Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mystery of Göbekli Tepe

TheBIHLover

Göbekli Tepe is one of the most interesting archaeological sites in the 21. century. Göbekli Tepe was discovered by German archaeologist Klaus Schmidt. Klaus Schmidt discovered the site in 1996 and he studied the sited until his death in 2014. The site is in southern-eastern Turkey near the Syrian border.

It is suggested that the site is over 12 000 years old (10 000 years BP). This discovery rewrites our history and once again it proves that humans were not hunters and gatherers (like the books and teachers teach us), but advanced.

What was the purpose of Göbekli Tepe? What does this do to our history? Why is the monuments T-shaped?

These are some of the questions that can be discussed.

This site rises more questions than answers and I will gladly read your opinion.

This discovery rewrites our history and once again it proves that humans were not hunters and gatherers (like the books and teachers teach us), but advanced.

How does GT 'prove' we were not HG at that time period? 'We' had tribes that were and still are HG in the 21st century. What has been noted is other groups at that time were concentrating more on gathering than hunting, ie beginning the movement to agriculture and animal domestication.

Books read by teachers are written by the people who based said books on what is known based on the evidence we have - which then and now points to HG's at the stages I noted above. What exactly do you mean by advanced? Now we know very little about who may have built GT at present the information on the builders is very limited.

• Like 2

How does GT 'prove' we were not HG at that time period? 'We' had tribes that were and still are HG in the 21st century. What has been noted is other groups at that time were concentrating more on gathering than hunting, ie beginning the movement to agriculture and animal domestication.

Books read by teachers are written by the people who based said books on what is known based on the evidence we have - which then and now points to HG's at the stages I noted above. What exactly do you mean by advanced? Now we know very little about who may have built GT at present the information on the builders is very limited.

So you are saying that hunters and gatherers built Göbekli Tepe and possibly more strucutres around the world?

Yes, it is possible that some people were hunters and gatherers, but not the whole humanity. The people were much more advanced when it comes to thinking, construction etc. How on earth could people transport all the block to Machu Picchu for example? How on earth could people build pyramids all around the world without any cranes that we use in modern times? That is what I mean when I say advanced.

So you are saying that hunters and gatherers built Göbekli Tepe and possibly more strucutres around the world?

Based on the evidence we have right now there aren't any other types about - other structures - no I was commenting on GT only. The people who lived at Nevali Cori may have been from the same culture.

Yes, it is possible that some people were hunters and gatherers, but not the whole humanity.

At the time period we are talking about the evidence shows that pretty much everyone was as we don't have indications of husbandry or agriculture at that time

The people were much more advanced when it comes to thinking, construction etc.

The people who built GT would have been innovators but it doesn't appear that they were anymore 'advanced' that others. I think our disagreement is based on not having a common agreement on what 'advanced' means

How on earth could people transport all the block to Machu Picchu for example?

Ah....MP was built 10,000+ years after GT and has nothing to do with it....

How on earth could people build pyramids all around the world without any cranes that we use in modern times? That is what I mean when I say advanced.

Yeah but we are talking about GT and they didn't build (AFAWK) pyramids....

Aliens, obviously :whistle:

Of course!

• Like 4

I think that right now we don't have a full site excavation OR a lot of good excavations in that area. Yes, there's mysteries, but our idea of what was there and who did it may change as we uncover more.

...assuming ISIL doesn't enter the area and start blowing things up.

• Like 3

Göbekli Tepe is one of the most interesting archaeological sites in the 21. century. Göbekli Tepe was discovered by German archaeologist Klaus Schmidt. Klaus Schmidt discovered the site in 1996 and he studied the sited until his death in 2014. The site is in southern-eastern Turkey near the Syrian border.

It is suggested that the site is over 12 000 years old (10 000 years BP). This discovery rewrites our history and once again it proves that humans were not hunters and gatherers (like the books and teachers teach us), but advanced.

What was the purpose of Göbekli Tepe? What does this do to our history? Why is the monuments T-shaped?

You're over-generalizing with this statement as it does not "rewrite our history" as you claim. At best it shows that large structures were created much earlier than previously evidenced. It also doesn't show that humans 'were not hunters and gatherers' particularly since no evidence has been found yet to suggest a sedentary way of life for any group of local contemporary peoples nor to what specific group of peoples GT's construction can be attributed.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 5

The stone of Machu Picchu originated on site. The quarry is right there in plain sight in the middle of the darn place! All it took to build all the ancient structures in the world, from Machu Picchu to the Coliseum without modern power equipment was human ingenuity. The fact that we can't conceive of doing it their way makes no nevermind. Human will always finds a way.

Is anything known about the people who resided there?

Going from memory here, but the people were pre agricultural hunters and gatherers.

There is some indication at the site that there were people there year round who tended the site and replanted wild seed, probably just scattering the seed around.

Obviously there was some sort of probably religious or ceremonial use of the site and orobably inidcates multiple tribes came together to construct the megalithic site.

Interestingly the first one was the better looking monument. After awhile the site eas ritually buried and a new one was constructed. The later ones weren't as well done, may indicate a breaking up of the tribes or lack of ability to transfer skills for some reason.

All from memory, though.

• Like 2

I think that right now we don't have a full site excavation OR a lot of good excavations in that area. Yes, there's mysteries, but our idea of what was there and who did it may change as we uncover more.

...assuming ISIL doesn't enter the area and start blowing things up.

