Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Making Bigfoot Plausible

Tim547

Here's a little essay thing I wrote, not for school, I did it out of my own will, and I wanted to get the opinions of other Bigfoot or any cryptid believers- or even skeptics. So, here it is, if you wouldn't mind some feedback would be nice. Pointers, what you liked, what you didn't, if you think what I wrote is convincing or not, ect. Note: I did not make everything up in here. I use theories from several people in here but the general topic "If You Can't Believe in Bigfoot, How Can You Believe in Yourself?" I thought of myself while riding my bike.

If You Can't Believe in Bigfoot, How Can You Believe in Yourself?

How many people in the world don’t believe in humans? No one! That’s a silly question! Why? Because we are humans! Now, how many people believe in Bigfoot? Well, a good chunk does, but a greater chunk does not. Why? Because that’s silly! How can a big ape be roaming around North America! That’s stupid, anyone who believes in him is crazy. Well, think about this, aren’t you a big ape living in North America? Or Asia? Or Europe? Or any continent in the world? In fact, humans are not that different than Bigfoot. Actually, we’re a lot harder to believe than Bigfoot!

What is Bigfoot? A very bulky, around eight foot tall, hairy ape. What are we? Well, we can vary in size, we can bulky, scrawny, tall, short, but often we can be around six feet tall and not too bulky, and, we’re hairless. The only differences we have are that we’re hairless and not as tall, and most times not as bulky. Those aren’t big differences. However, Bigfoot’s size tends to be his weakness. Skeptics say if an ape that large exists, how could it have avoided us for so long. The funny thing is, it hasn’t! Tons of people see Bigfoot! Tons! But no one believes in him. Why not? Because he’s “hard to believe”. And here’s another thing, the mountain gorilla wasn’t discovered until 1902. Now, that’s over 100 years ago, but in the history of man, that’s not that long ago. So, how can something so large have eluded us for so long? It did! In fact, the gorilla used to be almost the same thing as Bigfoot. Explorers of African jungles told stories of huge manlike beasts angry beasts who would often kidnap women! Scientists at the time disregarded it as false. Remind you of anything? Bigfoot, perhaps? While Bigfoot stories tend to be more peaceful, these gorilla stories are almost the same as Bigfoot stories. Now the gorilla is only a little over half of Bigfoots height, but it’s still bulky and pretty large. And, in reality, most of the time gorillas are peaceful creatures. I heard somewhere that to find gorillas in the wild is a difficult task, but I can’t find much evidence for this on the internet, but if they escaped us for so long, I can believe it. But, in a way they didn’t. Because tons of people saw gorillas just no one believed them. Well, tons of people see Bigfoot but no one believes them!

Now, think about this, aren’t we in every way much harder to believe than Bigfoot? If I was a Bigfoot, or any animal for that matter, and another member of my species told me of big hairless apes who drove metal vehicles, used touchscreen wireless devices for communication and entertainment, developed complicated languages, able to survive in frigid temperatures despite having no hair, and created some of the most complex technology in the entire world, enough to leave this planet! I wouldn’t believe them. Not until I saw them myself. Think about it, we are highly different creatures than anything that lives in this world! Think about it! Now, look at Bigfoot. She’s a hairy big ape who lives in North America. That is far simpler. There are stories of Bigfoots with braided hair and theories of them burying their dead, but still, that is nothing in comparison to us. And, no, personally, I don’t think Bigfoot just inhabits North America. Many continents have legends of big ape creatures. The Yeti, the Yowie, they’re big hairy apes. And, no, the Yeti is not white. Most stories describe them as the same colorization as Bigfoot, brown, reddish brown, ect. However, stories of white Bigfoots do exist, even in North America. And if you refuse to believe big eight feet tall apes exist today, well, the fossil record proves that some big hairy ape used to exist! She’s called Gigantopithecus. And it’s nearly the same exact thing as Bigfoot. So, if they existed back then, why can’t they, or something like them, exist today? Bigfoot is much easier to believe than to believe in us. The only reason we do believe in us is because we are us. Again, if I was another species of animal and was told two stories, one describing Bigfoot, one describing us, I would more likely believe in the Bigfoot story.

And finally, we come across one last final point, the fact that not many species stand alone in there, well, species. That’s kind of a rough way to explain it, but basically, there are more than one species of elephant. For example there are Asian elephants and there are African elephants. Now, would an Asian elephant not believe in an African elephant? Maybe, if he hadn’t seen one. But they do exist. There are more than one species of elephants living in this world. Would a blue jay bird not believe in a cardinal bird? It’s fact, not many species of animals are just one species. There are multiple species of elephant, there are multiple species of bird, there are multiple species of bear, there are multiple species of frog, and so on and so on. Is it that unlikely that maybe, just maybe, another species of human still exists to this day? Is it? Of course we now of Neanderthals who used to exist, or maybe they still do. Who’s to know? There’s a gruesome theory the reason they went extinct is because we (humans) ate them all and killed them off. Bigfoot believers are theorizing maybe, in order to survive, Neanderthals evolved to hide from humans. Maybe they grew bigger, too, so they could still have some defense against us. This would explain their mostly peaceful nature, they’re scared of us. Evolution can take a long time, so I’m not sure if they could have evolved that quickly, but it’s just a theory.

