Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA plans to send robotic eel to Europa

UM-Bot

An unconventional type of rover could be used to explore the oceans beneath Jupiter's icy moon.

With its thick layer of surface ice and the potential for a vast subterranean ocean of liquid water, Europa remains one of the most tantalizing destinations in the solar system and one of the most likely places to find evidence of microbial alien life.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/281347/nasa-plans-to-send-robotic-eel-to-europa

• Like 4

This looks promising, it could drill its way to the depths and collect core samples.

• Like 1

Europa captures my imagination, i hope we find Life. similar to what's in earth's oceans. (obviously not whales etc..)

Looks like it would be easier to keep sterile. A smooth outer casing of flexible..something. It could release a sterilizing agent into the ice as it bored through it and then it wouldn't contaminate what possible life exists there.

People, I don't think we should be going there. You remember the warning the aliens sent us in "2010." "ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA- ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE- USE THEM TOGETHER, USE THEM IN PEACE." I'm getting a little scared.

People, I don't think we should be going there. You remember the warning the aliens sent us in "2010." "ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA- ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE- USE THEM TOGETHER, USE THEM IN PEACE." I'm getting a little scared.

ha ha I hope you are joking.

We need a nuclear device that generates plasma in a protective cone to melt through the surface ice and rock into the oceans below. The trick would be to shield the electronics from heat with a magnetic shield used in plasma reactors. Communications will be a huge challenge also.

Ah well, I am sure I am not going to be around for the completion of this one. :hmm: I'll show it to the 13 year old across the street and tell him to get started.

Edit to add. His rocket he built in science club, beat the state record.

Edited by GreenmansGod

That is a really cool idea.

I hope they find some neat forms of life there because of this.

Edited by BeastieRunner

And then the robot space eel got eaten by something under the ice.

But seriously, if this doesn't get results, I'm not sure anything in this solar system will. No word on when it's supposed to start production, though.

about time to stop wasting money and resources on dead planet like Mars

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All effort should be made to explore Europa and Enceladus. If active life exists in the abundance we think it exists in the universe, these two places are were we are going to find it within our solar system.

And you know Mars is a dead planet how exactly? Considering the world's greatest experts don't know one way or the other I look forward to your explanation of how you know more than them.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.

It could release a sterilizing agent into the ice as it bored through it and then it wouldn't contaminate what possible life exists there.

This would be an extremely bad idea. If you are looking for life then the one thing you don't want to be doing is sterilizing the very area you are studying, it's the one way of guaranteeing you won't find anything.

All NASA planetary missions are built in clean rooms and sterilized before launch. The chances of contaminating Europa will be minimal.

• Like 1

And you know Mars is a dead planet how exactly? Considering the world's greatest experts don't know one way or the other I look forward to your explanation of how you know more than them.

Guess it depends on what someone means by "dead planet."

We need a nuclear device that generates plasma in a protective cone to melt through the surface ice and rock into the oceans below. The trick would be to shield the electronics from heat with a magnetic shield used in plasma reactors. Communications will be a huge challenge also.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by that ?

Do you mean by plasma reactor ?

Why would you need to go through rock to find what is under the ice ?

This seem like an extremely elaborate solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

Why is the question of life on Mars even relevant when we are discussing Europa ?

Looks like it would be easier to keep sterile. A smooth outer casing of flexible..something. It could release a sterilizing agent into the ice as it bored through it and then it wouldn't contaminate what possible life exists there.

Sterilizing the ice seem like a very counter productive thing to do, when you are in fact looking for signs of life.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

Guess it depends on what someone means by "dead planet."

Well they could mean geologically dead or they could mean devoid of living organisms. In either case my point still stands.

Experts are not sure about Mars in either of these cases and yet qxcontinuum, who consistently demonstrates an abject lack of scientific knowledge, claims he knows the answer. I'm simply interested to know how he, a person with virtually no scientific capability, knows something the experts don't.