Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Population is a Problem!

Nefer-Ankhe

Thought some of you might find this interesting...

http://www.news.com....0-1227410724306

With the world’s population set to hit nine billion by 2050, demands on the Earth to meet food and water supplies could be stretched so tightly humankind will implode on itself; causing civil wars, relentless terrorism and heightened weather events that will leave the world in tatters.
  • Like 1

Inequitable use of what resources we have is IMO a more pressing concern. We're an intelligent species. Innovative too. We can overcome just about anything if we work together and for the common good.

I love you and the clarity of your foresight.

I worry that most people look at the world as what is right around them right now.....missing, the long-view. The far sight. The species.

On a side note have you read Jared Diamond's Collapse? He talks a lot about water and how we tend to think only of the good times and not plan ahead for the bad times. This is troubling in how it resonates with human behavior.

• Like 6

I know this much, we're like fish in a overcrowded fish tank getting on each other's nerves and it won't be long before we start tearing each other a part. Like other animals, we need lot's of room, preferably far away from each other sometimes (ought of sight and mind) and that's getting less and less these days as the human population grows on this planet.

• Like 4

My father in law is 89 and this topic has been a focus of his for several years. He financially supports an organization called NPG (negative population growth) He preaches the dangers of over population and explains what we in the west MUST do to keep the planet from going down the tubes. I point out to him regularly that it is not the west that is the issue. India, China and Indonesia are far worse offenders :(

• Like 7

I love you and the clarity of your foresight.

I worry that most people look at the world as what is right around them right now.....missing, the long-view. The far sight. The species.

On a side note have you read Jared Diamond's Collapse? He talks a lot about water and how we tend to think only of the good times and not plan ahead for the bad times. This is troubling in how it resonates with human behavior.

Water management is an issue, as California is proving. However as Australia routine proves, it's something we can adapt to (such as not watering our gardens from the tap, having 4 minute showers, using "grey water" from the washing machines to water the garden etc).

We are a hardy breed, we can adapt and evolve.

• Like 5

There is plenty of room and resources. I personally know farmers in upstate NY who the federal government pays to not farm. Hundreds of thousands of acres. From what I understand that's happening all over the country. Cali hasn't built a reservoir since the 70's. They haven't done anywhere near enough on that front to keep up with their population exposition since.

• Like 4

There are ways around these problems and some of them are so simple. Composting toilet completely cut out the 3 (or is it 4) gallons of water that they need to operate. Hydroponic systems can be constructed so easily. Put that fish tank you have to some use. Greywater systems can allow you to take sink, shower, and washing machine water and either filter it (though a sand filter) or directly into a ditch, which would allow it to reenter the water cycle. With over population, I find that nature tends to thin the herd from time to time. We become to adept at fighting back.

• Like 3

I take everything i read with a pinch of salt! Reguardless of how official or trustworthy the source to be,

we got through the world wars, we got through the plauge, we got through Justin beibers rise to fame.

problems arise, situations change, we constantly face negative variables, that is life! Its not plane sailing and never will be, overcoming these challenges is what we as a species does!

Reports like this are scaremongering political nonsense!

• Like 3

In the future people will be living in the skies and underwater and will be growing their own meat

Is this more about saving the first world countries? Up until now, we haven't exactly been doing our best to save the starving, high population areas of the planet - this article is based on numbers. The logistics of having 9 billion people to feed and water changes dramatically when you realize 3/4 of all those people are concentrated in small pockets in the third world. The total population is set to spike but speaking from experience, the first world isn't really feeling that pressure...not yet, anyways.

• Like 2

People do seem to go about their lives as if carrying capacity isn't a real thing. It is. Back in the old days, it's why they exposed many newborns. They were trying to keep their population down to what they could sustain, because they understood that resources are finite.

In this day and age, we shouldn't have this issue. It isn't like we don't have birth control. It's just that no one wants to sacrifice their own bloodline. And we also have people who are having as many kids as they possibly can. Religion tends to contribute to this. You hear people say, "It's not up to us," etc.

We are already starting to experience problems here due to severe weather and water shortage. This is everyone's problem.

Voluntary birth control and sterilization should be free, and/or incentives should be given. But this should have happened a long time ago, really. Third world countries may have overpopulation, but they also aren't industrialized like us. And in a lot of places, they're suffering the worst regarding climate change. They're the ones who are going to be on the front lines, paying first for the mistakes of the industrialized world.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

How can the population peak in 2050 if the world collapse is in 2040 :rolleyes:

Looks like they are going to make people say goodbye to "organic" foods and say hello to tasty GMO foods. ( Personal Opinion )

http://www.nature.co...fingtonpost.com

Or we might have to get rid of those pristine lawns we like so much here, and grow some of our own food.

• Like 3

People do seem to go about their lives as if carrying capacity isn't a real thing. It is. Back in the old days, it's why they exposed many newborns. They were trying to keep their population down to what they could sustain, because they understood that resources are finite.

