Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4,000-year-old stone circle found on Dartmoor

UM-Bot

A previously undiscovered stone circle has been unearthed by archaeologists in southern England.

Several stone circles have been found on Dartmoor over the years but this marks the first time a new one has been found in over a century. Measuring around 111ft in diameter, the circle has been described as 'very impressive' and dates back over 4,000 years.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...und-on-dartmoor

• Like 3

Fascinating.

Does that mean Dartmoor was less wet (and thus more arable) in the past, or more wet (and thus fishable)?

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 2

Fascinating.

Does that mean Dartmoor was less wet (and thus more arable) in the past, or more wet (and thus fishable)?

Does that mean that right now it's just annoyingly soggy?

• Like 1

Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp.

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0091186/quotes

A remarkable discovery. I hope they find some nice artifacts when they conduct digs on the site.

• Like 1

If any one sees any updates , I look forward to reading them .

How exciting for the people working on it

• Like 1

Was this a protective wall of a fortress? Or a Dragon blind for hunting the beast?

• Like 1

That's pretty cool. I look forward to reading more about the find in the near future.

• Like 1

Was this a protective wall of a fortress? Or a Dragon blind for hunting the beast?

Obviously it is the remains of the hangers for the UFO fleet that was used to construct both Stonehenge and the Pyramids of Egypt...

• Like 1

Very good find, but why not show the picture of them here, the picture above is not of 30 flat stones.

why do they think they were sacred, in those days it would not have been surprising to build shelters involving stones and why not round ones? Maybe the stones were the centre on their shelters, maybe they used animal pelts attached to the stones.

Its always fascinating to see these, but I do not know why sacred has to be thought of before shelters.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

The circle probably would have looked something like this....

scorhill_stone_circle1_500.jpg

This doesn't provide any shelter, but could easily serve a cultural, or religious, purpose.

• Like 2

If we knew why they built it we would probably think it rather mundane.

"Ha! Woooodhenge, feh! Wait till those Easthillers see this! Now this is a henge! Let them play with their toothpicks!"

The circle probably would have looked something like this....

scorhill_stone_circle1_500.jpg

This doesn't provide any shelter, but could easily serve a cultural, or religious, purpose.

Why not as a support for shelter..........it is said that 4,000 years ago brown bears lived in Southern England, maybe these stones were used as some sort of protection against them. I am saying that they could have been supports for animal pelts used around it as a shelter.

Could well have been spiritual, bu there does not seen to be anything indicating this, I think it far more simple....like shelter supports.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Why not as a support for shelter..........it is said that 4,000 years ago brown bears lived in Southern England, maybe these stones were used as some sort of protection against them. I am saying that they could have been supports for animal pelts used around it as a shelter.

Could well have been spiritual, bu there does not seen to be anything indicating this, I think it far more simple....like shelter supports.

If the stones were closer together, that might support such an idea better. I do suppose they could have been part of a fence.

• Like 1

If the stones were closer together, that might support such an idea better. I do suppose they could have been part of a fence.

Fence? very probable.

They need not be close together as individual shelters per family. Each stone per shelter, but i like the fence idea to keep the bears and what ever other wild life were lurking, which means they could have lived inside the circle.

in those days there were no guns, so protecting themselves would be the use of primitive weapons and safe sheltering, stones would be a lot more solid as a support for their "tents" made out of animal pelts = maybe?

Who knows, I am just throwing in a possibility as I do not think it is always down to religion or spirituality....it could be much more simple than that, like keeping a roof over their heads.i-dunno-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by freetoroam

I visited one of the Mayan cities in the Yucutan. They said that most of the temples we seen were actually built tall above the jungle so that the elite Mayans could build wooden houses at the top of the temples. It was here that you would be able to get a cool breeze. Only a few of the temples were actually for worshipping. People build things for all sorts of reasons. Ancient humans wouldn't waste their time on luxuries. Everything would have had a purpose.

• Like 1

Another stone circle in Britain, possibly from the late Neolithic when Dartmoor was forested. Not exactly surprising, the entire island is riddled with Neolithic and Bronze remnants. Bodmin Moor, not so far away, has one of the longer processional ways in the country, a heap of stone originally turfed at the top, 380 metres long near Rough Tor and stone circles up to 12 metres across. The popular archaeological TV show "Time Team" explains over 48 minutes (Yes, I know it's Baldrick and that he can be an annoying twerp, but he's also one of the producers). See also the Ness of Brodgar, the Ring of Brodgar, the Stones of Stenness and Maes Howe, all within a few miles of each other on Orkney. Google Earth 58.997, -3.215

• Like 1