Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was the 1982 movie 'Poltergeist' cursed ?

UM-Bot

After its release the movie sparked rumors of a curse that was said to have befallen the cast and crew.

Directed by Tobe Hooper and produced by Stephen Spielberg, the original 'Poltergeist' told the terrifying tale of a family who became besieged by a malicious haunting that culminated in their youngest daughter being pulled through a portal to the 'other side'.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...tergeist-cursed

• Like 1

Well, I know that the two actresses who portrayed the two daughters in the film died very young. But the young actor who portrayed the son is still alive today, but not in the acting business, but in something else that he's happy in, I believe. That should be saying something.

I have read so many things about so many things happen behind the scenes of so many movies, and tv shows too for that matter. Granted, a lot of the cast from Poltergeist have passed on, but given the amount of time since the movie was made, that's understandable. The two who portrayed the parents are still doing great. I think all the other minor things are probably coincidences. As for the two passings of the daughter actresses, I do believe that will always way heavily on the minds of movie watchers. If I remember, the actress, Dominicke Dunn, was killed by her boyfriend, and Heather O'Reorke was very ill to begin with.

People die. Even famous people who star in scary movies. Nothing paranormal required.

• Like 4

This was my first real scary movie growing up that I saw about ghosts and stuff. Still creeps me out. I do find it weird that 4 of the actors died shortly after. The youngest made it to the 3rd movie all the others died before that. Weird.

4qrn6n9.gif

• Like 2

Oh my I saw that too very young. You and I must be close in age. I slept with the lights on for at least a month after that...all my siblings are 10 years older than me and I was the baby so yea I saw that way too young too :no:

• Like 1

I understand that people associated with films sometimes die during filming. But nine of them?

Wow it was 9? I thought it was 4...OMG that is weird!!

Edited by She-ra
  • Like 1

1.Julian Beck -died from Stomach Cancer but he had been diagnosed and was battling it for 18 months.

2. Will Samson -was already having heart issues leading up to his operation and already knew beforehand what the complications of the surgery entailed.

3. Heather O Rourke- died to an undiagnosed inflammatory bowel. I chalk this one up to a mis-dignosis

4. Dominic Dunn- no conspiracy there she was being stalked by her Boyfriend leading up to her murder.

• Like 2

There is NO such thing as a spirit world, entities, demons...its all bull****. What if i told you Someone or something was mimicking it from a physical plane......using technology???

People think that saying "MacBeth" in a theatre is cursed, but I've done it about a hundred times and nothing bad has ever happened. There is nothing cursed about a movie. In fact, there's nothing cursed about anything, ever, because curses aren't real. People thinking that they are cursed are certainly real, but I can't fix stupid.

There is NO such thing as a spirit world, entities, demons...its all bull****. What if i told you Someone or something was mimicking it from a physical plane......using technology???

What are you suggesting?

• Like 1

Pretty sure this has been discussed / debunked in detail on this forum.

Same here. I was the baby and both my brother and sister were much older than me. I saw a lot of films and tv shows I probably shouldn't have when I was younger, haha.

The "curse" makes it even more frightening, if that's even possible. I understand that people associated with films sometimes die during filming. But nine of them? And that on top of the freak accidents and injuries that delayed the film for several weeks? There seems to be a disproportionate number of "accidents" associated with certain films. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone's made a list of deaths associated with films, so it's hard to compare.

Interesting note. Check out "The Conquerer" by John Wayne, and probably his worst film, evar!. The whole thing was filmed downwind of a Nevada nuclear test site in the 1950's. Of the just over 200 cast and crew, 90 of them came down with terminal cases of cancer.

• Like 1

I've always believed so and wondering why those stupid fools kept making movies and why parents let thier kids be in them... beats the hell out of me but they're coming out with another one...

• Like 1

I remember the same thing was said about The Twilight Zone movie where there was an accident that resulted in the death of two children and maybe the actor (I don't remember for sure about the actor). It involved a helicopter crash if memory serves.

• Like 1

It was Vic Morrow, Sundew.

