Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 3]

Abramelin

It is as historically accurate as any work of mythology, e.g. the Prose Edda, with which is has much in common. Its primary intent is religious in nature. Specifically, it seeks to revive the pre-Christian religion of the Frisians. It also, I suspect, draws on Frisian chronicles, now lost.

The word translated by Sandbach as topsailman is prentara, which means a pilot's apprentice.

Thank you, if so I'd suggest lookout, or even pilot's apprentice would be better than topsailsman (I noted somebody interested in translation earlier in the thread). Though I'm surprised that an apprentice is mentioned in law before his master, is there mention of a pilot?

There is a lot of talk here about access to the red sea and suchlike, do you think that the Oera Linda is of any real value to such things as historically rising or receeding waters?

Do you believe in Atlantis? If so, aree those beliefs shaped in any major way by the Oera Linda?

This reads somewhat like an interrogation. Sorry about that, I'm just curious.

I first heard of the Oera Linda book yesterday.

Thank you, if so I'd suggest lookout, or even pilot's apprentice would be better than topsailsman (I noted somebody interested in translation earlier in the thread). Though I'm surprised that an apprentice is mentioned in law before his master, is there mention of a pilot?

There is a lot of talk here about access to the red sea and suchlike, do you think that the Oera Linda is of any real value to such things as historically rising or receeding waters?

Do you believe in Atlantis? If so, aree those beliefs shaped in any major way by the Oera Linda?

This reads somewhat like an interrogation. Sorry about that, I'm just curious.

I first heard of the Oera Linda book yesterday.

The captains (skiprun) are mentioned earlier.

There is certainly much of value in the OLB. For example, its date for the destruction of Atland, 2194 BC, is now known to be very close to the previous appearance of Comet Hale-Bopp, a fact unknown until the 1990s.

The OLB's description of Atland, or Atlantis, corresponds very closely to the submerged land in the North Sea called Doggerland by archaeologists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland

The captains (skiprun) are mentioned earlier.

There is certainly much of value in the OLB. For example, its date for the destruction of Atland, 2194 BC, is now known to be very close to the previous appearance of Comet Hale-Bopp, a fact unknown until the 1990s.

The OLB's description of Atland, or Atlantis, corresponds very closely to the submerged land in the North Sea called Doggerland by archaeologists.

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Doggerland

Perhaps Skipper and Skippers Apprentice/Mate would be better then.

Is the Oera Linda more accurate in regards to Atland/Atlantis/Doggerland than other works of Mythology that it is, apparently, influenced by?

Perhaps Skipper and Skippers Apprentice/Mate would be better then.

Is the Oera Linda more accurate in regards to Atland/Atlantis/Doggerland than other works of Mythology that it is, apparently, influenced by?

Yes, perhaps they would. Sandbach's translation, made in 1876, is problematic in a number of places.

Since the OLB appears to be based, at least in part, on lost chronicles, it is better in this regard.

Yes, perhaps they would. Sandbach's translation, made in 1876, is problematic in a number of places.

Since the OLB appears to be based, at least in part, on lost chronicles, it is better in this regard.

So the OLB is more accurate than other historical works that deal with, or mention, Atlantis/Atland?

Is the OLB more accurate, in any significant way, on any other ancient history and/or geography?

Thanks for your patience, I have a little more knowledge on it now anyway haha.

So the OLB is more accurate than other historical works that deal with, or mention, Atlantis/Atland?

Is the OLB more accurate, in any significant way, on any other ancient history and/or geography?

Thanks for your patience, I have a little more knowledge on it now anyway haha.

It depends on the work in question. Plato's account, for example, is based on Egyptian sources, now also lost. His description does not fully correspond to that in the OLB, but this is what we should expect, given the very different routes by which he came by the information. Similarly, Celtic legend has many references to sunken lands. Which of these is more accurate can only be determined by archaeology, or some other, independent source.

