Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Synthetic blood transfusions could begin

Still Waters

Synthetic red blood cells are to be transfused into human testing subjects by 2017, the UK's National Health Service (NHS) Blood and Transplant announced this week.

"Scientists across the globe have been investigating for a number of years how to manufacture red blood cells to offer an alternative to donated blood to treat patients," says Dr. Nick Watkins, NHS Blood and Transplant Assistant Director of Research and Development.

Replacing human blood is not the goal of the operation, according to Dr. Watkins, who says the intention is to provide the appropriate blood product for specific conditions, a sort of customization of blood transfusions.

http://news.yahoo.co...-103549549.html

I imagine that in the near future there will be a revolution of sorts in new inventions and new developments in science and this artificial blood transfusion thing is only one facet of a broader innovation. I don't like the idea of blood transfusion, limb replacement, plastic surgery, body alteration of any sorts or whatever else you can squeeze into that subject. Everyone wants to live forever in pristine condition but the truth is, if you want to live several centuries in an active body, then the science to make that happen is right around the corner and many of us will get to see it in our own lifetimes. Truth is that if you want to live far beyond the current lifespans that are feasible then you will need to accept procedures like stem cell cloning, genetic bathing, artificial blood transfusions, android limb and organ replacements, donor programs, cell treatments and an endless list of other new sciences that are making eternal youth ever more within reach. Soon you'll be reading about artificial blood transfusions that contain nano-bots that destroy cholesterol cells and repair vein wear and tear. It's really "The Skies Are The Limit!" when it comes to this sort of thing. Let's hope they don't classify the greater stuff out of greed and control.

The synthetic blood would not increase the life span. It's intended, as the article states, to be used to help in supplying rare blood types at first. These transfusions could be used during operations where blood is needed or when someone has lost a huge amount of blood from an injury for instance.

• Like 1

Awesome news! And vampires can finally go vegan. :yes:

Edited by FissionChip
  • Like 1

I imagine that in the near future there will be a revolution of sorts in new inventions and new developments in science and this artificial blood transfusion thing is only one facet of a broader innovation. I don't like the idea of blood transfusion, limb replacement, plastic surgery, body alteration of any sorts or whatever else you can squeeze into that subject. Everyone wants to live forever in pristine condition but the truth is, if you want to live several centuries in an active body, then the science to make that happen is right around the corner and many of us will get to see it in our own lifetimes. Truth is that if you want to live far beyond the current lifespans that are feasible then you will need to accept procedures like stem cell cloning, genetic bathing, artificial blood transfusions, android limb and organ replacements, donor programs, cell treatments and an endless list of other new sciences that are making eternal youth ever more within reach. Soon you'll be reading about artificial blood transfusions that contain nano-bots that destroy cholesterol cells and repair vein wear and tear. It's really "The Skies Are The Limit!" when it comes to this sort of thing. Let's hope they don't classify the greater stuff out of greed and control.

The sky's the limit only for the super wealthy. Want to live to 1000? Fine. you will need money. Lots of it. And when it is all said and done, do you really want to live in the ****ty future of mankind the way its going now? Endless Obama liberals. A once great nation taken over by people who cant speak English???? Constant drought and illness? Terrorism? I'll pass... Edited by russ117044

So True Blood is a real thing...

Edit: Spelling

Edited by McFakename

The synthetic blood would not increase the life span. It's intended, as the article states, to be used to help in supplying rare blood types at first. These transfusions could be used during operations where blood is needed or when someone has lost a huge amount of blood from an injury for instance.

It also has a benefit for those religious types that forbid regular blood transfusions.

I think it is a bit nonsense, but I would rather them live than die from a easily survivable injury or malady.