Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 3]

Abramelin

Ok i know we are talking about Indo-European languages so you might expect them to be similar , but below is a picture of a fortress in the Western Ghats of India.

Western-Ghats.jpg

This one i am informed is either Raigadh , or Pratagadh , that part gadh meaning fort , or walled enclosure , and you can clearly see a connection to the word.. gard , of waragard or mannagard dont you think ?

Edited by Passing Time

Ok i know we are talking about Indo-European languages so you might expect them to be similar , but below is a picture of a fortress in the Western Ghats of India.

Western-Ghats.jpg

This one i am informed is either Raigadh , or Pratagadh , that part gadh meaning fort , or walled enclosure , and you can clearly see a connection to the word.. gard , of waragard or mannagard dont you think ?

Possibly, yes. In one of my books I argued that the r had fallen away in a word, and indeed, when I consulted a professor in the Frisian language, I was referred to sources that showed that this had occurred. The question is whether it can be shown that the same has occurred with -gadh. Did it used to be -gardh?

In another of my books - about Zwarte Piet - I gave a lot of attention to the etymology of gard. I then had no knowledge of the gadh connection that you propose.

Ell , are any of your books on line , i would be interested in reading them if so ..... regarding the likeness of gard and gadh you could pronounce them so there is hardly any difference in sound , as we know from some of the u-tube vids on line some words of Frisian are almost identical to English ( or Angle-sh )

if Pratagadh is the name of the Fort in the picture , how tempting is it to think of men on the top of it for months on end under siege, naming it Pratagadh or Pray-to-God.

Edited by Passing Time

regarding the likeness of gard and gadh you could pronounce them so there is hardly any difference in sound

Yes, I know. However, if an r appears or disappears there have to be arguments for it not having been present and vice versa before. If gadh and gard are to be etymologically related there has got to be supporting evidence, which most likely has already been documented, but not yet been connected to a gardh - gadh shift.

Edited by Ell

It's spelled Pratapgarh and is all in etymological order.

Edited by The Puzzler

Hi Puz .....Just checked my info regarding the spelling... and find that the person who advised me it may be either

raigadh or Pratagadh .....did actually have it as PrataPgadh.....my bad...awful handwritting when i am taking notes,

must improve that.....he is an Indian himself avatar "Jinit"

So i thought i would check a bit further to see about your spelling of Garh , i find in this address :-

http://en.wikipedia....aji's_forts they are spelled Rajgad and Pratapgad.

so for fort or walled area we now have OLB Gard , and Indian Gad , Garh and Gadh... but i still think they are likely

different versions of the same word.....however the temptation to see Pratapgadh being Pray-to-God is a lot less

likely with the p.

Ell .... thanks for link to your E.Books

Edited by Passing Time

Pray To God seems unlikely simply because I can't recall an instance of Wr-Alda being called "God"

Yeah, look, even I can't prescribe to these quite fanciful etymological descriptives but I love a good imagination and have even come up with a few in my days here but it has to be fairly solid for me now.

The Sanskrit words all relate to a core YARD. Every other word has radiated from his concept, from garden to fort, to town to yards, old as old this concept is.

This seems to be a very long thread. I find it intriguing that you don't seem to be innundated with naysayers, so intrigued that I even went to wikipedia.

I'm now even more intrigued at the lack of hostility, it seemed clear that the Wikipedia editors considerthe Oera Linda Book to be a palpable forgery. Worse, Himmler and occult Nazis liked it.

Is this immunity from trolling due to good fortune? Extreme intellectualism? Utter lunacy? Rabid Nationalism? Or something else?

I can't find an ebook (ideally free) by Robert Scrutton, is there any way I can dip my toes into these Frisian books of revelation without paying for it?

Would I even want a book by him anyway?

Is there an English translation of the original work?

http://oeralinda.web...oera-linda-book

Okay so that link is the Followers section, whatever that is. Would still prefer ebook.

Edited by zxc

This seems to be a very long thread. I find it intriguing that you don't seem to be innundated with naysayers, so intrigued that I even went to wikipedia.

I'm now even more intrigued at the lack of hostility, it seemed clear that the Wikipedia editors considerthe Oera Linda Book to be a palpable forgery. Worse, Himmler and occult Nazis liked it.

Is this immunity from trolling due to good fortune? Extreme intellectualism? Utter lunacy? Rabid Nationalism? Or something else?

I can't find an ebook (ideally free) by Robert Scrutton, is there any way I can dip my toes into these Frisian books of revelation without paying for it?

Would I even want a book by him anyway?

Is there an English translation of the original work?

http://oeralinda.web...oera-linda-book

Okay so that link is the Followers section, whatever that is. Would still prefer ebook.