What is also clear with the OLB is that it begins in the realms of mythology, with the creation of the earth, and gradually becomes more historical, and detailed, the closer it gets to the present.

But it is not primarily a work of history. Rather, its purpose is to describe a matriarchal, pre-Christian religion.

http://oeralinda.webs.com/maidens-citadels-yule

You were saying that Doggerland corresponds geographically with Atland though, which would suggest that either the OLB is more, or at least as, accurate than any other description.

I'll have to read Plato's account.

It would seem that this matriarchal religion was followed while Christianity was a force in the region.

Is the OLB a lot bigger in Holland, Germany and Scandinavian countries? How did you hear of it, as part of some research into Atlantis perhaps?

You were saying that Doggerland corresponds geographically with Atland though, which would suggest that either the OLB is more, or at least as, accurate than any other description.

I'll have to read Plato's account.

It would seem that this matriarchal religion was followed while Christianity was a force in the region.

Is the OLB a lot bigger in Holland, Germany and Scandinavian countries? How did you hear of it, as part of some research into Atlantis perhaps?

Yes, archaeology does tend to confirm the account in the OLB. It also confirms the extent of Frisian lands given in the OLB, which correspond very closely to the European megalithic culture.

The matriarchal religion existed long before Christianity, since at least 2194 BC. It much later came into conflict with it though, and the priestesses of the old religion were driven underground.

Yes, as part of my research into lost lands and civilisations.

Edited by Tony S.

Yes, archaeology does tend to confirm the account in the OLB. It also confirms the extent of Frisian lands given in the OLB, which correspond very closely to the European megalithic culture.

The matriarchal religion existed long before Christianity, since at least 2194 BC. It much later came into conflict with it though, and the priestesses of the old religion were driven underground.

Yes, as part of my research into lost lands and civilisations.

Is there any evidence that the society was matriarchal, or just the religion?

So the Orkney and Shetland Megalithic structures are all Frisian? Are all the Megalithic sites we know of in Western Europe Frisian or were there other cultures within thise lands?

Is there a feeling within the OLB community that Frisians were the first Europeans? Perhaps some may think they evolved in Europe? Is that a far fetched question?

Is there any evidence that the society was matriarchal, or just the religion?

So the Orkney and Shetland Megalithic structures are all Frisian? Are all the Megalithic sites we know of in Western Europe Frisian or were there other cultures within thise lands?

Is there a feeling within the OLB community that Frisians were the first Europeans? Perhaps some may think they evolved in Europe? Is that a far fetched question?

The evidence that the society was matriarchal is found throughout the OLB.

Given the culturual unity found throughout Western Europe in the megalithic period, and the description of the extent of Frisian lands in the OLB, it is likely that they are synonymous.

The megalith builders were the first farmers in Europe, so in that sense were the first Europeans. Their civilisation probably evolved here too, since it is older than those of the Middle East, for example.

The evidence that the society was matriarchal is found throughout the OLB.

Given the culturual unity found throughout Western Europe in the megalithic period, and the description of the extent of Frisian lands in the OLB, it is likely that they are synonymous.

The megalith builders were the first farmers in Europe, so in that sense were the first Europeans. Their civilisation probably evolved here too, since it is older than those of the Middle East, for example.

I'll have to read it more carefully.

There is mention of a white, black and yellow people, do you think that refers to Frisians (White), Africans or Turkic peoples (black)?

Who would the yellow be, Central Asians, Armenians, Turkic peoples, Chinese?

Do you think that the colouring refers to hair rather than skin hue?

Edited by zxc

I'll have to read it more carefully.

There is mention of a white, black and yellow people, do you think that refers to Frisians (White), Africans or Turkic peoples (black)?

Who would the yellow be, Central Asians, Armenians, Turkic peoples, Chinese?

Do you think that the colouring refers to hair rather than skin hue?