Fortunately located in Turkey but still at risk being in the ME where destruction of sites is a local pass time (for looting purposes).

Going from memory here, but the people were pre agricultural hunters and gatherers.

There is some indication at the site that there were people there year round who tended the site and replanted wild seed, probably just scattering the seed around.

Obviously there was some sort of probably religious or ceremonial use of the site and orobably inidcates multiple tribes came together to construct the megalithic site.

Interestingly the first one was the better looking monument. After awhile the site eas ritually buried and a new one was constructed. The later ones weren't as well done, may indicate a breaking up of the tribes or lack of ability to transfer skills for some reason.

All from memory, though.

With the sun higher in the sky, Schmidt ties a white scarf around his balding head, turban-style, and deftly picks his way down the hill among the relics. In rapid-fire German he explains that he has mapped the entire summit using ground-penetrating radar and geomagnetic surveys, charting where at least 16 other megalith rings remain buried across 22 acres. The one-acre excavation covers less than 5 percent of the site. He says archaeologists could dig here for another 50 years and barely scratch the surface.

The German's are well known for slow frightfully thoroughly excavations - they excavated Baalbek for a century - (with time off for a few wars)

A good article and the last one I believe which speaks to the head archie before his death

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/?no-ist=

• Like 1

All from memory, though.

Yes, it is maybe possible that they used that site for religious purposes, but why T-shaped? I think the purpose is more advanced.

Here is a nice video about Göbekli Tepe:

The video features the fraud of Bosnia. Nothing worth watching in that case.

• Like 2

Yes, it is maybe possible that they used that site for religious purposes, but why T-shaped? I think the purpose is more advanced.

Such as?

T-shaped perhaps to hold up the wood/or thatch roof

• Like 1

Such as?

T-shaped perhaps to hold up the wood/or thatch roof

Well, I haven't studied the site that much, but I think that it was more advanced.

Nah, I don't think so.

Edited by TheBIHLover

Here is a nice video about Göbekli Tepe:

Actually not a very good video just a fake scientist giving his opinions.

Falsehoods: States that the conclusion by archaeologists are controlled by those who provide the finance - yeah...

Seems to find some connection with Eastern Island because of the hands - solution not very good artists - hands are hard to represent something well known

Thinks HS just couldn't build it some others did but doesn't say who

Seem to be saying HG could not build but also was before agriculture so who did - he doesn't say

Seems to think limestone is very hard.....

Etc.

Well, I haven't studied the site that much, but I think that it was more advanced.

The first comment doesn't support the second

Nah, I don't think so.

Again denial without reasoning so....Nah, I don't think so.

Superior and more modern video on GT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koTjkQ5OlW4

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

The first comment doesn't support the second

Again denial without reasoning so....Nah, I don't think so.

Superior and more modern video on GT

https://www.youtube....h?v=koTjkQ5OlW4

Thank you for the documentary. I will watch it when I have time. :)

Actually not a very good video just a fake scientist giving his opinions.

Falsehoods: States that the conclusion by archaeologists are controlled by those who provide the finance - yeah...

Seems to find some connection with Eastern Island because of the hands - solution not very good artists - hands are hard to represent something well known

Thinks HS just couldn't build it some others did but doesn't say who

Seem to be saying HG could not build but also was before agriculture so who did - he doesn't say

Seems to think limestone is very hard.....

Etc.

Just no.

I don't like the documentary.

The guy that leads the documentary had his mind made up that these were stone age hunter/gatherers before any investigation took place. It just doesn't make sense why hunters and gathereres would built such structures (over 15 of them) 12 000 years ago and how could the people that wasn't that ''advanced'' than other civilizations build that? I am telling you. Göbekli Tepe builders are more advanced.

I don't like the documentary.

The guy that leads the documentary had his mind made up that these were stone age hunter/gatherers before any investigation took place. It just doesn't make sense why hunters and gathereres would built such structures (over 15 of them) 12 000 years ago and how could the people that wasn't that ''advanced'' than other civilizations build that? I am telling you. Göbekli Tepe builders are more advanced.

It gets explained in the video. I linked to that because you seem to believe video more than PRP. To summarize these HG may have been sedentary and gathering a great deal of grain that was wild grown, something that could be done in that part of the world at that time.

Simply stating over and over again that they were 'advanced' is an argument - trying explaining why or what way they were 'advanced'?

Now they were 'advanced' (however the word 'advanced' has a different meaning in the fringe world which is why I use it reluctantly) in that they could work limestone with stone, organize and do basic engineering and art - is that what you mean by advanced?

Or something else?

• Like 2

Just no.

Well he does say all of that but considering his back ground in fraud it probably is a good idea to just say 'no'.

It gets explained in the video. I linked to that because you seem to believe video more than PRP. To summarize these HG may have been sedentary and gathering a great deal of grain that was wild grown, something that could be done in that part of the world at that time.

Simply stating over and over again that they were 'advanced' is an argument - trying explaining why or what way they were 'advanced'?

Now they were 'advanced' (however the word 'advanced' has a different meaning in the fringe world which is why I use it reluctantly) in that they could work limestone with stone, organize and do basic engineering and art - is that what you mean by advanced?

Or something else?

I know the word advanced is big. What I mean with advanced is; people that are more spiritualy or more advanced when it comes to building stuff. It is just weird that many of the cranes that are built today can't take those ancient blocks and put it somewhere else. If you know what I mean.

Advanced in building stuff.