Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was the 1982 movie 'Poltergeist' cursed ?

UM-Bot

There's so much myth and BS surrounding horror movies, that at this stage, I think it's safe to assume that anything you here like this is nonsense. Movies that were said to be based on found footage, based on real events, crew were cursed, etc. The Amityville Horror was said to be a true story, but later investigations revealed it to be a pack of lies. The Blair Witch Project had people actually believing that were looking at real video footage taken by students who went missing in the woods. Any remember the Three Men and a Baby (not a horror I know, depending on how you look at it I suppose) and the "ghost" of a little boy who had killed himself that turned out to be a cardboard cutout of Ted Danson sitting in the back of the scene? Infamous 1980s video nasty Cannibal Holocaust was advertised as being actual found footage of a horrible event in South America. Etc. All nonsense, wild rumours and lies, some of which is deliberately created by the film's makers to help promote it as the real deal. Others is just rumours and legends.

So whenever the next rumour, curse, true story, etc, I hear about, I just roll my eyes and assume it's nonsense. And it's generally not hard to show that it is.

I don't think the movie was cursed. Kind of silly.

TThe Amityville Horror was said to be a true story, but later investigations revealed it to be a pack of lies. .

Actually, the Amityville Horror have been exaggerated in terms of some of the alleged paranormal activities....but something did went on in that house after the DeFeos' murders.

• Like 1

You're lucky. My introduction to horror films was The Exorcist, and I was 8 when I first watched it. My older sister was a horrible baby sitter.

Yeah? My dad sat me down and made me watch Alien when I was 9. Beat that.

• Like 1

Interesting note. Check out "The Conquerer" by John Wayne, and probably his worst film, evar!. The whole thing was filmed downwind of a Nevada nuclear test site in the 1950's. Of the just over 200 cast and crew, 90 of them came down with terminal cases of cancer.

The Russian movie Stalker lead to the deaths of the director and two crew - they were using an old Ukrainian power plant as the setting for some post apocalyptic world. You watch the movie thinking that the lumps of toxic-looking foam everywhere is just set dressing... no, it was actual toxic foam.

• Like 1

Not only horror movies are supposed to be cursed or have you forgot about the Superman curse?

• Like 1

Not only horror movies are supposed to be cursed or have you forgot about the Superman curse?

Well, both Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill are still alive, so that pours a big bucket of scorn all over that idea.

Let's not forget about the Brady family curse when they found that Tiki in Hawaii. Now THAT was a curse. :P

• Like 4

Actually, the Amityville Horror have been exaggerated in terms of some of the alleged paranormal activities....but something did went on in that house after the DeFeos' murders.

I remember becoming friends with a new student, who I was asked to introduce and tour through school. She was from the neighborhood of the house. She told me, the only things that really did happen were the flies and there was a lot of wind. Now thing is, I keep hearing that those in the house now, and those previous to currant residents, and after the defoes, hadn't experienced anything paranormal. I think one family moved, because of the constant drive-by lookie loos.
  • Like 1

Well, both Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill are still alive, so that pours a big bucket of scorn all over that idea.

Not all actors in the Poltergeist trilogy died either. Not all crew are conditioned to die I assume. But Christopher Reeve and George Reeves are dead and Margot Kidder has have had mental problems for many years. That is just a fact.

Incidentally, I studied the DeFeo case (the actual case, not the haunting) a while ago when I was still in my murderer psychology studies phase. The whole thing was made up by George Lutz and Ronnie's lawyer over a round of drinks. The Exorcist had released not long before, and it was probably much of the inspiration behind the Scamityville *ehem* Amityville hauntings. Lutz agreed to it because he couldn't afford the house. The lawyer thought that, if a story about demons came out from the Lutz's, he could use it to work a "not guilty by reason of insanity" for Ronnie. It didn't work, mostly because Ronnie is a buffoon and couldn't keep his story straight to save his own freedom (also because insanity pleas rarely ever work anyway, especially when there's no real evidence to back it up). Ronnie later admitted that he never heard any voices.

I must admit, I have read varying articles and book saying similar things. In fact, I either still have it or I had a book that talked pretty much on how fake the whole story was. Interesting, how at the time of the first movie coming out, it was such a big scare and how believable people thought it was. That is why I never forgot what my classmate said. It was like a wrench put into the works.

Yeah? My dad sat me down and made me watch Alien when I was 9. Beat that.

Lol, I was read the Amityville Horror when I was 4. Along with being told Grimms tales. Watched Halloween 1-3, Friday the 13th 1-4, The Amityville Horror movie, Alien, and most of the black and white horror and a heap of creepy scary detective movies by the time I was 9. Got to listen to a heap of old horror and crime radio shows between the ages of 5-9, including The Shadow, The Mercury Theater, Suspense, Lights Out, and a bunch of other random stuff.

My dad was a horror buff, and mom loved Halloween, grandpa liked to tell the scariest folklore he could. Halloweens in my house were extra full of ghastly delights, and the moment BETA (yes BETA) VCR's came out, we had movie marathons of grisly horror every year.

One of my most memorable movie moments from when I was little was from Friday the 13th part 2- the head in the fridge scene. Man, we rewound that and played it back a dozen times, including in slo-mo, and totally freaked ourselves out over it, lol.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 2

Yeah, well, I grew up with parents who loved comedies. So, you can guess how a lot of the times I am going to look at situations, paranormal or not. In fact, the first theater movie my dad us too was one of the Pink Panther movies. Sometimes, a little humor gets a person to look at things in a different perspective. (My paranormal interests came with experiences) And sometimes, I still look at that with a little humor.

The super bowl poster in poltergeist though. Unless im being fooled somwhere that is just creepy.

In the movie there is a poster above the brother's bed for the 1988 super bowl. The movie was released in 1982. Then the girl fell ill exactly on super bowl Sunday 1988 in San Diego. The same city the super bowl was being played in. She died the next day. That's a hell of a coincidence no matter which way you spin it. Why did spielburg make a poster for the future?

Edited by White Crane Feather

I wanted to add an update on the Amityville house, just talked to another customer today. She says she grew up around there and she too said it was exactly how it was described to me by my high school friend.

This guy Louis Byron Perryman was in the moive he was murdered

http://www.findagrav...r&GRid=35656813

It was made 33 years ago, there are probably a dozen or two people that "died before their time" that worked on that film.

Oh, and accrding to Imdb he died in 2009. That has to be the slowest moving movie curse, ever!

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1