It probably refers to Europeans, Asians and Africans, and is similar to a number of origin myths that seek to explain the diversity that exists in the human population. Its unique feature, however, is that the three individuals concerned are women, in keeping with the matriarchal theme.

It probably refers to Europeans, Asians and Africans, and is similar to a number of origin myths that seek to explain the diversity that exists in the human population. Its unique feature, however, is that the three individuals concerned are women, in keeping with the matriarchal theme.

I agree.

The 3 mothers are depicted as coloured white, yellow and black and co-incides with the continents. Frya is white European, Finda is yellow skinned Asiatic and Lyda is black with hair curled like a lambs, seemingly African.

Good clear answers Tony.

I agree.

The 3 mothers are depicted as coloured white, yellow and black and co-incides with the continents. Frya is white European, Finda is yellow skinned Asiatic and Lyda is black with hair curled like a lambs, seemingly African.

Good clear answers Tony.

Thanks.

Having white, black and yellow only means we don't have any brown Arab/Turkic/Indian people, that seems a bit odd if there are only three groups.

Due to the lamb-like (thank you also to Puzzler) hair we can presume, fairly safely, that the black are African rather than Arabic, but, what of yellow, isn't it more likely that they'd've been one of the above mentioned peoples?

Yellow people are, after all, very far away from where the maps show the Frisian empire.

Is empire a good term?

Edited by zxc

Having white, black and yellow only means we don't have any brown Arab/Turkic/Indian people, that seems a bit odd if there are only three groups.

Due to the lamb-like (thank you Puzzler) hair we can presume, fairly safely, that the black are African rather than Arabic, but, what of yellow, isn't it more likely that they'd've been one of the above mentioned peoples?

Yellow people are, after all, very far away from where the maps show the Frisian empire.

Is empire a good term?

The creation myth should not be regarded as an anthropological treatise. The Finns, for instance, descendents of Finda, are also, originally, from Asia.

I believe women like the Vestal Virgins were knowledgable of this ancient matriarchal society, interwoven into another culture and treated differently but in essence the keepers of the laws and vestiges of Old Europe.

Festa was about to light her new lamp, and when she had done so in the presence of all the people, http://oeralinda.webs.com/oera-linda-book#3

In ancient Rome, the Vestals or Vestal Virgins (Vestales, singular Vestalis) were priestesses of Vesta, goddess of the hearth. The College of the Vestals and its well-being was regarded as fundamental to the continuance and security of Rome. They cultivated the sacred fire that was not allowed to go out. The Vestals were freed of the usual social obligations to marry and bear children, and took a vow of chastity in order to devote themselves to the study and correct observance of state rituals that were off-limits to the male colleges of priests. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestal_Virgin

They were introduced very early into Rome (from Alba Longa) with Numa Pompilius, who also took advice from a mystery woman figure whose wisdom was ancient, named Egeria.

most famously the nymph Egeria, who according to legend taught him to be a wise legislator. According to Livy, Numa claimed that he held nightly consultations with Egeria on the proper manner of instituting sacred rites for the city https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numa_Pompilius

The creation myth should not be regarded as an anthropological treatise. The Finns, for instance, descendents of Finda, are also, originally, from Asia.

I don't consider it as anything other than an interesting work that I was entirely ignorant until only very recently.

Some people do, however, view it as a sort of anthropological treatise in a sense though don't they?

The Finns are descended from Asia because of their genetics, and because of what is written in the OLB?

Edited by zxc

I believe women like the Vestal Virgins were knowledgable of this ancient matriarchal society, interwoven into another culture and treated differently but in essence the keepers of the laws and vestiges of Old Europe.

