Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are lake monsters inspired by earthquakes ?

UM-Bot

Italian geologist Luigi Piccardi believes that legends of lake monsters may have a geological origin.

Many theories have been put forward to explain sightings of the Loch Ness Monster over the years from wakes in the water to large fish entering the lake from the sea. One theory that hasn't been quite so well recognized however suggests that the legend of the famous Scottish lake monster may have been sparked by earthquakes causing disturbances in the water.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-by-earthquakes

• Like 2

Native Peoples legends of land giants walking-- the result of/explanation for tremors and quakes is logical as well.

• Like 2

I would have a very difficult time accepting such a theory as there are various geological institutions that monitor seismic activity. It would not be difficult to compare quakes / micro quakes to the dates of reported sightings. Not to mention that waves are not the things sighted, or reported as sighted.

• Like 1

Well, I suppose it is possible, but it seems to me that much more likely is WIND which can also promote very weird waves on a lake, while most of the rest of the lake is smooth.

dnhpvt.jpg

http://www.dailymail...phenomenon.html

Not to mention that waves are not the things sighted, or reported as sighted.

Moving humps have been reported. From the shore, a single seismic wave travelling along the loch would resemble a moving hump, wouldn't it?

While there is no single explanation for sightings this one is plausible, may account for some sightings, and does, therefore, provide another piece to the puzzle...

Edited by Night Walker

Who can say what inspires them. Could be the moon light, fireflies, seismic activity as they suggest, but the real story is the beautiful masterpieces of art and literature that they produce. Rock on watersaurs. Rock on.

Or it could be creatures from the Rift! ;)

lcr2h.gif

Edited by BeastieRunner

My girlfriend and I were once walking the shores of Loch Ness and a scaly head on a long neck popped up out of the water. She grabbed my arm and cried, "Earthquake!!"

At the time I thought it was strange, but now realize if I were as scientific-minded as I believe, it would have made perfect sense...