Hello, thanks for popping your thoughts in.

Personally I like the fairly standard angelfire translation with transliteration also. http://oeralinda.angelfire.com

Interesting. Maybe some of all of the above.

• Like 1

I can't recall an instance of Wr-Alda being called "God"

"GOD" in OLB is usually an adjective, meaning good or perfect.

But sometimes it is also used as a noun, to mean "god". (Also: AFGODA: idols, 'off-gods'.)

p.35

NÉAN SÉIDE MIN.ERVA.

MEN IK NE KÀN NÉNE GODA THÉR ÀRG.DVANDE SEND.

[... ] IK KÀN ÉN GODE. THÀT IS WRALDAS GÁST.

MEN THRVCH THAM ER GOD IS. DVATH.ER ÁK NEN KWÁD.

"No," Minerva said,

"since I do not know any gods that do evil,

(...) I only know one 'god', that is the world spirit (or: Wralda's spirit),

but because 'god' means good, he also does no evil."

p.99

THÉRVMBE IS WRALDA ALLÉNA GOD.

ÀND THÉR NE SEND NÉNE GODA BUTA HIM.

[...] GOD IS ALLÉNA VNFORANDERLIK.

THRVCH THAT WRALDA GOD IS

ALSA NE MÉI HI AK NAVT FOR ANDERJA.

p.103

WY FRYA.S BERN SEND FORSKINSLA

THRVCH WR.ALDA.S LÉVA. [...]

SVNDER Á SA GOD TO WRDA

AS WR.ALDA SELVA.

(...)

without ever becoming so good/ perfect (godlike)

as Wralda himself

p.158

WRALDA IS WIS ÀND GOD ÀND AL FÁRSJANDE.

NÉIDAM.ER NV WIST [...]

ALSA HETH.ER AN THJU TÁL

ÉNE RJUCHT FÉRDIGE ÀJENDOMLIKHÉD FÀST BONDEN.

[...] NÉIDAM VSA TÁLE THUS [...]

THÉRVMBE IS HJU MITH ALLE RJUCHT

GOD.IS TÁLE HÉTEN.

[...] GOD.IS.SKALKUM [...] GOD.IS ÉWA

(...)

God's language ... god's helpers ... god's laws

I left some of the fragments untranslated, so you can have some fun with them yourselves.

Some queries.

Are Finns Finnish?

Minno is Minos does that mean, or is it reasonably possible, that Frya is Freya, Lyda is Leda, Finda is Diana, Eva is Eve?

If so, isn't that a little too neat?

Volksmoeder is Folk Mother, I presume. Eeremoeder is ? Burgtmaagd is another type of Mother?

There are a few mentions of seafaring and the historical population maps show Mediterranean colonies as well as Britain etc: http://oeralinda.web...s-mothers-kings Were these people thought to be a seafaring people who were land based like the Vikings or were they people who traded much like any other coastal/river people.

Laws for the Navigators (9) the use of the word 'topsailman', is this an odd translation for a lookout or are Frisian ships supposed to have had sails that would correspond with what we call a topsail?

I think it ought to be put up on project Gutenberg or something similar so that anyone can access it free online or offline. I'm sure someone will ask why I don't do it...

I'll ask about Atlantis later... It is Atlantis?

Edited by zxc

Yes, the Finns are Finnish. The Magyars and Finns correspond to the Finno-Ugric peoples.

Volksmoeder (folksmoder) is indeed Folk Mother. Eeremoeder (eremoder) is interpreted by Scrutton as Earth Mother, but I would suggest First Mother as a better translation. Burgtmaagd (burchfam) is Borough Maid.

The Frisians were both seafarers and traders, and were famous as these well into the historical period.

Atland is certainly Atlantis. See, for example, Olaf Rudbeck's Atlantica (Atland eller Manheim).

• Like 1

Yes, the Finns are Finnish. The Magyars and Finns correspond to the Finno-Ugric peoples.

Volksmoeder (folksmoder) is indeed Folk Mother. Eeremoeder (eremoder) is interpreted by Scrutton as Earth Mother, but I would suggest First Mother as a better translation. Burgtmaagd (burchfam) is Borough Maid.

The Frisians were both seafarers and traders, and were famous as these well into the historical period.

Atland is certainly Atlantis. See, for example, Olaf Rudbeck's Atlantica (Atland eller Manheim).

Magyars and Finns have a similar language I think but are they genetically related?

I know people move about and that the old Finns may have been elsewhere to the modern Finns, nevertheless, the map on the site I linked to above seems to show that at the height of their (empire)? the borders stopped at Denmark and this is of course short of Finland.

What is a Borough Maids purpose?

