Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Video Games Breed Violence?

BurnSide

Debate idea by monkeymanz89.

This has been done before in the last debate season, but i'd like to see a fresh new perspective on the old debate.

Do violent videogames create violence in our society? Some people believe a firm yes and others think this is silly. But is there scientific truth behind this statement? Games like Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, even the older generation doom games show blood and gore and extreme violence. Does this affect us negatively?

I'm looking for two people to debate this subject in a formal, 1 vs 1 person debate that will consist of one opening and one conclusion post from each debater with 4 body posts in between.

Once i get someone to debate for videogames creating violence and one person to debate that video games to not create violence in society. Then i will post the rules.

Thank you. Any questions, you know my PM. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• ChrisC098

• sheila12

Thank you ChrisCO98.

Now we'll wait for one more person to debate that videogames DO breed violence, and we'll get this one underway. original.gif

devvo and TheCrow, sorry but ChrisC098 and sheila12 posted their interest first and since this is a 1 on 1 debate, they will be participating. I apologise.

Okay, debaters ready!

sheila12 will be debating that videogames do breed violence in our society.

ChrisC098 will be arguing that they do not and are perfectly safe.

Each debater will post one introductory post stating their view on the topic, followed by four body posts each where the judges will mark the debaters style, relevance, countering and persuasivness, and then each debater will post one conclusion post where they sum up their entire argument.

Keep it civil and polite, no flaming or offensive posts at all. And remember to state your sources should you use any.

Good luck to both debaters, PM me if you have any further questions! thumbsup.gif

Video games can cause violence and nightmares.You could get in trouble at school or worse you could break the law.Some games like the silent hill series may have very scary creatures and could for some people anyway there might be sleepless nights.Violent video games also cause to get stressed easily and might cause you to take out your stress violently.So I say some video games create violence.Plus the effects will be different in kids and adults.I remeber reading an article in magazine about violence in video games but I don't remember when I read it.

Edited by sheila12

Raistlin Majere, post deleted. Sorry, only the debaters can post in the formal debates.

• 2 weeks later...

Some say that Video Games breed violence. Who is too say what creates violence and what does not? I am personally a very avid gamer and am not a very violent person. In fact in my experience games help to diminish violence by reliveving stress and is a substitute for other violent activities that may occur out of free time. In short, Video Games do not create violence.

• 2 weeks later...

Video games could cause to hit someone and hurt them really bad.The reason that this might happen is you keep losing battles and it could cause anger to build up in you.Then you miight do something against the law just because you are mad.You could slap someone or almost kill them.Or it could cause nightmares and that might also cause violence.

• 2 weeks later...

Video games could cause to hit someone and hurt them really bad.The reason that this might happen is you keep losing battles and it could cause anger to build up in you.Then you miight do something against the law just because you are mad.You could slap someone or almost kill them.Or it could cause nightmares and that might also cause violence.

431003[/snapback]

True enough, but if you have anger control issues that extreme your going to do something anyway. Also if a child has an anger problem or a history of violence at the drop of a hat then the parents of the child should not let the child be playing the games in the first place. It is up to parents to moniter and control there kids actions if they have anger problems or anything of the sort.

Edited by ChrisC098

• 3 weeks later...

sheila12 your response please.

• 2 weeks later...

Evidently this one is finished.

There's not enough to judge, so i'm just closing it, with ChrisC098 the winner since Sheila failed to reply.

Thank you both for taking part.