Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Lion elevator' restored in Rome's Colosseum

UM-Bot

The special mechanism used to hoist wild animals in to the world famous arena has now been rebuilt.

In its heyday the Colosseum would have been a sight to behold; the largest amphitheater ever built, this huge stone structure would have been frequently filled with the cheers of thousands of spectators as battle-hardened gladiators fought to the death in the arena below.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/282427/lion-elevator-restored-in-romes-colosseum

• Like 1

I have always wondered why the Colosseum is such a celebrated achievement. Maybe we should be more careful to classify the Colosseum as an architectural achievement, and a cultural failure.

While some gladiators fought willingly, most who died horribly in the Colosseum were prisoners. People arrested for various crimes, and religious beliefs. Many were prisoners of war from Rome's desire to rule the whole known World. Innocent men, women, young boys, and girls died in the Colosseum, eaten while they were still alive by Lions that rode up to the arena floor in elevators that have now been reconstructed.

Maybe a trip to the Colosseum should be more accuratley compared to a somber visit to Auschwitz.

• Like 1

This is just amazing! I love when archaeologists recreate stuff like this.

• Like 1

Maybe a trip to the Colosseum should be more accuratley compared to a somber visit to Auschwitz.

Rightly or wrongly, Romans viewed the events within the Colosseum as entertainment. No one has ever viewed the atrocities at Auschwitz to be anything entertaining. I doubt even the Nazis were entertained. They were simply doing what they thought was right.

• Like 1

House Flavian built the ring with money gained from sacking The Temple.

But Auschwitz was built with the intent to destroy people on an industrial scale, as quickly and cheaply as possible.

The Old Circle was built to amuse people for as long as possible so that they would not be forced to confront the horrible reality of their society.

2 very different things, made in very different times, by very different people, for very different reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavian_dynasty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colosseum

• Like 2

House Flavian built the ring with money gained from sacking The Temple.

But Auschwitz was built with the intent to destroy people on an industrial scale, as quickly and cheaply as possible.

The Old Circle was built to amuse people for as long as possible so that they would not be forced to confront the horrible reality of their society.

2 very different things, made in very different times, by very different people, for very different reasons.

http://en.wikipedia....Flavian_dynasty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colosseum

"The Old Circle was built to amuse people for as long as possible so that they would not be forced to confront the horrible reality of their society."

This is still happening with television, movies, videogames today...

• Like 1

No one is denying that, jarjar. But to compare something made for entertainment purposes to something designed to wipe out a group of people on a massive scale is to do a grave disservice to those who died.

"The Old Circle was built to amuse people for as long as possible so that they would not be forced to confront the horrible reality of their society."

This is still happening with television, movies, videogames today...

Absolutely....and media saturation, mobile hand held narcissism computational machines designed to titillate and amuse....er phones.

Entertainment is a key feature of the human experience.

And honestly, lion elevators are something of great interest to me. Because, who wants to think of lions being forced to walk up ramps. Come on, that is just cruel.

I have always wondered why the Colosseum is such a celebrated achievement. Maybe we should be more careful to classify the Colosseum as an architectural achievement, and a cultural failure.

While some gladiators fought willingly, most who died horribly in the Colosseum were prisoners. People arrested for various crimes, and religious beliefs. Many were prisoners of war from Rome's desire to rule the whole known World. Innocent men, women, young boys, and girls died in the Colosseum, eaten while they were still alive by Lions that rode up to the arena floor in elevators that have now been reconstructed.

Just think of this as the original version of MMA. But as the article is about the rebuilding of the lion elevator, one has to ask why? Is the Coliseum going to be used again as an entertainment venue? "In this corner, we have the poor smuck. WEighing in a 125 lbs. In the opposite corner, we have Leo, weighing in at 300+ lbs. Place your bets before the bell sounds" DING! Too late
  • Like 1

"2 very different things, made in very different times, by very different people, for very different reasons."

Same result in both eras of man's history, the death of innocent people who had a life to live out and enjoy.

If you have ever been to Rome, and experienced the tourist / carnival like atmosphere inside and outside the amphitheatre, it makes for a sharp contrast to the quiet, reverent visit to Auschwitz.

Well, they got that part fixed. That is good, now we got something to take care of any pesky ISIS idiots that get caught alive. Feed them to lions.

I don't think the Romans really discriminated who they killed for sport. I think it was more a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am glad I can destress with a video game and no one has to die. When I look at how violent video games are, I think, deep down, we humans haven't really charged all that much from being Romans. I think I'll go kill some cyber animals.

• Like 1

Just think of this as the original version of MMA. But as the article is about the rebuilding of the lion elevator, one has to ask why? Is the Coliseum going to be used again as an entertainment venue? "In this corner, we have the poor smuck. WEighing in a 125 lbs. In the opposite corner, we have Leo, weighing in at 300+ lbs. Place your bets before the bell sounds" DING! Too late

As one bearded gentleman observing the lions from his cell window said to fellow inmates...."Well I'll put it this way...if it 'aint a safari park, I think we've S*** it" :cry:

• Like 2

Well, they got that part fixed. That is good, now we got something to take care of any pesky ISIS idiots that get caught alive. Feed them to lions.

I don't think the Romans really discriminated who they killed for sport. I think it was more a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am glad I can destress with a video game and no one has to die. When I look at how violent video games are, I think, deep down, we humans haven't really charged all that much from being Romans. I think I'll go kill some cyber animals.

I was thinking that, but you know how these ISIS people are. We are probably both targets now.
  • Like 1

I was thinking that, but you know how these ISIS people are. We are probably both targets now.

I live in a redneck Florida neighborhood, most of them card carrying NRA members, I wish them luck getting up the street.

They should hold a special Eurovision Song Contest in the Colosseum, featuring all recent winners and real lions.