This in no way proves of Bigfoot’s existence, it only tries to make it a little more plausible. If you still don’t believe in Bigfoot, that’s fine with me. We all are entitled to our own beliefs. With this I only want to attempt to persuade the non-believers or people in the middle section who can't decide. But, if you continue to disbelieve in Bigfoot, ask yourself this; if you cannot believe in Bigfoot, how can you believe in yourself?

i can believe in myself because i am here. end off.

" Because tons of people saw gorillas just no one believed them. Well, tons of people see Bigfoot but no one believes them!"

NO NO JUST NO......people did and have seen gorillas and there is evidence of their existence...people have created stories and faked bigfoot sightings, there is absolutely no evidence it existed or does do today..BIG DIFFERENCE..

• Like 4

I know they exist... But before 1902 they were considered legends. Stories explorers of African Jungles told. I'm not dumb. Gorillas exist. And I clearly said this brings no light to proving Bigfoots existence. It only tries to make it a little plausible. My exact point is we are much more impossible to believe than Bigfoot. Like you said, the only reason you believe in yourself is that you are yourself. But our existence is like no other animal on this planet. No other creature has created such technology. If you don't agree, you don't. But how can you deny that we are the oddball of this planet?

Thing is, I want Bigfoot to be real. It would provide all sorts of opportunities for cultural and biological studies. Unfortunately, I can't reconcile my desire with the complete lack of physical evidence. Testimony and anecdotes are good sources of information, but they don't really prove anything. The Africans could provide gorilla meat and body parts. Every scrap of Bigfoot tissue I've heard of being analyzed was at best inconclusive and at worst a known animal.

There is a sliver of hope left, in the inconclusively identified hair and tissue and the stream of detailed reports. Weighed against the lack of physical evidence from what is presumed to be a decent-sized population, though, I'm not feeling confident in Bigfoot's existence.

• Like 1

Also, there is lots of evidence. I cannot see how the suspected Bigfoots in the Patterson/Gimlin Film and Independence Day Bigfoot video could have been a suit or CGI. Some suit, if it is. Hollywood would pay millions to use it.

I can understand how you feel, theotherguy, I feel kind of opposite, however. I don't see how evidence like body ratios and everything could be disproven.

I know they exist... But before 1902 they were considered legends. Stories explorers of African Jungles told. I'm not dumb. Gorillas exist. And I clearly said this brings no light to proving Bigfoots existence. It only tries to make it a little plausible. My exact point is we are much more impossible to believe than Bigfoot. Like you said, the only reason you believe in yourself is that you are yourself. But our existence is like no other animal on this planet. No other creature has created such technology. If you don't agree, you don't. But how can you deny that we are the oddball of this planet?

We have created technology, but never underestimate the cleverness of other animals. We are relying more and more on the technology we have invented, we are replacing our own natural instincts with it...is that clever? not sure! all we need is a major power cut by mother nature and then we will see who the clever ones are.

We are not oddballs, just greedy.

• Like 2

I know they exist... But before 1902 they were considered legends. Stories explorers of African Jungles told. I'm not dumb. Gorillas exist.

This is misinformation. While the Mountain Gorillas of Virunga were not officially recognized by science until the early 20th century, The eastern and western lowland gorillas have been know about for a looooong loooong time. At no point in history has the gorilla ever been considered legend.

• Like 1

Giganto as bigfoot presents a whole new host of issues. While 2, if not 3, species of giganto did exist,Gigantopithecus blacki is the one often labeled as bigfoot. However, Giganto is actually part of the Orang clade. They were large, no doubt, but were also quadrapedal and most likley terrestrial due to their size. Molar cusps and wear indicated that they ate mostly tubers, roots, bamboo and seeds. A primate that large that eats maily low quality foods has to eat them in abundance. Gorilla do this.They are inactive for most of the day and just sit and eat to extract all they need from the low quailty foods that they eat. Giagnto would have to do the same. With such a diet of low quality but abundance comes a rather gregarious social system. Like Gorilla, we would expect Giganto's to live in single male-multi female groups. You would find entire groups of them, not just lone individuals. They would also have rather small home ranges, making them exceptionally easy to track, much like gorillas today. The only issue in finding gorillas in the wild is that there numbers have become so low that there are less and less to find.

In short, Giganto in no way fits the image and "sightings" of bigfoot today.

• Like 4

I still think Bigfoot is supernatural, like a woods ghost or fairy

This is misinformation. While the Mountain Gorillas of Virunga were not officially recognized by science until the early 20th century, The eastern and western lowland gorillas have been know about for a looooong loooong time. At no point in history has the gorilla ever been considered legend.

Beat me to it.......

