Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can the human brain become too 'full' ?

UM-Bot

With all the information we take in on a daily basis is it possible for the brain to run out of space ?

On the face of it our brains would seem to be capable of storing a practically limitless amount of information including our memories, the skills we have learned and all of our general knowledge.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/282318/can-the-human-brain-become-too-full

• Like 2

I think I have space left ... I'm still hearing echoes ...

~

• Like 4

I have to keep making space by ditching stuff. Trouble is, my brain doesn't ask my permission for what it's okay to chuck and what I would like to keep ..... it seems to choose quite randomly! :cry:

• Like 3

It's the Gremlins !

i can feel information leaving my brain all the time... stupid brain.

• Like 2

qUOTE: "At the other end of the spectrum there are also those who can barely remember anything at all and even have problems recalling things that happened to them only a few minutes earlier."

I WANT TO BE ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!

• Like 1

i have a big memory, i remember when things happen, the dates, like oh yeah guys, remember back in october 2004 when we did this

and everyone look at me like im a freak

• Like 2

It's always Jarjar's fault ~

• Like 1

I've recently defragged my brain. I had to do a system check as well. I think I've got my setting optimal.

• Like 1

Ok maybe I found an answr..

The human brain consists of about one billion neurons. Each neuron forms about 1,000 connections to other neurons, amounting to more than a trillion connections. If each neuron could only help store a single memory, running out of space would be a problem. You might have only a few gigabytes of storage space, similar to the space in an iPod or a USB flash drive.

Yet neurons combine so that each one helps with many memories at a time, exponentially increasing the brain’s memory storage capacity to something closer to around 2.5 petabytes (or a million gigabytes). For comparison, if your brain worked like a digital video recorder in a television, 2.5 petabytes would be enough to hold three million hours of TV shows. You would have to leave the TV running continuously for more than 300 years to use up all that storage.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-memory-capacity/

300 years of TV. I'm lucky to get an hour a day. Guess I'll have room left for a while.

I got through college not by being smart, but by remembering what I'd been taught and repeating it...... Not that I'm not smart too though.... :innocent: :innocent:

I dont remember what it's called but it has to do with short term memory, like right now you are probably taking in a lot of information; a lot of aliens which cant be processed into "photographic memory." So your brain, basically deletes some of that information, like the exact location of certain objects in your peripheral view, colors, etc. This can be applied to generally anything at any given moment, your brain really decides whats important and what isn't important. You could be reading this right now and not have even noticed

a lot of aliens which cant be processed into "photographic memory."
or perhaps you did notice it, and can consciously recall seeing it, because it was so "obvious." Whereas most of the information in this text is not instantly identifiable, you understand what im explaining and can even remember it, say a couple hours from now. But you wont be able to remember the first 14 words; even though you read them and understood them.

Our brains dont remember much beyond a couple of months, unless it made a huge impact on you or you made a habit of remembering it. Im pretty sure we wont run out of memory for a long time.

I´ve read somewhere that elderly people are slower in thinking process due to too much information needs to be processed by the brais, old age in not the only factor.

Vulcans must have unlimited mental capacity. No telling how many Vulcan mind melds Spock did. I want to be Vulcan.

This is interesting, i didnt read the article, or the comments. I am just going of the title.. That being said, how can the brain become to full when it is said that humans dont even "use" 100 percent of their brains... Didnt Einstein use a bigger portion then the majority of the public.. how are scientists speculating that the brain can be to "full" when we dont use it to the maximum potential ..

Maybe that's why memories fade with time. It's natures way of erasing old data to make room for new.

Maybe that's why memories fade with time. It's natures way of erasing old data to make room for new.

hmmm, my old mum has got to the stage where all she talks about is what happened 50+ odd years ago

• Like 1

hmmm, my old mum has got to the stage where all she talks about is what happened 50+ odd years ago

Yeah, parents can remember certain things in their lives but have a difficult time distinguishing which of

their children's names are.

This is interesting, i didnt read the article, or the comments. I am just going of the title.. That being said, how can the brain become to full when it is said that humans dont even "use" 100 percent of their brains... Didnt Einstein use a bigger portion then the majority of the public.. how are scientists speculating that the brain can be to "full" when we dont use it to the maximum potential ..

like Withoutnhight stated, we use all our brain, that hoax shoukd be dead and fullly decomposed by now

I remember an episode of Married with Children about this.... :w00t:

I remember an episode of Married with Children about this.... :w00t:

That you remember "Married with Children" alone means you have a good memory. :w00t::yes:

• Like 2

Just found out a local TV channel is running the full 'Mork and Mindy' series ~ the kids to tweens and teens are loving it ... :yes:

~

• Like 1