Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

92-year-old woman eats 1kg of sand every day

UM-Bot

Sudama Devi has maintained her peculiar diet for over eight decades yet remains in perfect health.

The mother-of-four first sampled the unusual delicacy as part of a bet she made with her friends when she was only ten years old.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/281496/92-year-old-woman-eats-1kg-of-sand-every-day

• Like 2

Its no mystery, she told you how, Got dirt?

of course she is healthy , sand has a lot of minerals our bodies will require and which lack from daily diet.

Meanwhile i am trying to get rid of excess sand after i finished some building work in my garden. Maybe i should just save it in my freezer, you never know.

• Like 1

If she physically *craved* eating the sand it might be because she was deficient in a mineral or iron something.

If she just ate it because she liked it then I think it's more psychological or Pica and became and addiction.

Sand is basically silica (someone correct me if I am wrong I need to look it up). But just think of all the toxins in sand - bacteria, fecal matter and urine just to name a few.

I don't know how this woman survived this long eating sand.

Amazingly strange and wonderful find. Thank you for posting this :tu:

• Like 2

Having a poo must be like crapping sandpaper for her.

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 7

Having a poo must be like crapping sandpaper for her.

You know Cat, I was thinking about that! Her whole digestive track must have been in shambles :( I can't even imagine. It amazing how she did not have any health issues. If you think of all the diseases she could have gotten like hepititis or ringworm or whatever....just nasty and gross stuff. *shivers* Ew.

• Like 1

She's been eating sand every day for the last eighty years? How on Earth did she survive so long? Is this story even true? Someone should check their sources.

It is still hard to beat Michel Lotito. He ate an aircraft !

http://en.wikipedia....i/Michel_Lotito

There is even a list of things he consumed, not just Cessna but a pair of skis, among numerous other things :D Were those things chocolate made replicas or something? It's hard to believe it.

It would probably help to reduce hunger pangs a little bit. So sand could be a good supplement in that sense for her.

Huh. Well, that women has got some "true grit"

OK, bad joke. :wacko:

• Like 1

I can do better worse than that: If she is a witch, does that make her a sandwitch. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Favorite cookie: Pecan Sandies

• Like 1

That would be hard on the Hemorrhoids. :blink:

Edited by Hawkin

bizarre. She's 92 though . . Probably a mineral rich diet! ..how's her teeth!?

She never goes hungry because of the sand which is there.

Yuck! At 92 it's a wonder she doesn't have health problems of some kind. Even without her diet of sand she's a good age to be so apparently fit and healthy. She's also outlived some of her family it says -

She said: 'I had seven sons and three daughters but now I have only three sons and one daughter alive. No one eats sand.

.post-103357-0-09065400-1431838974_thumb.

Edited by Hawkin