Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
questionmark

'African American residents' to lower 'volume

36 posts in this topic

questionmark

IRVINE, Calif., May 29 (UPI) -- A California student shared pictures of a flyer posted by apartment management reminding "African American residents" to "keep conversation volume down."

Instagram user teyent_thequeenb posted photos and a video to her account showing signs in her building's two elevators at Toscana Apartment Homes that purport to have been posted by management.

The signs say managers have received "multiple complaints" about noise levels after 10 p.m.

Read more

Edited by questionmark

bubblykiss

Should have just posted notice:

"Hey annoying young college kids, stop being overly loud and disturbing others".

• Like 5

Grandpa Greenman

That means, if you are another ethnic group you can blast your music and yell as loud as you want. Being I really do hate racism, that is just what I would do, if I had the misfortune of living there. :devil:

edit to add notice the note is from Equity Residential.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 2

bubblykiss

That means, if you are another ethnic group you can blast your music and yell as loud as you want. Being I really do hate racism, that is just what I would do, if I had the misfortune of living there. :devil:

You got a real laugh out loud there....I looked around in a panic to make sure nobody saw/heard :)

Dark_Grey

Just another example of the white man keeping 'em down. WHEN WILL THE RACISM END

• Like 3

and then

Just another example of the white man keeping 'em down. WHEN WILL THE RACISM END

This is one of those instances when you just have to shake your head and wonder...WHAT were they thinking? Next thing you know they'll be staging a photo with antlers on some drunk's head ;)
  • Like 3

aztek

what is the best way to get even with management that you butt heads with, make a racially charged letter and put it up. as if it was them, I have no doubt management knew this would get them in hot water and cost them in lawsuits, and would not do it. I do not believe it was them.

• Like 3

F3SS

what is the best way to get even with management that you butt heads with, make a racially charged letter and put it up. as if it was them, I have no doubt management knew this would get them in hot water and cost them in lawsuits, and would not do it. I do not believe it was them.

I'm leaning towards agreeing. It wouldn't be the first time something of this nature has been planted. It's absurdly blatant and bound for trouble, the company says they didn't create the flier (not that that's proof) and above all its a gross violation of FHA, fair housing act, regulations which all property management companies are highly aware of.

• Like 4

KariW

I really have no idea, but It is certainly a Possibility.

If I owned the place, I think I would have cameras mounted everywhere...... just for the protection of the residents.

Edited by KariW
  • Like 2

F3SS

I just looked at Equity Residential's website and they are a huge multi-state property management company and I would guarantee that if this was an employee who did this that they will or have been swiftly canned. No chance in hell this type of company would stand for something that flies in tha face of the most basic of FHA regulations.

• Like 3

PersonFromPorlock

So many of these 'outrages' turn out to be manufactured by the 'victims', though, or someone who wants to 'raise consciousness'... cherchez l'activiste! sez I.

• Like 2

Solipsi Rai

Knowing Orange County in southern CA very well, due to family history there, it's not all affluent white folk everywhere (LOL). The letter perpetuates racial stereotypes of African-Americans are "loud" when they talk and is outrageously offensive to tell a Black person "your people are too loud, quiet down". I understand some cultures have different cultural modes of conversation (I observed this with my French-born father's family in France), universally we all have manners and etiquette.

• Like 2

White Crane Feather

Mehh..... faked, or some really old guy that dosnt get it and thought he was being polite. I know a few old guys that might do something like that.

• Like 1

Varelse

Mehh..... faked, or some really old guy that dosnt get it and thought he was being polite. I know a few old guys that might do something like that.

Or even a young jackass. Don't discriminate against really old guys now. We're not all Luddites.

• Like 2

White Crane Feather

Or even a young jackass. Don't discriminate against really old guys now. We're not all Luddites.

Haha well yes. My dad was like that. He was no racist but had no qualms about pointing out certain things. He could care less for politically correctness. He would throw around the N word, but it was just a word to him. One time far back on a very big lake, a black family's boat was broken down. It took us nearly 8 hours to tow them back to the closest dock and the rest of the day to boat the dad back to his car and trailer. I was a young teen and was confused because I pretty much thought my dad was a racist. When I asked him about it, he said people are people and always deserve to be helped when they need it and you can give it. I was shocked my racist old dad had become enlightened, but it was short lived, he said "besides, they didn't talk funny, they dressed nice, and they wernt blaring that crap music, they are obviously not ****** (n word). :no: :no: :no: what can I say he was born in 1929. No excuses, but it wasn't black skin that he had a problem with. Being an old Apache that grew up during the great depression he was simply a tuff old bird.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

Hawken

Yes the management should have just addressed all tenants as a whole instead of separating.

Maybe that's why we should see each other as Human rather then wanting to be called,

African, Asian or even Native American. One time I received a survey on something and the 1st

question was, What's my race? I penciled in the Other: Earthling :yes:

Edited by Hawkin
  • Like 4

kartikg

Why is this a racism ? If management knew for sure that it were the black s blasting the music why can't they say so? So much for freedom of speech.

• Like 1

Skep B

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can't be called racist.

F3SS

Total freedom of speech rarely exists in the business world. In cases like this it is ilegal to use such an address towards people due to FHA.

Edited by F3SS

KariW

Haha well yes. My dad was like that. He was no racist but had no qualms about pointing out certain things. He could care less for politically correctness. He would throw around the N word, but it was just a word to him. One time far back on a very big lake, a black family's boat was broken down. It took us nearly 8 hours to tow them back to the closest dock and the rest of the day to boat the dad back to his car and trailer. I was a young teen and was confused because I pretty much thought my dad was a racist. When I asked him about it, he said people are people and always deserve to be helped when they need it and you can give it. I was shocked my racist old dad had become enlightened, but it was short lived, he said "besides, they didn't talk funny, they dressed nice, and they wernt blaring that crap music, they are obviously not ****** (n word). :no: :no: :no: what can I say he was born in 1929. No excuses, but it wasn't black skin that he had a problem with. Being an old Apache that grew up during the great depression he was simply a tuff old bird.

I think the Great Depression hatched a whole lot of tuff old birds! If they hadn't been Tuff, they probably wouldn't have made it! :)

supervike

Most likely the management received complaints, and instead of dealing directly with the folks causing the problem, management deemed it 'easier' to just make a flyer. They probably thought it would be a 'friendly' reminder, not realizing how racist it would sound.

If there were complaints they should have dealt with them directly, not trying to make a generalized statement, hoping it would go away.

F3SS

Most likely the management received complaints, and instead of dealing directly with the folks causing the problem, management deemed it 'easier' to just make a flyer. They probably thought it would be a 'friendly' reminder, not realizing how racist it would sound.

If there were complaints they should have dealt with them directly, not trying to make a generalized statement, hoping it would go away.

There is no way anybody would have thought this to be the right idea except for the most blissfully unaware person in America.

EnderOTD

In this day and age I don't see how someone could be so naive as to post a flyer like this. I'm with the other posters, I would bet it's either a hoax or some disgruntled tenant trying to get even with management. If this is real, my goodness smh.

• Like 1

Insaniac

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can't be called racist.

That is indeed true, but there's no harm in calling out those who are responsible. I don't believe he was being racist personally. When people refer to the British as such, nobody cries racism. Probably because we're not surrounded by negative truths and stereotypes.

Seems like just another case of African American's crying racism.

Likely Guy

Seems like just another case of African American's crying racism.

Seems to me to be another internet hoax that got mainstream airtime, whatever the source.