Magyars and Finns have a similar language I think but are they genetically related?

I know people move about and that the old Finns may have been elsewhere to the modern Finns, nevertheless, the map on the site I linked to above seems to show that at the height of their (empire)? the borders stopped at Denmark and this is of course short of Finland.

What is a Borough Maids purpose?

Hungarian (Magyar) and Finnish are both part of the Finno-Ugric language family, as are a number of others, such as Estonian. This implies a genetic relation.

The OLB tells us that Skenland, or southern Sweden, was once part of Frisian territory. The Finns later settled to the north, and subsequently took control of Skenland in 2013 BC.

A Borough Maid was in charge of the maidens of a borough (or citadel, in Sandbach's translation), who watched over the eternally-burning flame, or lamp (foddik).

Hungarian (Magyar) and Finnish are both part of the Finno-Ugric language family, as are a number of others, such as Estonian. This implies a genetic relation.

The OLB tells us that Skenland, or southern Sweden, was once part of Frisian territory. The Finns later settled to the north, and subsequently took control of Skenland in 2013 BC.

A Borough Maid was in charge of the maidens of a borough (or citadel, in Sandbach's translation), who watched over the eternally-burning flame, or lamp (foddik).

English has lots of Danish, Latin, French, German etc. but they're not historically related to the Romans so that's debatable but I can easily look up whether there is a genetic base for them. Unfair to ask that question here, wasn't really thinking.

Finns are like Sami (I know a lot of Russians too, but historically) people and the Estonians Nordic? Anyway, again, I can look that up. I'm unsure of those things so don't think I'm making statements just what I thought was the case.

The first map does indeed show Sweden. Apologies!

Edited by zxc

English has lots of Danish, Latin, French, German etc. but they're not historically related to the Romans so that's debatable but I can easily look up whether there is a genetic base for them. Unfair to ask that question here, wasn't really thinking.

Finns are like Sami (I know a lot of Russians too, but historically) people and the Estonians Nordic? Anyway, again, I can look that up. I'm unsure of those things so don't think I'm making statements just what I thought was the case.

The first map does indeed show Sweden. Apologies!

The English are more closely related to the Danes and the Germans than they are the Romans, but all belong to the Indo-European group. Unlike the Finns.

The English are more closely related to the Danes and the Germans than they are the Romans, but all belong to the Indo-European group. Unlike the Finns.

The English, Danes (The Northern English pretty much are Danes) and Germans share a lot of blood. Obviously Britain was ruled by the Roman so there was some interbreeding.

It just seems to me that Finns and Hungarians (Magyars) are not very similar in appearance, sure the language is closer than others but...

Not arguing as my knowledge is slight on this subject.

Do you think the Oera Linda book is definately real, possibly real or a hoax?

Are you Frisian?

Edited by zxc

The English, Danes (The Northern English pretty much are Danes) and Germans share a lot of blood. Obviously Britain was ruled by the Roman so there was interbreeding.

It just seems to me that Finns and Hungarians (Magyars) are not very similar in appearance, sure the language is closer than others but...

Not arguing as my knowledge is slight on this subject.

Do you think the Oera Linda book is definately real, possibly real or a hoax?

Are you Frisian?

It's quite possible that the Magyars who settled in central Europe a millennium ago only constituted a small ruling elite, who imposed their language on the population.

I think the OLB is a collection of stories and legends, mostly passed down orally with perhaps some witten sources as well, put together in the 19th century and influenced by prevailing ideas about Classical mythology, religion and anthropology.

I'm English.

It's quite possible that the Magyars who settled in central Europe a millennium ago only constituted a small ruling elite, who imposed their language on the population.

I think the OLB is a collection of stories and legends, mostly passed down orally with perhaps some witten sources as well, put together in the 19th century and influenced by prevailing ideas about Classical mythology, religion and anthropology.

I'm English.

So you think it is genuine in the sense that there was no intent to deceive, but, it's not historically accurate (or if it is it's by virtue of the influence of classical mythology)?

I'm quite interested by the use of the word topsailman, are you capable of translating from the Oera Linda?

So you think it is genuine in the sense that there was no intent to deceive, but, it's not historically accurate (or if it is it's by virtue of the influence of classical mythology)?

I'm quite interested by the use of the word topsailman, are you capable of translating from the Oera Linda?

It is as historically accurate as any work of mythology, e.g. the Prose Edda, with which is has much in common. Its primary intent is religious in nature. Specifically, it seeks to revive the pre-Christian religion of the Frisians. It also, I suspect, draws on Frisian chronicles, now lost.

The word translated by Sandbach as topsailman is prentara, which means a pilot's apprentice.

Edited by Tony S.
  • Like 1