have gone down there when they know the origins of the fire, but for the reason above, very very interesting and hats off to him, although surely they got a heatproof drone which could do this now?

• Like 2

While he was there he retrieved samples for scientific study and discovered that there was even bacteria living inside the crater despite the high temperature and methane fumes.

http://www.unexplain...er-door-to-hell

Even more reason to believe that there could be life on other planets with extreme conditions. I was going to say why would he have gone down there when they know the origins of the fire, but for the reason above, very very interesting and hats off to him, although surely they got a heatproof drone which could do this now?

The way it reads, it sounds like he did it because he's an adventurer who prefers the hot places. The science stuff was just a "hey, since I'm here, lets grab this thing..." event.

• Like 2

The way it reads, it sounds like he did it because he's an adventurer who prefers the hot places. The science stuff was just a "hey, since I'm here, lets grab this thing..." event.

I read it the scientists wanted the samples before the government extinguished it and he was the man for the job...but you could be right..either way, the man is bordering on very brave or very foolish. But i suppose if paid enough and with his special suit, i might have done it.

Edited by freetoroam

either way, the man is bordering on very brave or very foolish.

Like most adventurers, it's a little from column A and a little from column B.

• Like 4

I thought people already lived in Hoboken??

I thought this may of been another well to hell hoax that was peddled on art Bell's show.

• Like 1

I thought this may of been another well to hell hoax that was peddled on art Bell's show.

Me too. I wasn't expecting a scientific article. Interesting nonetheless.

The IRS may be evil but I wouldn't call it a "Door to Hell"....

Edited by Ralaman