New they existed, but not in those mountains :)

See this Mountain Guerrilla thing used all the time........Just a tiny bit of research would show this is a poor debate point.

• Like 1

Beat me to it.......

New they existed, but not in those mountains :)

See this Mountain Guerrilla thing used all the time........Just a tiny bit of research would show this is a poor debate point.

It's one of those things that people just seem to think is true without any corroboration that gets brought up all the time. Gorillas were described scientifically in the early 1800's. The name comes from a 6th century BCE Carthaginian admiral.

• Like 2

...At no point in history has the gorilla ever been considered legend.

Wait! Wait, wait, wait... Excuse me.

I have to savour that moment. :)

• Like 5

Wait! Wait, wait, wait... Excuse me.

I have to savour that moment. :)

Oh you poor, simple camel.

• Like 3

Oh you poor, simple camel.

Biped wannabe.

• Like 5

There is no scientific reason why an undiscovered Ape or relict Hominid species couldn't exist North America (although it is nowhere near as plausible in North America as some of the other places such things are claimed to exist). This isn't why people don't take it seriously. Why they don't take it seriously is because it is a claim without any genuine evidence to support it and is very consistent with folklore.

It's good that you're open minded. Though it doesn't hurt to be a little skeptical either. For example who were these "scientists of the time who didn't believe" re gorillas? No bigfoot enthusiasts have really explained that one. How did you arrive at this conclusion? How did they arrive at the consensus that gorillas that didn't exist?

Gorillas were never like bigfoot. Natives had skulls of Gorillas. It's also a bit of a stretch to compare modern US with central Africa over a century ago. This also overlooks that Gorillas were found. That poaching has been a big problem for them also doesn't indicate they are as difficult to find as you say.

When sceptics say "it couldn't have avoided us for so long", they aren't talking about claims of sightings. When such claims go unevidenced for centuries, it's not unreasonable to look for other explanations. If no one had found Gorillas during centuries of exploration and exploitation of their claimed habitat, it would also be fair to conclude they were a myth. Yet people did find Gorillas and obtain specimens. See the difference?

It might also be worth researching the Giganto idea further. Perhaps even asking scientists (not necessarily bigfoot believers). Giganto was an Asian Ape and likely to have resembled a large Orangutan. There is no evidence that it did anything other than go extinct. Certainly nothing to indicate it made it to NA gaining bipedalism and morphing into basically a large hairy human along the way.

It looks like none of the other homo species made it to the present day, for various reasons. Homo sapiens have quite a knack for dominating things (including fellow homo sapiens). Whatever stands in our way or becomes inconvenient usually heads towards extinction. That's how we are.

No belief is required for us, our existence is an obvious fact. Not so for bigfoot.

Edited by Horta
  • Like 1

My exact point is we are much more impossible to believe than Bigfoot.

Actually, no...we're a very successful animal that fits a particular econiche.

But how can you deny that we are the oddball of this planet?

Easily. We're just ONE of almost two dozen different human species that have lived on this planet... from Australopithecus (seven different species of this genus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australopithecus) and around 15 species of the genus, Homo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo#List_of_species)

Additionally, members of the Homonini clade include others like us (chimps are our closest relative): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominini

We're hardly unique!

..on the other hand, this is a high school essay (and not a Masters' thesis or PhD dissertation.) It's fun exercise in the attempt to use persuasive arguments (or so I read it.) It's not rigorous enough for the debate team or for college but it sounds like it was fun to write.

• Like 1

Considering over ninety percent of old growth forests in North America have been logged, the plausibility of Giant Monkey Men becomes a bit of a stretch. At least where a,viable breeding population is concerned. Be hard to have missed them if they exist.

Lloyd Pye's comparison to Panda bears is more entertaining than the mountain gorilla argument. It still doesn't make bigfoot true, but st least he is amusing in his delivery.

Basically, the general idea of there being large new wolrd apes isn't impossible. The problem is that no (none/zip/nada) hard evidence (as in bones, bodies, DNA) of any of these critters has ever been found. Unless and until that kind of evidence can be presented Bigfoot won't be considered 'plausible'.

• Like 2

Bigfoot existing is plausible. Bigfoot existing and not being found yet is less plausible.

Edited by Blurfoot
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I am a supporter of Bigfoot's existence but no offense kid, your argument made no sense. If you want to support Bigfoot's existence use actual evidence, we have plenty of it. If you aren't sure as to where the best source of information for the evidence of Bigfoot look up Jeff Meldrum's book, Sasquatch: Legend meets Science. It is a companion book to the documentary by the same name, all the information from the documentary is also in the book plus much more information as well.

I think while a sasquatch is biologically feasible, we really have no reason to believe that it exists. None of the samples, tracks, or other pieces of evidence attributed to sasquatches have ever ended up being anything other than misidentification or hoaxes. That doesn't mean that everyone who finds evidence of a sasquatch or claims to see one is a liar--it just means that folks jump to conclusions when they see something they don't understand, or when they're afraid, or somesuch.