Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking:Robots Will Be Our Masters In 100 Yrs

Still Waters

Artificial Intelligence is widely considered to be one of the most important technological landmarks in our evolution, it's also considered as one of the most dangerous.

So dangerous in fact that Professor Stephen Hawking has warned that if we're not careful, we'll be ruled by the machines in just 100 years.

http://www.huffingto..._n_7290110.html

Judging from how we handle ourselves, we'll probably be better off with some AI supervision.

On a related note, check out the movie Ex Machina. It's very very good imo.

• Like 2

Artificial Intelligence is widely considered to be one of the most important technological landmarks in our evolution, it's also considered as one of the most dangerous.

So dangerous in fact that Professor Stephen Hawking has warned that if we're not careful, we'll be ruled by the machines in just 100 years.

Pishaw.

I think it's dangerous to rely on anything that diminishes our human autonomy. Leaders, governments, corporations, philosophies, religions, AI. We need to think for ourselves rationally and not depend too much on others for our own welfare.

Right now we cannot pull the plug on the technology that is in control of our lives. It's already too late. In the future this situation will only increase. For better or for worse.

• Like 4

Wouldn't surprise me, the government is already trying to control us through technology. We will go from human cops to Robo cops.

• Like 2

I've been watching this video. This is our present, but also can be our future. Our reliance on technology for our own comfort, safety and ease, as I say, can easily get out of hand.

Will technology control our lives to the extent that we all live in cold, sterile cities with little human contact, keeping tabs on, and from necessity, obeying our automated technology that have become our overlords? I think this is very possible. It seems a bleak future to me.

Edited by StarMountainKid
  • Like 1

A computer does not have free will, it doesn't think, it is not conscious, it simply executes lines of programming code.

If the script designed for a robot doesnt allow it to take over the world then it wont.

Edited by RabidMongoose

A computer does not have free will, it doesn't think, it is not conscious, it simply executes lines of programming code.

If the script designed for a robot doesnt allow it to take over the world then it wont.

True, but I see the possibility that those who design computers may discover that computers that are autonomous, capable of thought and perhaps consciousness in some sense may be more efficient at their tasks. As computers continue to replace humans in various catagories, more sophisticated computers are necessary.

Computers seem to be evolving similar to the evolution of biological life on the planet, from dumb machines to higher and higher forms of intelligence. A computer that is conscious in the samy way humans are conscious may be inevitable.

• Like 2

What you described isn't the sort of advanced artificial intelligence Hawking was talking about, and that kind of AI is a goal for some people.

Or perhaps a revolution by the organics to wipe out the robots/AI... as in the Dune universe books.

• Like 1

I don't see what the problem is. Man will just crush the machines at the first sign that they want to start doing their own thing. He will not allow them that freedom.

Isn't it funny, in a tragic sense, that humankind seems to have no boundaries as to the inadvertent capacity to destroy itself?

No wonder "Aliens" don't want to come-down and say hi.

They're so busy puking at our "maturity" that they can't even mouth a greeting.

OK, I'll speak for their observation of me... :w00t:

• Like 1

It seems Professor Hawing has finally finished typing in his Netflix password.

You can't fault him that it took so long.

Harte

True, but I see the possibility that those who design computers may discover that computers that are autonomous, capable of thought and perhaps consciousness in some sense may be more efficient at their tasks. As computers continue to replace humans in various catagories, more sophisticated computers are necessary.

Computers seem to be evolving similar to the evolution of biological life on the planet, from dumb machines to higher and higher forms of intelligence. A computer that is conscious in the samy way humans are conscious may be inevitable.

You do not live in a universe of mathematical theories, deterministic mechanics or linear cause and effect relationships. Mr Hawkins (who isn't that bright in my opinion) believes he does and it might have something to do with his education being in theoretical physics. He makes the mistake of thinking theories and models are reality, even reducing humans down to being mere robots. Unfortunately a machine is not conscious, as stated it just executes lines of programming.

In the world of business we will reach a point where most jobs can be performed by a robot more efficiently, faster and with less mistakes than a human. Will robots replace humans as the workers? I would say no because the cost of purchasing a cyborg with far outstrip the cost of hiring an employee. Maybe if society changes so we spend 2000 years working at the same business, the processes in the firm never change and the organisation never goes bankrupt then it will become financially feasible. However, I think all those conditions will never happen.

Robots will near enough only be used in the types of task we currently use them for.

With respect, RabidMongoose, from my experience in business, in many instances it is less expensive in the long run for businesses to purchase expensive robots than to hire humans to perform the same tasks. I agree there will always be the need for human employees. However, as AI technology imporves, complex business decisions my be better performed by future AI technologies.

Data crunching is a computer's forte. If a computer is better than humans at playing chess, why wouldn't a computer be better than humans at playing the stock market, for instance? A human business executive may hesitate to turn over his job to a computer, but if the board of directors see a better profit margin by allowing AI to be installed in that executive's office instead, what is going to happen?

Business theories and models are used all the time, as well as theories and models in science. Models of reality done by computers are often correct, or at least often lead to more refined models of reality. These models are not always deterministic or linear. Computers can be programmed to include nondeterminism, depending on factors other than the initial state of input.

So I think computer development will include the ability to consider problems creatively and with human-like intuition.

I also think Hawking has earned the right to say what he thinks and for us to take his thoughts seriously. I think he's a pretty smart guy, and his education in theoretical physics is not a drawback to what he has to say. His scientific knowledge may even enhance the scope of his outlook.

As long as we have Arnold there to save us we should be ok.

HA!!! Robots are already Masters. Try to have a conversation with a teenager without them paying homage to the smartphone thier parents pay the bill on....

• Like 2

Elon Musk Agress, yet some Japan organization is promoting robots.. I think they are all enslaved already!

The main goal was to create a robot to help us with our daily lives. The best we can do is to not invent a blacksheep robot whose goals are not aligned with us.

Caprica, now a reality show on planet Earth....

44e8d78b-18db-4eb8-b6de-4ae944909918.jpg