Festa was about to light her new lamp, and when she had done so in the presence of all the people, http://oeralinda.web...ra-linda-book#3

In ancient Rome, the Vestals or Vestal Virgins (Vestales, singular Vestalis) were priestesses of Vesta, goddess of the hearth. The College of the Vestals and its well-being was regarded as fundamental to the continuance and security of Rome. They cultivated the sacred fire that was not allowed to go out. The Vestals were freed of the usual social obligations to marry and bear children, and took a vow of chastity in order to devote themselves to the study and correct observance of state rituals that were off-limits to the male colleges of priests. https://en.wikipedia...i/Vestal_Virgin

They were introduced very early into Rome (from Alba Longa) with Numa Pompilius, who also took advice from a mystery woman figure whose wisdom was ancient, named Egeria.

most famously the nymph Egeria, who according to legend taught him to be a wise legislator. According to Livy, Numa claimed that he held nightly consultations with Egeria on the proper manner of instituting sacred rites for the city https://en.wikipedia.../Numa_Pompilius

It is significant that there were outposts of the megalithic culture in Italy, too, which might account for the connection.

• Like 1

Festa was about to light her new lamp, and when she had done so in the presence of all the people, http://oeralinda.web...ra-linda-book#3

In ancient Rome, the Vestals or Vestal Virgins (Vestales, singular Vestalis) were priestesses of Vesta, goddess of the hearth. The College of the Vestals and its well-being was regarded as fundamental to the continuance and security of Rome. They cultivated the sacred fire that was not allowed to go out. The Vestals were freed of the usual social obligations to marry and bear children, and took a vow of chastity in order to devote themselves to the study and correct observance of state rituals that were off-limits to the male colleges of priests. https://en.wikipedia...i/Vestal_Virgin

most famously the nymph Egeria, who according to legend taught him to be a wise legislator. According to Livy, Numa claimed that he held nightly consultations with Egeria on the proper manner of instituting sacred rites for the city https://en.wikipedia.../Numa_Pompilius

You believe that the idea of the Vestal Virgins was Frisian and that the Romans took the idea, or were the Vestal Virgins also, in the beginning, Frisians?

Egeria was a Frisian? Perhaps the Frisian high Priestess?

Yes, the colony map shows part of Italy being inhabited, but of course the Romans did take a lot of their culture and ideas from all around the known world.

Edited by zxc

I don't consider it as anything other than an interesting work that I was entirely ignorant until only very recently.

Some people do, however, view it as a sort of anthropological treatise in a sense though don't they?

The Finns are descended from Asia because of their genetics, and because of what is written in the OLB?

I don't think it's useful to regard it as an anthropological treatise, since that is not its purpose.

Mainly because the Finno-Ugric people actually are descended from Asian peoples. Specifically, those living in Siberia. Related groups still exist there, in the Ural area.

You believe that the idea of the Vestal Virgins was Frisian and that the Romans took the idea, or were the Vestal Virgins also, in the beginning, Frisians?

Yes, the colony map shows part of Italy being inhabited, but of course the Romans did take a lot of their culture and ideas from all around the known world.

The first Folksmoder was named Fasta.

I don't think it's useful to regard it as an anthropological treatise, since that is not its purpose.

Mainly because the Finno-Ugric people actually are descended from Asian peoples. Specifically, those living in Siberia. Related groups still exist there, in the Ural area.

Not the primary purpose perhaps but it is brought up and it has caused quite a lot of comment, interest and controversy. Naturally it's therefore of interest.

So it would seem that, according to the OLB, the land to the east was empty?

I believe the Vestal Virgins were an old European Fryan tradition that was alive in Alba Longa before Rome rose to power, possibly Fryans themselves yes, from the outposts they had in Near Krekaland (Italy).

Possibly.

Numa was of Sabine origin, not actually Roman. The Romans stole much of their cultural knowledge from the Sabines, who held the older knowledge of matriarchial law, that's how I believe it filtered into Roman life.

Not the primary purpose perhaps but it is brought up and it has caused quite a lot of comment, interest and controversy. Naturally it's therefore of interest.

So it would seem that, according to the OLB, the land to the east was empty?

The land to the East was full of Findas folk, that is Asia, starting at Asia Minor.

Edited by The Puzzler