• Like 3

People think that saying "MacBeth" in a theatre is cursed, but I've done it about a hundred times and nothing bad has ever happened. There is nothing cursed about a movie. In fact, there's nothing cursed about anything, ever, because curses aren't real. People thinking that they are cursed are certainly real, but I can't fix stupid.

Please understand that the theatre community does have many people in it that are very superstitious, and many of them would prefer you keep your MacBeths to yourself. Whether or not it curses a production I cannot say, but what I do know is anything that can distract or rattle a performer before a show is bad news. Better to err on the side of caution and just call it, "the Scottish Play", when in a theatre...at least around the cast!
  • Like 1

Hmm, it's just a guess, but I think there might be a more plausible explanation for the high rate of cancer ...

I thought that part was obvious. But how much more "cursed" can you get?

• Like 1

I guess the Movie was cursed by a few people who paid good money to watch a load of trash.

• Like 2

You're lucky. My introduction to horror films was The Exorcist, and I was 8 when I first watched it. My older sister was a horrible baby sitter.

Amityville horror. The first one. I remember my friend and I started crouching down and further down in our seats as the movie went on.

Then there was a group of my friends, at slumber parties, loved to play 'horror movies' including the first 'My Bloody Valentine'. (had issues with clothes dryers for some time after that.) I just sat there closing my eyes on certain parts. It took me, from this, to really appreciate the 'Scary Movies'. I love how they stereotyped the characters in those movies in such a way that I saw all of the time in the real ones. (I do love it one time my friends decided to play Mel Brook's, 'History of the World, Part One' afterwards one time. "Hitler on Ice" :rofl:

Did I mention I hate horror movies? :o

1.Julian Beck -died from Stomach Cancer but he had been diagnosed and was battling it for 18 months.

2. Will Samson -was already having heart issues leading up to his operation and already knew beforehand what the complications of the surgery entailed.

3. Heather O Rourke- died to an undiagnosed inflammatory bowel. I chalk this one up to a mis-dignosis

4. Dominic Dunn- no conspiracy there she was being stalked by her Boyfriend leading up to her murder.

Hey, thanks for this. I remember. The thing is, I would chalk this up to coincidences of pre-known situations. I think I read somewhere that Heather's mom knew she was ill for some time.

Interesting note. Check out "The Conquerer" by John Wayne, and probably his worst film, evar!. The whole thing was filmed downwind of a Nevada nuclear test site in the 1950's. Of the just over 200 cast and crew, 90 of them came down with terminal cases of cancer.

I remember reading about that. But that is a situation, that became provable later, right?

Id say using real skeletons probably invited real trouble.bit off more than you could chew type off thing

What?! They did?! Why? Where did you get that info?

I remember the same thing was said about The Twilight Zone movie where there was an accident that resulted in the death of two children and maybe the actor (I don't remember for sure about the actor). It involved a helicopter crash if memory serves.

Yeah, I remember that too. A horrible and freak accident. That left a spot of bad feelings about the movie, even after it was released. I think it did ok. I saw it, it was good. But I just felt cold watching that particular sketch.

Please understand that the theatre community does have many people in it that are very superstitious, and many of them would prefer you keep your MacBeths to yourself. Whether or not it curses a production I cannot say, but what I do know is anything that can distract or rattle a performer before a show is bad news. Better to err on the side of caution and just call it, "the Scottish Play", when in a theatre...at least around the cast!

I wonder how the wishing of 'Break a leg!' came about? ;)

It was Vic Morrow, Sundew.

Thanks, been a while since I saw the movie, and was too lazy to look it up! :yes:

Edited by Sundew

Meh, it certainly was a tragedy, but not a curse. But that's just semantics.

It all depends on a person's point of view I suppose. If they believe in 'curses' then yes, they are different. If you don't believe in curses, then it's just another 'unfortunate set of circumstances' and the exact same thing.

Id say using real skeletons probably invited real trouble.bit off more than you could chew type off thing

Even if they did it's totally irrelevant.