Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Octopus Can See With Skin

She-ra

They are the masters of disguise. Not only can octopuses match color almost perfectly, they can also match texture, pattern and brightness of the object they try to mimic. We already know that their eyes display striking similarities to our own, but it turns out that the light-sensing abilities of these cephalopods doesn't end there.

Read more here: http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/seeing-without-eyes-two-spot-octopus-can-sense-light-through-its-skin

• Like 2

They are such amazing smart little buggers, good thing for us they are not social and don't pass on knowledge to their young, they could take over the world!

They even learn by observation.

Edited by Razer
  • Like 1

They are such amazing smart little buggers, good thing for us they are not social and don't pass on knowledge to their young, they could take over the world!

They even learn by observation.

Oh wow! The level of understanding in the video is amazing! Thanks for sharing that :tu: Very cool. I think you're right - they COULD take over the world :o Wow.

Oh wow! The level of understanding in the video is amazing! Thanks for sharing that :tu: Very cool. I think you're right - they COULD take over the world :o Wow.

They are so cool, my dad kept one as a pet in a small tank just a few feet away from a much larger tank with saltwater fish. That little guy did everything he could to escape and try to get into the larger tank with fish. Many times I had to pick him up off the floor as he was making his way to the other tank. He clearly knew what he was after.

Edited by Razer
  • Like 1

They are so cool, my dad kept one as a pet in a small tank just a few feet away from a much larger tank with saltwater fish. That little guy did everything he could to escape and try to get into the larger tank with fish. Many times I had to pick him up off the floor as he was making his way to the other tank. He clearly knew what he was after.

I love it!! What a smart creature :o I love anything to do with water and the sea. Thanks for sharing. The only story I have to share is that I got *inked* once :P trying to get one back in the ocean. He got caught up in our boat like 4 feet off shore. Tried to get him off the boat and back in the water and he spewed. Ew. :lol: He was fine though we got him back int he water.
  • Like 1

They also have sex by having the male insert his penis arm into the female's head (mantle).

octopusMate.gif

They are a crazy and magnificent creature!

Edited by BeastieRunner
  • Like 1

I wonder though how the octopus percieves the data from it's skin. It already has a set of eyes as shown in the illustration above. Maybe the skin data doesn't reach the consciousness part of the processing in the brain, only to react to the environment subconsciously.

• Like 2

I wonder though how the octopus percieves the data from it's skin. It already has a set of eyes as shown in the illustration above. Maybe the skin data doesn't reach the consciousness part of the processing in the brain, only to react to the environment subconsciously.

The article theorizes that the systems are independent in case the octopus is distracted/unconscious/etc. and doesn't see a potential threat/change/etc. so the skin will still alter with camouflage to help it blend into its surroundings. The researchers managed to demonstrate that the camouflage was independent of the CNS and appeared to operate automatically. So it is more probable than not that the "skin sight" is subconscious.

• Like 1

The article theorizes that the systems are independent in case the octopus is distracted/unconscious/etc. and doesn't see a potential threat/change/etc. so the skin will still alter with camouflage to help it blend into its surroundings. The researchers managed to demonstrate that the camouflage was independent of the CNS and appeared to operate automatically. So it is more probable than not that the "skin sight" is subconscious.

Absolutely fascinating. Thanks.

That's a damn good article. It makes you realise just how useless a human is if you take away all tools. Can't fly, limited swimming, gets lost, can't navigate well.etc etc

Edited by Rhino666
  • Like 1