In this day and age, we shouldn't have this issue. It isn't like we don't have birth control. It's just that no one wants to sacrifice their own bloodline. And we also have people who are having as many kids as they possibly can. Religion tends to contribute to this. You hear people say, "It's not up to us," etc.

We are already starting to experience problems here due to severe weather and water shortage. This is everyone's problem.

Voluntary birth control and sterilization should be free, and/or incentives should be given. But this should have happened a long time ago, really. Third world countries may have overpopulation, but they also aren't industrialized like us. And in a lot of places, they're suffering the worst regarding climate change. They're the ones who are going to be on the front lines, paying first for the mistakes of the industrialized world.

THIS - We have self-driving cars and robots rolling around on other planets. It's high time to suck it up and admit the smart thing to do is institute some kind of birth control. This planet isn't getting any better and we're not pumping any new fresh water into the Great Lakes...the clock is ticking. You can feed the world on GMO food (maybe) but to what end? There is a balance we have to find between population size and quality of life.

• Like 1

I have a huge garden n grow alot of my own food... the problem with that is its still not enough. Only certain things grow here in certain amounts that are ripe for a certain amount of time. It would be pretty hard to grow enough food to live on.

• Like 1

I really depends on how much food you consume. I typically eat only 2 meals a day (having been dirt poor you learn to hold back) with both those meals being small. What you grow offsets what you purchases.

• Like 1

I'm in the middle on this.

We need to do a better job taking care of our planet but I've watched many "the end is nigh" reports come and pass with absolutely no changes to our current problems. This is not apathy on my part but just a cycle I'm noticing.

We really, badly, need to take care of our planet better. We only get one Earth.

I'll have to find the video, but someone had a large garden on I think 2 acres of land.

There are some great small space solutions. People using tiers of soda bottles to grow a decent amount of food in really tight spaces. I think that's probably gonna be something that's a widespread practice very soon, as well as water collection.

This guy grows it in his apartment.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

When I bought my new place we bought some 2 by 10 planks and made three planters that are 5 foot by 7 foot, and put some vegetable starts in them. I'd be shocked if anyone could grow more then a month or two of food out of something that size. Really if you want to have a sustaining garden you're going to need like a half acre to feed a family of four.

• Like 1

I tend to agree that the problem isn't the nine billion people, but feeding all of them and getting clean living facilities for all of them. Humans tend to want to Herd together, and so you end up with these crazy crowded places where feeding everyone would be impossible without modern technology. Nations that can't sustain their people should work to reduce their nations population, or at least work to level off the population.

• Like 3

I know this much, we're like fish in a overcrowded fish tank getting on each other's nerves and it won't be long before we start tearing each other a part. Like other animals, we need lot's of room, preferably far away from each other sometimes (ought of sight and mind) and that's getting less and less these days as the human population grows on this planet.

I've shared this sentiment for a long time, but we can get over it, grow up from that. But that's not the biggest problem, that would be the solution, though not a nice solution...

Problem is we use this planet like drug addicts use a public toilet. Regarding nature, environment.

Genuine nature can do so much good for us, heal us from the inside, it's not just hippie talk. It's blissful to be in the middle of the forest free of worries, just birds and a random rabbit keeping you company (and maybe some big, dangerous furballs if you go to certain places). We are worse off without nature, lush, vital nature: it's a matter of general well-being, of mind and body (and soul for those who believe in one). It's not a matter of logic or thinking about it from your house at computer, it's a matter of going out there and realizing it by yourself. That's not something anyone can give it to you any other way.

It's hard to respect others if we don't respect nature. We are what we eat, mentally too. Captive, miserable creatures inside, but sedated and allowed our illusions. But our nature is such that we strive to be free from illusions and experience true reality because we always know it'll be more fulfilling, that's one goal towards which we'll be always walking, no matter how scary it is and how much time we as individuals need to muster our courage for those lil' steps on the road.

That why people will rebel, peacefully or not. They will deviate from this order, peaceful or not. Or perish trying, as a species.

And it's an illusion that we'd be the happiest we can without the rest of the nature with us.

There's very easy ways to counter overpopulation: birth control, cannibalism, wars, increased education, increased well-being, GMO and food additives & all kinda toxins, illusions like in modern Japan (guys preoccupied with virtual women because real ones are too difficult)... methods are not the problem, it's the will and effort.

But overpopulation is not a problem if it doesn't generate a problem. Problems it generates: people living too close to each others, counter with skyscrapers and such for those who like city, and make cities more appealing for most people. Nature being destroyed because lotsa people need food: cultivate food in the kinda ways that allow nature to be in pristine state or almost. Permaculture & hunting.

If anyone tells you for any reason permaculture's not a valid method, check the most succesful permaculture growers (and other similiar growers) out there, check their harvests, by yourself if you have to. Theorizing is pointless when you can do that. Then if you find permaculture works, learn it, grow, if you have the will. If not, it's cool, plenty of people who have the will (but not means, education for that, money for starters).

World is in good hands, dont know if same can be said about the humanity at large.