Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

South Koreans win Darpa robotics challenge

Still Waters

The contest is a battle of robots on an obstacle course meant to simulate conditions similar to the 2011 Fukushima nuclear plant disaster.

Team Kaist's DRC-Hubo humanoid robot defeated 22 others to win the top $2m prize from the US Department of Defense's Darpa research unit.

The robots had an hour to complete a series of tasks, such as a driving a car and walking up steps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-33038914

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DieChecker

• Ugly1

• Still Waters

• paperdyer

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool!

I didn't think anyone was going to beat that one hour limit. This really shows progress in humanoid/android robots. It will not be long now till the robot butlers, robot chauffeur, and robot cooks are wondering around your house. Robot soldiers and police and firefighters can't be far away either.

Great, I won't be able to cry my way out of a ticket anymore.

Great, I won't be able to cry my way out of a ticket anymore.

When we're all sitting in self-driving cars, you won't be getting tickets period.

Cool!

I didn't think anyone was going to beat that one hour limit. This really shows progress in humanoid/android robots. It will not be long now till the robot butlers, robot chauffeur, and robot cooks are wondering around your house. Robot soldiers and police and firefighters can't be far away either.

Yeah, let's put more people out of work and on welfare. The idea of robots doing "menial" jobs has always been the "brass ring" for humanity so we can do other more meaningful things. However this brass ring put more strain on the economy with higher unemployment rates as there won't be jobs available that the people replaced by robots are capable to do. Even with training most will fail to get these better jobs. We don't have robots now doing these menial jobs and look at the unemployment rate and the number of "hi-tech" jobs that go unfilled because the current pool of the unemployed can't be trained to do them. They are being out-sourced to other countries or people coming in with work visas. Don't get me wrong, I'm not begrudging these workers. I applaud them for getting the training/education needed. What gets me is the lack of qualified people in the US due to the lack of proper education/training or will to work. The last item, IMO, is a huge factor in why jobs are going to immigrants rather than current US citizens.

End of rant for now.